• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mshe

mshe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Is there a way to force transcoding for LG TV clients? A couple mp4s are not playing on the TV, and since my computer is extremely powerful, I rather just transcode everything on the server side to ensure the file plays correctly on the TV.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 tinycg

tinycg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Would like to know the same thing, I have a couple things that the LG TV doesnt want to play through media link, I could re-encode them but would rather just transcode them. They play on other devices that support HLS. I've been trying to figure out if the 2012 LG models support HLS.

#3 mshe

mshe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

... So I guess force transcoding is not possible?

How about via DLNA?

#4 convas

convas

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I think the LG TV's are direct play only, not transcoding at all.

#5 mshe

mshe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

I think the LG TV's are direct play only, not transcoding at all.

Thats too bad, but I would have thought Plex's protocol would have seemly transferred a transcoded stream vs direct play stream... I guess not :(

Lucky it's only a couple files I have problems with.

#6 tinycg

tinycg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I guess where I get confused is Plex's own page promoting LG Medialink http://www.plexapp.c...iles/index.html states

Plex Media Server seamlessly connects your Plex clients to all of your local and online media. The combination of networked library management, online content streaming and powerful transcoding functionality provides an unrivaled level of flexibility and ease of use not found in other media server applications.

which makes it sound like Plex can serve transcoded content through to LG Medialink.

#7 Jorik

Jorik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

I would like to know if this is possible as well. This is similar to my topic:
http://forums.plexap...on-compensation

Can we hear from somebody from Plex or LG what are the possibilities for this?

#8 danielponte

danielponte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'd like the opposite, my freaking TV 'tells' Plex that it doesn't support DTS, but it does!!! WTF :/

Is there a way I can force Direct Play / Disable Transcoding?

#9 mshe

mshe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

I'd like the opposite, my freaking TV 'tells' Plex that it doesn't support DTS, but it does!!! WTF :/

Is there a way I can force Direct Play / Disable Transcoding?

Basically I wish there was a way to specify the client settings on the server side... whether to transcode or not to transcode. And perhaps even down to what formats to transcode from/to.

#10 danielponte

danielponte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Basically I wish there was a way to specify the client settings on the server side... whether to transcode or not to transcode. And perhaps even down to what formats to transcode from/to.

+1 for that..

The main reason why I upgraded my LV5500 (2011 series) to the LM6400 (2012) is because they support DTS now... but MediaLink is bugged and won't pass the right capabilities to the server, great. Just great.

#11 Jorik

Jorik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

+1 for that..

The main reason why I upgraded my LV5500 (2011 series) to the LM6400 (2012) is because they support DTS now... but MediaLink is bugged and won't pass the right capabilities to the server, great. Just great.

Daniel, are you sure you don't have the option enabled to downmix DTS to stereo in the Plex Server? When I open the Plex Media Server Preferences on my Mac, under Advanced there is an option to enable downmix, I have this checkbox disabled and my LM620S plays DTS perfectly fine.

#12 danielponte

danielponte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

I double checked that, its not enabled... What firmware version are you using? Can you play DTS on Medialink???

#13 Jorik

Jorik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I have the latest firmware on my tv: 4.10.37
and yes I have DTS working (with audio via HDMI / ARC to my receiver). BTW we should maybe create a separate topic for this as it is not really in the same scope as "force transcoding" I think ;-)

#14 danielponte

danielponte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Ohhh.. you have a HDMI receiver connected.. maybe that's why it's working... can you try unplugging your receiver and testing?

#15 Jorik

Jorik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Ohhh.. you have a HDMI receiver connected.. maybe that's why it's working... can you try unplugging your receiver and testing?

Sure I'll do that when I'm home tonight, do you use digital out from TV to a receiver for DTS? Or do you expect a downsampled Stereo audio from the TV's speakers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users