• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 enforcer

enforcer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

Hi all, Is there any other way to play DIVX/XVID files stored on a burned dvd without having to "add a media source" for each different dvd? With a regular DVD it just plays as normal. Is there any way to automatically pop up a list of all files on that dvd so you can simply select? I dont know if anyone on here has played with Media Portal (www.team-mediaportal.net) but ive been using it for some time and have been wanting to go to a more elegant solution.... hence my exploration of PLEX. Media Portal will ask upon insertion if I want to play the dvd/cd (regular or divx/xvid/mp3) and then either play normal or bring up a file list where I can select the individual files. Any ideas?

#2 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

You could add your /Volumes directory as a source (no need to assign a scraper or media type as you won't want it scanning to the library), then any data CD/DVD you insert should appear there when OS X mounts it..

#3 enforcer

enforcer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

You could add your /Volumes directory as a source (no need to assign a scraper or media type as you won't want it scanning to the library), then any data CD/DVD you insert should appear there when OS X mounts it..

Ok I can try that. I still feel as if it will be an issue because PLEX wants to take "inventory" on everything in a directory before it will play. If there was a way to set it so that it would just show file names in that directory opposed to trying to run out to the net and grab info/coverart on whats actually in there.

#4 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

Ok I can try that. I still feel as if it will be an issue because PLEX wants to take "inventory" on everything in a directory before it will play. If there was a way to set it so that it would just show file names in that directory opposed to trying to run out to the net and grab info/coverart on whats actually in there.

Yes - like I suggested, don't add a scraper or media type. The files will only show up under 'Watch my Videos', not under 'Movies' or 'TV Shows' and will not be scanned into your library, but you will be able to browse them in file mode (via Watch my Videos).

#5 enforcer

enforcer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

Mind providing some steps? :rolleyes: Sry for the nube questions. Im new to PLEX..... AND MACS! :blink:

#6 TGB

TGB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

This is less than ideal, as it will hunt all volumes, including the main hard disk, for files.

In my case it's also less than ideal as I have an external drive attached on which I have organized movies and TV shows, and which are added to the normal Plex scanners (as TV shows and Movies). So adding /Volumes causes ALL of that hard disk to be added again, as well as the DVD I have inserted.

Plex really needs a solution to removable media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users