• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

The library scan seems to have omitted quite a lot of one particular series. It has scanned the first season perfectly but has only added the 2nd episode of season 2, the 3rd episode of season 3 etc...

All seasons are ripped from a dvd collection and are the same format, bit rate etc and follow the same, logical naming convention:

"series name" Season * Episode * - "Episode name"

I've since tried changing the naming of the 2nd series, as a test, to:

"series name" S**E** - "Episode name"

...which seemed, at a glance to have updated the library but when I go in to take a closer look, the library simply contains six instances of episode 2. Infuriating. Is there no way of manually adding files the library has failed to scan?

Between this and the awful playback issues I've been having (on the host computer but none of the devices I've tried streaming to... the mind boggles) I've been doing a fair amount of this..

Posted Image

#2 blatantsubtext

blatantsubtext

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Besides being named correctly, are they also placed in appropriate subfolders for each season? (ie ~/SERIES/S01/SERIES - S01E01 - Tada.mp4)

If everything is consistently named and ripped using the same settings, this can be the only thing I can think of.

And no, there's not really a way to manually add things.

#3 convas

convas

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1057 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Also dont put them in the root folder

ie c:\SERIES\S01\SERIES - S01E01 - Tada.mp4

instead put them in a sub folder

ie c:\tvshows\SERIES\S01\SERIES - S01E01 - Tada.mp4

#4 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Cheers for the suggestions both but yeah.. they're already as you've suggested.

I have a parent folder for all TV shows, a folder per show, containing subfolders for each season.

Other large series are also organised on the same computer this way and scan perfectly.

I've attempted adjustments to naming conventions, as previously mentioned and re-scanned the drive.

The files it misses work perfectly outside of plex. As tedious as manually adding files is, it's infuriating that that functionality seems completely absent!

#5 blatantsubtext

blatantsubtext

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Out of curiosity, what metadata agent are you using (default is TheTVDB) and what actually is the show? Checking to see what info www.thetvdb.com actually has on the show might shed some light on the situation.

Also, can you upload your logs (http://forums.plexap...ogs-on-windows/), especially the media scanner and media server ones? To sort of clean up the log entries a little, it could help if you do the following:

• Move the offending TV show episodes to a new TV shows folder separate from your shows that are working.
  • Rescan your TV show section so that the "bad" TV show gets removed from your database.
  • On the Home screen of the Web Client, click Manage in the top right corner of the My Library section.
  • Click "Clean Bundles"
  • Wait for all the old bundles to get deleted. If I remember correctly, there's no visual cue for this; I just waited until files stopped popping up in my Recycle Bin.
  • Close and reopen your media server.
  • Add a new TV show section to your library and call it Test. Add the folder containing the offending TV show.
  • Let Plex do its metadata and scanning thing.
  • Confirm that the issue is still happening and reupload log files.

That should ensure that only relevant information gets put into the log files and should rule out a bad download from your metadata agent. Hopefully we can see what's happening after that.

EDIT: Also, can you give me a real filename and not just the format you're using. The series scanner uses regular expressions to parse filename info, and regex can get touchy if things are not exactly as it expects.

#6 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Hi, cheers for the reply. I'll try all of this tomorrow and hopefully have something to report back.

In any case, is it at all likely that future updates might allow the manual entry of files?

Thanks again

#7 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Hi, hoping to have a crack at this now.

The series is Red Dwarf. All seasons are listed in their entirety at theTVDB.com and my naming convention mirrors that displayed at tvdb

eg:

Red Dwarf Season 03 Episode 01 - Backwards

followed all of the above steps with the exact same results. Scans all 6 episodes of the 1st series then only the 2nd of season 2, 3rd of season 3, 4th of 4..... All of the items it has managed to scan have the correct metadata!

I've added a zip of the contents of my logs folder here. Is that what you meant by uplpoading the logs?

Attached File  unclejamboLogs.zip   4.64MB   3 downloads

#8 blatantsubtext

blatantsubtext

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I was going to try to test your naming scheme on my computer, but it's being a bit of pain right now and won't let me add a new Test section. But that's a different issue.

Out of curiosity, have you tried using a separator between the show and episode? My files would be "Red Dwarf - S02E01 - Backwards.mp4". Symbols (and sometimes lack of symbols) can have weird consequences with regex. I once appended air date to the end of my TV episodes and it decided I had a new season for each episode.

Let me know if that works. When I get my server working right again, I'll try out the naming convention you've got going.

EDIT: Also, your logs indicated that media information was getting reused. So it's carrying over some matching that was done previously. It makes me think the bundles didn't get cleaned completely. Still, it's clearly matching it the same way it had matched it previously (otherwise it wouldn't have reused information) so something about that naming is confounding it.

#9 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

It was without separators but just tried adding them to one of the files to no effect.

I've added 2 seasons of Eastbound and Down to my hard drive since but only one of them (the second) scans. Again, same naming convention. Then checked on the TVDB for it's naming. Differs on there so I changed a file name to that convention. Closed, reopened plex, refreshed the folder, then the section and when neither did anything forced a deep scan and still nothing.

#10 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Managed to get Eastbound & Down to scan, seems like maybe it was the ampersand that was needed.. still, no joy whatsoever with Red Dwarf.

#11 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Still really baffled by this one! BUMP!

#12 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

And another Bump!!

Surely somebody has some suggestions?

