• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#41 qbwaggle

qbwaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

HOWEVER, I still can not play video in the channel through my Roku. I can play it within the media server on the computer, but what is the point, when I can just go to HBOGO.COM? Any suggestions would be appreciated

I'm in the same boat. I can get the channel to work on the Plex Android client, which doesn't help me because I can just use the HBO Go app for Android. I haven't had any luck getting it to work with Roku. The video never loads, it just times out and throws an error message.

FYI I have Comcast.

I've tried using PlayOn + Roku but I'm not pleased with (1) video quality, (2) audio sync is poor, and (3) the login mechanism that PlayOn uses is not reliable. 9 times out of 10 I have to remote desktop into my server PC and log into HBO GO in the web browser and then try again.

I really like the potential this Plex channel is showing, but using it with Roku is basically the only reason for me to use it.

#42 brandonm

brandonm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I had the earlier channel added, early January, and the channel showed up just fine in my Plex channel list, but it would not work with my DirecTV. Today I downloaded and updated the most recent one, but it still did not work in my Plex through my Roku. I noticed that in the settings under the HBOGO channel, none of the new providers were listed that were added with the new plugin. I uninstalled the channel from my Plex server, which caused an error during removal, but did remove the channel from my channels list. I then deleted the HBO.bundle file in my Plex plugins directory. I then re-unzipped the HBO.bundle back to the .\plugins directory, renamed it to remove "master", and re-loaded Plex server. The channel is still no longer listed. Any thoughts?

***UPDATE***
I discovered that the plex channel plugins are not located in the plex server plugin directory, they are located in the local settings area of my user profile, so once I located the HBO plugin into that area, it showed up on the server's channel list. HOWEVER, I still can not play video in the channel through my Roku. I can play it within the media server on the computer, but what is the point, when I can just go to HBOGO.COM? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Read posts I made earlier in the thread you are having the same issues as other users.

I'm in the same boat. I can get the channel to work on the Plex Android client, which doesn't help me because I can just use the HBO Go app for Android. I haven't had any luck getting it to work with Roku. The video never loads, it just times out and throws an error message.

FYI I have Comcast.

I've tried using PlayOn + Roku but I'm not pleased with (1) video quality, (2) audio sync is poor, and (3) the login mechanism that PlayOn uses is not reliable. 9 times out of 10 I have to remote desktop into my server PC and log into HBO GO in the web browser and then try again.

I really like the potential this Plex channel is showing, but using it with Roku is basically the only reason for me to use it.

If its working on your Android then it should work just fine on Roku. I have Roku and it works just fine. The hard part is the login and it seems your getting past that. If you load the video on your Android the same cookies will be used for subsequent plays and should make loading faster and more reliable. You can watch the Webkit to debug what is going on (see previous posts for help with that)

#43 jdboeck

jdboeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

I can not get the app to work on my android tablets, phone, nor the Roku player. I have read all the previous threads countless times. I have done everything listed to no avail. The only thing that happens in the WEBKIT window is that the HBOGO login screen appears, and does nothing. If I enter my username and password in the WEBKIT window, it closes, then the screen will go black. The Roku will time out with an error that the video is not available. If I restart the channel on the Roku, the webkit window will go to black, flash white, (the white flash co-insides with a flash on the Roku screen), back to black, time out, go back to white when the Roku times out.

Thanks

#44 brandonm

brandonm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I can not get the app to work on my android tablets, phone, nor the Roku player. I have read all the previous threads countless times. I have done everything listed to no avail. The only thing that happens in the WEBKIT window is that the HBOGO login screen appears, and does nothing. If I enter my username and password in the WEBKIT window, it closes, then the screen will go black. The Roku will time out with an error that the video is not available. If I restart the channel on the Roku, the webkit window will go to black, flash white, (the white flash co-insides with a flash on the Roku screen), back to black, time out, go back to white when the Roku times out.

