1 reply to this topic

#1 Tobias Hieta

Tobias Hieta

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4568 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

As most people have probably already heard we have rebooted the Plex Media Center into Plex Home Theater, this codebase will allow us to publish a official Plex/HT client for Linux. Currently we publish binaries of Plex/HT to people that are subscribing to a PlexPass, if you are PlexPass user you should really check it out!

I also want to reach out to people that want to help build Plex/HT for Linux, we are planning OpenELEC type distribution with Plex/HT onboard so there is a lot of work and we won't be able to do it all ourself. If you are interested (plexpass or not), contact me with a PM here on the forum or tweet me at @tobiashieta and I will invite you to get source code and access to our chat room.

I also would like to extend my thanks to Gewalker that got the ball rolling with PMC and all the hard work he did with it!

Thanks,
Plex dev team via Tobias
  • Fevida, Mark Walker, oskarl and 21 others like this

Follow me on twitter @tobiashieta or G+

#2 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2362 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

So as there is some attention on this pinned post I'm going to drop an editorial update for it. Its a little late to the party, but its based on what we found out back then and how we progressed to where we are today.

We started out with a plan to have a generic PHT build that would run on Linux, but we found out during that process that due to all the libs that PHT links to (x11/vaapi/glibc/etc) that it wasn't possible to make the build generic, so what we did instead was choose another approach, and we still strive to follow up on this. And that's supporting the building of PHT on linux, and also take in PR's and fix bugs when we can find out how to fix them. That means that we won't be able to provide an official package by Plex but in exchange we have chosen to back the community builds that our Plex Ninja Christian does for Ubuntu and the Fedora/CentOS/OpenELEC-PHT that I do in my spare time ( I owe some newer Fedora builds and I'll make amends ). Granted they don't always get the very same amount of dev work that is put into the OS X/Windows builds, but it's not far off, and yes there are a few bugs we still need to crush on linux and we will get to them.

So I hope this sheds some light on the whole "official" build situation and that it's not too bad that we have the Ubuntu and Fedora/CentOS and OpenELEC builds.

The Linux builds can be found via this thread: https://forums.plex....r-linux-builds/

Thanks,
Plex Dev team via Mark

• AtariBaby likes this
Get you Plex guides here: Naming Guide, NAS Guide, NTFS on Linux Guide, Linux Permissions Guide, Logs & Library Maintenance Help, Plex Help Page.

My Plex world:
Primary PMS: NAS - 24 bay Inter-Tech 4324L, Xeon E3-1230v2, SuperMicro X9SCM-F, 60GB Vertex SSD + 240GB Vertex SSD, 28TB Storage
HTPC/EyeTV: Mid 2011 Mac Mini 4GB RAM 60GB Vertex SSD, 50" Kuro
Clients: Hackintosh - i7 3770K, 27" CinemaDisplay, 15" rMBP, ATV2, Roku3, iPhone 6 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 3 16GB, riPad mini 32GB, Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, Asus Chromebox