#13 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Though it appears I'm talking to the ether... Bump!

There should be a way to manually add files (not just as home movies)

#14 Unclejambo

Unclejambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Nobody? My problem aside, does nobody else feel there should be a manual add function?

#15 capefearless

capefearless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

+1 for the option to manually add.

I am having a similar problem which you can read about here:

http://forums.plexap...ning-deep-scan/

Did you ever get any sort of resolution or have any tips?

#16 capefearless

capefearless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

I think I found the solution...

In my case the trouble was that I had my TV Shows on a NAS and simply had PMS pointed at the appropriate Share  The only thing in that "share" were my TV Shows and all were set up properly with: Parent Folders for the Series/Child Folders for the Seasons/properly named Shows.  

HOWEVER - I did not create a "Parent Folder" named "TV Shows" and simply had PMS pointed at the root of the Share (since the only thing there was TV Shows).  Evidently, this creates issues for PMS.  Once I created this folder, moved the show folders into it, added it to the libraries in PMS and performed a deep scan it now seems to work properly.  

I have a large library and so it will probably take a coupe of days for everything to settle down and allow for a full test but I'll come back and edit if this doesn't fix my issues.

So to recap, it is evidently critical that you have a main "TV Shows" (or "Movies", "Music" or etc.) folder and point PMS at that folder and NOT at the root of the drive or share.  I saw where other folks were having similar issues in other threads and some suggested this as a fix and so just wanted to post this here so hopefully it can help others who may not see those threads.

#17 Airwa1k

Airwa1k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think I found the solution...

In my case the trouble was that I had my TV Shows on a NAS and simply had PMS pointed at the appropriate Share  The only thing in that "share" were my TV Shows and all were set up properly with: Parent Folders for the Series/Child Folders for the Seasons/properly named Shows.  

HOWEVER - I did not create a "Parent Folder" named "TV Shows" and simply had PMS pointed at the root of the Share (since the only thing there was TV Shows).  Evidently, this creates issues for PMS.  Once I created this folder, moved the show folders into it, added it to the libraries in PMS and performed a deep scan it now seems to work properly.  

I have a large library and so it will probably take a coupe of days for everything to settle down and allow for a full test but I'll come back and edit if this doesn't fix my issues.

So to recap, it is evidently critical that you have a main "TV Shows" (or "Movies", "Music" or etc.) folder and point PMS at that folder and NOT at the root of the drive or share.  I saw where other folks were having similar issues in other threads and some suggested this as a fix and so just wanted to post this here so hopefully it can help others who may not see those threads.

This is not a solution for everyone. I have everything set up properly including my Tv Shows folder. However I can not add certain episodes from certain shows. It will not add. Simply put. How the heck was manual creation not added to the Plex server software? We record Game Of Thrones and add each episode. Its worked fine all three seasons until last episode. Now it wont add it. Nothing has changed. Same method. Plays fine on all other media players. Plex is the only one that will not work.

#18 capefearless

capefearless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

This is not a solution for everyone. I have everything set up properly including my Tv Shows folder. However I can not add certain episodes from certain shows. It will not add. Simply put. How the heck was manual creation not added to the Plex server software? We record Game Of Thrones and add each episode. Its worked fine all three seasons until last episode. Now it wont add it. Nothing has changed. Same method. Plays fine on all other media players. Plex is the only one that will not work.

As it turns out, it wasn't a complete solution for me either.  Below is a post I made in a different thread but figured I'd post it here for you...

I don't know if this will help anyone, but here is something that I discovered...

I had a number of shows that were either (1) not showing up in Plex, or (2) Showing up in the wrong place - as in under a similarly named show.

I triple checked the naming conventions, removed them from the Plex folder, ran a deep scan, emptied the trash, moved them back to Plex folder only to have them re-appear in the same/wrong Series folder.  I did this a few times and it still wouldn't work correctly. This was driving me Crazy!

I noticed that it was always the same episodes/files that were affected.  As such, I knew that there had to be something with the specific files which was making Plex misbehave.  

I went in and examined each problem file and compared them to the files that were being handled correctly.  The file name/conventions were correct on all of them.  Finally, I noticed that there was some embedded metadata/details such as series/episode and etc. in the problem files that wasn't in the files that worked correctly (I could see this extra info on the bottom of the windows folder when I clicked on the file in question).

As an experiment I:

• Right Clicked on the file in question
  • Clicked on "Properties"
  • Clicked on the "Details" tab
  • Clicked "Remove Properties & Personal Information"
  • Chose "Create a copy with all possible properties removed"

Then, I removed the Series folders (both the Series where the show belonged and also the Series where Plex was incorrectly showing them) from the Plex folder, ran a deep scan again and emptied the trash when it was complete.

Next, I Replaced the Series Folder back in the Plex folder WITH ONLY THE NEW "NO PROPERTIES" FILE and the other episodes that were previously correct.

Finally, I ran a deep scan again and Plex now correctly identified and cataloged the file!

I went back and removed the personal properties from all of the affected files, replaced them in their respective appropriate folders and ran another deep scan and now everything is working as it should.  I'm not sure if all of the removing/deep scanning/emptying of trash/replacing and deep scanning was necessary - but again this was driving me nuts and so may have went a little over-board.

In any case - if you are having issues, look at the properties of your problem files and see if there is any embedded metadata/properties.

I hope this helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users