• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 agp1979

agp1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I apologize if this has been covered already but I did try and do some searches prior to this. I'm new to my Plex setup and its all been fantastic so far. My question is in regards to the publishing feature to myPlex. I realize the great benefits of publishing so you can access your collection from anywhere but what would be the benefits (if any) of NOT publishing your server?

In my situation I have media server setup on a mac mini in my basement and really am only interested in accessing my collection from inside my home network via a roku box, ps3 and android tablet. In this situation would just leaving my server unpublished be a smart option? and along with that will I have any issues streaming locally on my network to these devices if i unpublish?

I will preface this with that I do realize that if i unpublish, i probably will need to remote onto that mac mini that holds the media server to make any changes which i'm ok with

thank you for your help!

#2 phroenips

phroenips

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

I apologize if this has been covered already but I did try and do some searches prior to this. I'm new to my Plex setup and its all been fantastic so far. My question is in regards to the publishing feature to myPlex. I realize the great benefits of publishing so you can access your collection from anywhere but what would be the benefits (if any) of NOT publishing your server?

In my situation I have media server setup on a mac mini in my basement and really am only interested in accessing my collection from inside my home network via a roku box, ps3 and android tablet. In this situation would just leaving my server unpublished be a smart option? and along with that will I have any issues streaming locally on my network to these devices if i unpublish?

I will preface this with that I do realize that if i unpublish, i probably will need to remote onto that mac mini that holds the media server to make any changes which i'm ok with

thank you for your help!

Publishing is only needed if you want to access your library remotely. Nothing more, noting less. By unpublishing, this is the functionality that existed before the advent of myPlex ;)

#3 agp1979

agp1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Publishing is only needed if you want to access your library remotely. Nothing more, noting less. By unpublishing, this is the functionality that existed before the advent of myPlex ;)

great thank you for your input. so it sounds like if right now i only want to access my library from within my local environment (from various wifi clients on my LAN) unpublishing shouldn't be an issue. for some reason i thought i DID do an unpublish once and a day later i went in to find it was published again (i might just not have saved my settings i would bet though).

With that whole court ruling this past october deeming DVD ripping (even if you legally own the DVD) to a digital format as illegal, its got me second guessing moving forward with Plex unfortunately

thank you for your help again

#4 BigWheel

BigWheel

One Who Keeps Turning

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3177 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

The only other thing I can think of not being able to use the myplex queue for saved videos you find on the interwebs. Though it doesn't sound like you use that feature

Note to self- awesome software coupled with awesome user community.. worth putting up with a minor annoyance now and then.

Troll Hunter (2011) enjoyed because of it's sillyness, "Raglefants" are nuts

Snowpiercer (2013) soooooo weird but i could not stop once i started it

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer   a crazy movie but so good

Media Prep , Server Logs , MEDIA INFO , Why can't find that Plex folder on OS X

#5 agp1979

agp1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

The only other thing I can think of not being able to use the myplex queue for saved videos you find on the interwebs. Though it doesn't sound like you use that feature

naa while it sounds like a cool feature, i'm really looking for the basic in-home streaming of my own collection. thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users