Thanks

What OS and server version? Make sure flash is working on your server (http://forums.plexap...rlight-plugins/) Try another flash based channel to make sure flash is working correctly on the server (Hulu or MTV Music Videos are two that are similar setup)

#45 mattesser

mattesser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

What OS and server version? Make sure flash is working on your server (http://forums.plexap...rlight-plugins/) Try another flash based channel to make sure flash is working correctly on the server (Hulu or MTV Music Videos are two that are similar setup)

I can verify that what Brandonm is saying is true. I have HBOGO channel plugin working on my Roku with DirecTV and have downloaded the latest version of the plugin. However, this morning I tried moving my Plex Media Server from a Windows machine over to my Linux box, however the inability to transcode flash caused some of the channels (including HBOGO) to give errors that it is unable to play media. So, in an attempt to fully double-check. (I like to see how things work), I uninstalled both versions of flash off my computer (Active-X and one for other browsers), and finally removed Silverlight. This caused my previously working Windows machine to no longer be able to serve up flash based channels to Roku. Once reinstalled, everything works again...so yes, it is definitely dependent on Flash.

#46 brandonm

brandonm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I can verify that what Brandonm is saying is true. I have HBOGO channel plugin working on my Roku with DirecTV and have downloaded the latest version of the plugin. However, this morning I tried moving my Plex Media Server from a Windows machine over to my Linux box, however the inability to transcode flash caused some of the channels (including HBOGO) to give errors that it is unable to play media. So, in an attempt to fully double-check. (I like to see how things work), I uninstalled both versions of flash off my computer (Active-X and one for other browsers), and finally removed Silverlight. This caused my previously working Windows machine to no longer be able to serve up flash based channels to Roku. Once reinstalled, everything works again...so yes, it is definitely dependent on Flash.

Yup, Flash based channels will only work on Windows and Mac.. Linux will unfortunately not work.

#47 technomensch

technomensch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

brandonm,

As a Comcast customer with a MacBook Air, Roku, and Plex, I must thank you for your work on this plug-in.

Since HBO also owns Cinemax, and they use a similar interface, I thought I would try hacking together your HBOGO plug-in to see if it would work for MAXGO too.

Unfortunately, I didn't know exactly which files or strings to change, so I did the only logical thing- a global find/replace of HBO >> MAX.

AND...I came pretty darn close with almost everything.

Unlike the HBOGO plug-in, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the quality and buffering, but that might just be because I left the PLAYBACK SETTINGS to Automatic. I'll have to play around with them to see if I can get a different response.

Anyway, the important thing is- I can confirm that even with the poor quality, I was able to get the 'Adjustment Bureau' and 'Almost Famous' to at least play from "maxgo.com", as well as one or two series from MAX AFTER DARK.

Here is where I was getting the errors:

• MAXPACKS > The directory appears to be empty
  • SERIES > SERIES NAME >> The directory appears to be empty.

Here are the scripts that I ran to make the changes. Please note that I did not update any of the graphics yet, and I don't have a github, so you are welcome to make the necessary modifications and post them to your account as a new plug-in.

/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/ > mkdir Cinemax.bundle

/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/ > cp -Rfv HBO.bundle/* Cinemax.bundle

/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/ > cd Cinemax.bundle

/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Cinemax.bundle > perl -pi -w -e 's /hbo/max/g;' Contents/Site Configurations/*.xml
/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Cinemax.bundle > perl -pi -w -e 's /HBO/MAX/g;' Contents/Site Configurations/*.xml

/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Cinemax.bundle > perl -pi -w -e 's /hbo/max/g;' ./Contents/Code/*.py
/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Cinemax.bundle > perl -pi -w -e 's /HBO/MAX/g;' ./Contents/Code/*.py

/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Cinemax.bundle > perl -pi -w -e 's /hbo/max/g;' ./Contents/*.plist
/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Cinemax.bundle > perl -pi -w -e 's /HBO/MAX/g;' ./Contents/*.plist

/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Cinemax.bundle > perl -pi -w -e 's /hbo/max/g;' ./Contents/Services/*.plist

/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Cinemax.bundle > perl -pi -w -e 's /HBO/MAX/g;' ./Contents/Services/*.plist

/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Cinemax.bundle > mv Contents/Services/URL/HBO/ Contents/Services/URL/MAX

Please let me know what you think, and if anyone out there has recommendations on improving the quality, I'm open to suggestions.

