8 replies to this topic

#1 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2879 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

NB - the new required Plex Media Server is available from http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/.

NEW: search function
NEW: channel store
NEW: MPEG-2 TS transcode format, supporting remuxing for most h264 video (experimental)
NEW: audio and subtitle stream selection for video (subtitles only work when transcoding)
NEW: improved keyboard accessibility, with shortcuts for most important functionality
NEW: release requires Plex Media Server 0.9.7.8 or higher

FIX: corrected video buffering when transcoding using Smooth Streaming
FIX: inability to connect to server on same machine as client
FIX: improved reliability of server discovery
FIX: simplified video resolution and quality preferences
FIX: video resolution and quality preferences default to more conservative values
FIX: highest resolution is now chosen when transcoding video with multiple resolutions
FIX: don't attempt to direct-play file types that don't stream correctly (e.g. avi, mp4 sans early moov atom)
FIX: display warning in video pre-play page when file is unavailable
FIX: buttons now have tooltips (displaying keyboard shortcuts, resume times, etc.)
FIX: crashes if client couldn't talk to server during filter application
FIX: music player repeat button glitches
FIX: music player text wrapping
FIX: main page will refresh itself more reliably when the active server changes
FIX: main page will display server name subtitles for library/channel items when connected to remote server
FIX: touch issues on servers page
FIX: added clarifying text to empty servers page when no servers found
FIX: manually added connections can now be deleted
FIX: overwrite discovered connections whose IP addresses change (e.g. due to DHCP)
FIX: display underlying network error when new connection cannot be established
FIX: many small UI bugs and other issues

Known Issues in 1.0.1.0
[SLSS] Transcoding may take a few seconds to start up. [Appears to be a Microsoft Media Foundation issue.]
[MPEG2-TS]: Resuming video can be unreliable, especially when remuxing. [Appears to be a Microsoft Media Foundation issue.]
[MPEG2-TS]: Seeking is currently not supported. This is temporarily disabled until issues with resume reliability are understood and resolved.
[Search]: When multiple Plex Media Servers are running on the same network, a displayed search result that requires transcoding (video, music or photo) may fail.

#2 John Galt

John Galt

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Looks great! Do you have any advise on how to recode mp4s to have the "early moov atom" with ffmpeg or otherwise? All of my mp4s and m4vs are still transcoding instead of direct playing.

Also do you have a list of short cuts that we're enabled?

#3 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2879 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Well, two things on unoptimized mp4:

First, you can use a free tool called qtfaststart to shift the moov atom to the beginning of the file. cf http://multimedia.cx...g-qt-faststart/

Second, the next release of the app after 1.0.1.0 will have a workaround for this issue, which is basically the odd inability of the Microsoft Media Foundation to do HTTP range requests. Basically we tell the MMF that we have a local file, and then we perform HTTP range requests behind the scenes (i.e. what they really ought to be doing). It's not perfect because "seeks" are slow, but my limited testing indicates it's way better than transcoding.

#4 John Galt

John Galt

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I just ran qt-faststart on 3 files that it's transcoding (including the one listed in my "observations" post in this forum) and all 3 say that the moov atom isn't the last atom in the file. (assuming this means that it's already in the right spot?)

Looking forward to the work around! Would be great to not have this issue again. Will this also work with remuxing mkvs?

#5 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2879 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I just ran qt-faststart on 3 files that it's transcoding (including the one listed in my "observations" post in this forum) and all 3 say that the moov atom isn't the last atom in the file. (assuming this means that it's already in the right spot?)

Yeah, presumably it does.

But in any case, you can look in the Plex Media Server media analysis data for the media: the "optimizedForStreaming" attribute will give you our opinion. That's the metadata the Plex client is using to make its decisions, in any case.

You can also use AtomicParsley to take a closer look at your files: http://atomicparsley...peg-4files.html

Looking forward to the work around! Would be great to not have this issue again. Will this also work with remuxing mkvs?

No, unfortunately that's a separate issue. MKV will be directplayable only when the Microsoft Media Foundation has an MKV splitter available.

That said, with mpegts you can remux MKV if the h264 is suitable (i.e. cabac and no header stripping).

#6 darrenmc

darrenmc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Many thanks for the quick turn around on this one!

#7 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2879 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Oh, and for keyboard shortcuts, we used tooltips on buttons to document most of them. The media navigation ones are basically the ones from Microsoft's guidelines. Cf http://msdn.microsof...board_shortcuts

#8 bartonkt

bartonkt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Still no IR remote support for this release, correct?

Important to note for those running Win8 on their HTPC boxes, it's better to stick with Plex Home Theater for Windows. I did purchase the Win8 app, in part because I wanted to support the Plex developers. It is, however, useless for my usage scenario (sitting on couch, face implanted into bag of cheetos, scrolling through movies/tv with the remote).

#9 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2879 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Still no IR remote support for this release, correct?

No explicit support in this release. That said, if you remap keys to the keyboard accelerators we implemented, it should get you 99% there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users