9 replies to this topic

#1 blueview

blueview

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hi All,

Wonder if you can help me with a really frustrating problem.

I have a 2012 LM660 smart tv with Media Link.

Previously I have been wirelessly streaming movies from a Windows Vista PC to the tv with relatively few problems. A few ‘can’t connect to server’ messages but only occasional.

Today I have replaced the old Vista PC with a new PC which is running Windows 8 and now I can’t connect to the TV at all with Media Link.

Having read the forums, I have tried:

Plex version from 0.9.6 upwards, same problem with all
Stopping Bonjour service
Disabling firewall and anti virus
Disabling ipv6
Exiting and restarting PMS

All with no success

I have also noticed that the tv has a problem connecting via dlna using SmartShare. It appears to connect for a few seconds then disconnects. Don’t know if this is related. Didn’t have this problem when running Vista.

Thanks in advance!

#2 mguru

mguru

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

How type of network hardware you have?

Try update drivers of network cards in W8 and setup firewall properly.

#3 blueview

blueview

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

How type of network hardware you have?

Try update drivers of network cards in W8 and setup firewall properly.

Thanks for the suggestions. Network card is Realtek PCIe. I have checked and it has latest driver.

I tried disabling windows firewall altogether and still didn't work. Plex also set as allowed program.

I have messed with this for days and only thing that gets Plex shown on my TV is to reboot my router (a UK 'Sky Hub'). Plex then can connect to Media Link for a while, before it drops again. DLNA works fine though. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#4 mguru

mguru

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Network card is Realtek PCIe. I have checked and it has latest driver.

I tried disabling windows firewall altogether and still didn't work. Plex also set as allowed program.

I have messed with this for days and only thing that gets Plex shown on my TV is to reboot my router (a UK 'Sky Hub'). Plex then can connect to Media Link for a while, before it drops again. DLNA works fine though. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You dont reply how is connected TV and PMS, but Sky Hub is not superior solution for this. As first try upgrade firmware in Sky if exist new.
Second if you use any wireless between TV and PMS, change it to wired. Too config of Sky is critical if ports for TV and PC have not classic swith properties. I mean you use WiFi for one of pcs and Sky Hub use network isolation mode...
Too attach here log file from PMS where you see it on TV to time of drop...

#5 blueview

blueview

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

You dont reply how is connected TV and PMS, but Sky Hub is not superior solution for this. As first try upgrade firmware in Sky if exist new.
Second if you use any wireless between TV and PMS, change it to wired. Too config of Sky is critical if ports for TV and PC have not classic swith properties. I mean you use WiFi for one of pcs and Sky Hub use network isolation mode...
Too attach here log file from PMS where you see it on TV to time of drop...

Thanks it is a wireless connection. Not possible to wire due to location. Router firmware is up to date. Sorry I am no expert, have found log files under appdata/local ... but there are lots, which one do i need to post. thanks for your help, appreciated.

#6 mguru

mguru

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Plex Media Server.log is critical, but if you cant change your network to wired, then we have very low time to help you.

I mean trouble is sourced in power management of Windows 8 vs. Sky Hub WIFI. That drop connection if is not used.
Then plex service havent way to work on TV.

As i write check your drivers for network, but not wired Realtek (this is not used if you are wireless).
Try change power management setup on W8 wireless network card you use.
Secondary obtain how IP adress have your TV and try on windows leave run cmd window with runed ping command to this IP looped.

ping XX.YY.ZZ.TV -t

I recommend you make wired . Wired ethernet have no problem with 100m distance and no problem with streaming HD 3D...

#7 blueview

blueview

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Plex Media Server.log is critical, but if you cant change your network to wired, then we have very low time to help you.

I mean trouble is sourced in power management of Windows 8 vs. Sky Hub WIFI. That drop connection if is not used.
Then plex service havent way to work on TV.

As i write check your drivers for network, but not wired Realtek (this is not used if you are wireless).
Try change power management setup on W8 wireless network card you use.
Secondary obtain how IP adress have your TV and try on windows leave run cmd window with runed ping command to this IP looped.

ping XX.YY.ZZ.TV -t

I recommend you make wired . Wired ethernet have no problem with 100m distance and no problem with streaming HD 3D...

Thanks again. Meant to say I have ethernet conn from win 8 pc to Sky Hub and then wireless broadcast to TV (192.168.0.3),.. this was done while the plex server was 'down'. Have attached screenshot of ping. Honestly don't think it's wireless that is problem, no issues with it anywhere else and dlna works fine. Sense it's something to do with router though, because reset of router is only way I can get to see plex again (albeit temporarily). Any idea how I might change power management of router ... can't see anything obvious in router menus. thanks again.

Attached Files

#8 mguru

mguru

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Thanks again. Meant to say I have ethernet conn from win 8 pc to Sky Hub and then wireless broadcast to TV (192.168.0.3),.. this was done while the plex server was 'down'. Have attached screenshot of ping. Honestly don't think it's wireless that is problem, no issues with it anywhere else and dlna works fine. Sense it's something to do with router though, because reset of router is only way I can get to see plex again (albeit temporarily). Any idea how I might change power management of router ... can't see anything obvious in router menus. thanks again.

Longest time reply, but i test my ping on wired TV and reply times is under 1ms.
On my wifi router 2ms.

Conpare to you...

#9 blueview

blueview

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Longest time reply, but i test my ping on wired TV and reply times is under 1ms.
On my wifi router 2ms.

Conpare to you...

Thanks for your help and to let everyone know the problem is solved. How?

Well it seems using wireless was the problem all along. Bought myself some powerline adapters and now connected via ethernet cable. Media Link has been solid and stable ever since. To anyone who is having 'server not found' errors and who is relying on wireless to connect I would highly recommend ethernet. Solved it for me anyways.

#10 TeddyTigger

TeddyTigger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

So are you using 100% ethernet all the way or are you using powerline adapters with ethernet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users