#48 jdboeck

jdboeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I was running Win XP pro build 2002 with SP2, Plex server 0.9.9.4, Flash 11.5.502.146, and Silverlight 5 (5.1.10411.0). After reading on the "troubleshoot flash and silverlight plugins" page, I noticed it said Plex server will not work with XP, so I put my VISTA Home Premium SP1 drive in the same computer as I was running XP, and spent 2 hours setting up Plex server, silverlight, flash, and loading all the channels (including the HBOGO). Now, the HBOGO channel will come up with the movies menu when played within the server, but will error with "THE MEDIA SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING" message after you click "movies A-Z".

Did I miss something during my install on the VISTA drive?

#49 brandonm

brandonm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I was running Win XP pro build 2002 with SP2, Plex server 0.9.9.4, Flash 11.5.502.146, and Silverlight 5 (5.1.10411.0). After reading on the "troubleshoot flash and silverlight plugins" page, I noticed it said Plex server will not work with XP, so I put my VISTA Home Premium SP1 drive in the same computer as I was running XP, and spent 2 hours setting up Plex server, silverlight, flash, and loading all the channels (including the HBOGO). Now, the HBOGO channel will come up with the movies menu when played within the server, but will error with "THE MEDIA SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING" message after you click "movies A-Z".

Did I miss something during my install on the VISTA drive?

I noticed a bug today and I will push a fix soon to stop this from happening for others when first setting up like you. Make sure you set the preferences for your provider. Changing it from default will work around the bug. Then browse from the main menu and it should work

#50 jdboeck

jdboeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I noticed a bug today and I will push a fix soon to stop this from happening for others when first setting up like you. Make sure you set the preferences for your provider. Changing it from default will work around the bug. Then browse from the main menu and it should work

I'm not sure what you mean by setting the preferences for my provider. I can not locate any tab within the hbogo channel to do this.

***EDIT***

Changed the settings in my Roku, now it works in the media server

After about 3 tries, and manually logging into HBOGO in the WEBKIT window, the movie will now play in the WEBKIT window, very choppy, however the Roku just shows LOADING with the progress bar only about halfway finished

#51 brandonm

brandonm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by setting the preferences for my provider. I can not locate any tab within the hbogo channel to do this.

You need to set the preferences (provider, username, and password) in one of the Plex clients. When you open the HBO channel you should see the preferences menu or icon on the screen. The web client does not show preferences link.

#52 brandonm

brandonm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

brandonm,

As a Comcast customer with a MacBook Air, Roku, and Plex, I must thank you for your work on this plug-in.

Since HBO also owns Cinemax, and they use a similar interface, I thought I would try hacking together your HBOGO plug-in to see if it would work for MAXGO too.

Unfortunately, I didn't know exactly which files or strings to change, so I did the only logical thing- a global find/replace of HBO >> MAX.

Please let me know what you think, and if anyone out there has recommendations on improving the quality, I'm open to suggestions.

Yes I have been meaning to clone my HBO for Cinemax (maxgo.com). You were on the right page so here we go with your kick in the butt I went ahead and cloned and fixed a few bugs. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

https://github.com/b.../Cinemax.bundle

#53 qbwaggle

qbwaggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

[size="2"]
If its working on your Android then it should work just fine on Roku. I have Roku and it works just fine. The hard part is the login and it seems your getting past that. If you load the video on your Android the same cookies will be used for subsequent plays and should make loading faster and more reliable. You can watch the Webkit to debug what is going on (see previous posts for help with that)

OK thanks I'll try again. One point I'd like to clarify: If I set up my provider preferences in the Android app and everything is working, does that mean when I attempt to run from my Roku that I don't need to re-enter the provider info?

#54 mattesser

mattesser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Correct! If you set your preferences using one device it saves it to a file that is read by all other client devices...including your Roku.

#55 jdboeck

jdboeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I noticed something interesting yesterday. When I try to run the channel with my Roku, it will finally "load" but no audio or video, just a black screen. What I found interesting is that if I load a youtube video on my server, while the hbogo channel is running and loaded to a black screen on the Roku, the audio from the youtube bleeds through to the Roku! Still have no idea why the Roku will not display audio/video of the transcoding hbogo stream, so if "we" can help me figure this out, I would be pretty happy!

#56 brandonm

brandonm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

I noticed something interesting yesterday. When I try to run the channel with my Roku, it will finally "load" but no audio or video, just a black screen. What I found interesting is that if I load a youtube video on my server, while the hbogo channel is running and loaded to a black screen on the Roku, the audio from the youtube bleeds through to the Roku! Still have no idea why the Roku will not display audio/video of the transcoding hbogo stream, so if "we" can help me figure this out, I would be pretty happy!

Audio from other applications when having the WebKit window enabled is normal. The Plex Server just mutes your speakers so you don't hear it out of them. Now the black screen is interesting I have not encountered that problem. You can see the flash video playing in the WebKit window but the Roku picture when it finally loads is black? I guess you are using Windows. Can you try the Hulu or MTV Music Videos channel to see if those work. Those both use flash based like HBO/Cinemax. I would try the Flash troubleshooting of reinstall Flash. (http://forums.plexap...rlight-plugins/)

#57 jdboeck

jdboeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Audio from other applications when having the WebKit window enabled is normal. The Plex Server just mutes your speakers so you don't hear it out of them. Now the black screen is interesting I have not encountered that problem. You can see the flash video playing in the WebKit window but the Roku picture when it finally loads is black? I guess you are using Windows. Can you try the Hulu or MTV Music Videos channel to see if those work. Those both use flash based like HBO/Cinemax. I would try the Flash troubleshooting of reinstall Flash. (http://forums.plexap...rlight-plugins/)

I have begun using my mobile device with the plex app because I am getting sick of running from one end of the house to the other to check to see if the Roku is reading the Plex HBOGO channel. Since both items do the same thing, figured it would be the easier way to go... sure, I need my exercise, but my knees can barely take it anymore!

OK, I tried the MTV, which doesn't work (except in the webkit), just like the HBOGO. Using the MTV channel, my android app keeps trying to load constantly (even while the video is playing in webkit) until it times out with the error "We're sorry but there was a problem attempting to play "<video name>": There was a problem with media playback. When using the HBOGO channel, the webkit will show the DirecTV login screen, and do absolutely nothing, repeatedly, for hours on end, until I manually log in within the webkit. When I log in, and close the HBOGO channel from my android, and allow the webkit window to time out and close, I can then go into the HBOGO channel on the android once again, and it will load the HBOGO video I wanted to watch in the webkit, but the android screen goes completely black. Same thing happens with the Roku.

Now, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the Plex server a few times, along with silverlight, and adobe flash... ALL CURRENT VERSIONS. Nothing makes any difference. Either I have some unknown setting screwed up in my Plex server, my luck has run out, or this simply will not work for me for some unknown reason. I don't know if knowing HOW this channel transcodes the stream from HBOGO would offer me any insight to what's going on. All I can say is that everything seems to be OK in the webkit window, but then the transcoding/transmitting to another device gets lost in india somewhere.

Sorry for the frustration. This seemed like the promised land since DTV won't allow Roku to stream HBOGO, but the road is trashed with IEDs trying to get to the destination... any help, advice (aside from the flash thing, that isn't the answer) or perhaps a step-by-step rundown of the settings required in Plex server? Does the type of browser on the computer running the server have any bearing on performance?

Thanks!

#58 technomensch

technomensch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Yes I have been meaning to clone my HBO for Cinemax (maxgo.com). You were on the right page so here we go with your kick in the butt I went ahead and cloned and fixed a few bugs. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

https://github.com/b.../Cinemax.bundle

Didn't mean to give you a kick in the butt. I was just bored after finding your bundle and wanted to see if I could do it; or if really was just that easy.

For the moment, you should remove the confirmation of the bundle working on Comcast. I only subscribe to HBO. When I tried hacking the clone together, I just happened to have a friend over, so we were testing it with his DIRECTV account, and that's what worked. I wasn't able to test it using a Comcast account.

Anyway, I don't know what you did differently, but your fix let the series show up instead of appear as an Empty directory. In fact I was even able to get Banshee Episode 1 to start playing. The MAXPack however, is still showing up as empty. BUT, since I have no idea what it is, I can't say whether I'm missing it or not; or if I even care.

Other than that, (burying the lead) the app works just as beautifully as your HBO plug-in.

Have you considered submitting both to the PLEX plug-in center? Or do you think if more people grab it, they might eventually block access? Or do you think more people trying it and experiencing issues will just lead to more headaches for you? If you did submit it, I'd recommend making it so the end-user is prompted to enter their credentials through the interface (such as Roku). Otherwise, you'd probably get slammed with people wondering why they can't log-in. An item such as a drop-down to select the provider would probably help to prevent spelling or capitalization issues. Those are my thoughts.

#59 RokuLlama

RokuLlama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

Brand new to Plex so hello :) I think I did it correctly by unzipping the file into the plugins folder. I can verify that I can now see the folder in the plugins folder, but that is as far as I can get, even after disabling compatibility option. I look for the channel in both Plex Center and the Plex web interface and I cannot seem to find it. What could I be doing wrong? I use Comcast login by the way.

#60 brandonm

brandonm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Didn't mean to give you a kick in the butt. I was just bored after finding your bundle and wanted to see if I could do it; or if really was just that easy.

For the moment, you should remove the confirmation of the bundle working on Comcast. I only subscribe to HBO. When I tried hacking the clone together, I just happened to have a friend over, so we were testing it with his DIRECTV account, and that's what worked. I wasn't able to test it using a Comcast account.

Anyway, I don't know what you did differently, but your fix let the series show up instead of appear as an Empty directory. In fact I was even able to get Banshee Episode 1 to start playing. The MAXPack however, is still showing up as empty. BUT, since I have no idea what it is, I can't say whether I'm missing it or not; or if I even care.

Other than that, (burying the lead) the app works just as beautifully as your HBO plug-in.

Have you considered submitting both to the PLEX plug-in center? Or do you think if more people grab it, they might eventually block access? Or do you think more people trying it and experiencing issues will just lead to more headaches for you? If you did submit it, I'd recommend making it so the end-user is prompted to enter their credentials through the interface (such as Roku). Otherwise, you'd probably get slammed with people wondering why they can't log-in. An item such as a drop-down to select the provider would probably help to prevent spelling or capitalization issues. Those are my thoughts.

Yes I want to finish a few places where i am not picking up the content correctly. I have a few parts I still need to code up, The MaxPacks on Cinemax and Collections in the HBO channels still need to be added. After that I will submit them.

Brand new to Plex so hello :) I think I did it correctly by unzipping the file into the plugins folder. I can verify that I can now see the folder in the plugins folder, but that is as far as I can get, even after disabling compatibility option. I look for the channel in both Plex Center and the Plex web interface and I cannot seem to find it. What could I be doing wrong? I use Comcast login by the way.

Make sure you remove the master in the name so its just named for example HBO.bundle. Then restart the Plex Media Server.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users