7 replies to this topic

#1 jayssheth

jayssheth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hey Guys,
Im a noob to PLEX. I just got a new san - Synology DS213, i was able to set it up fine, got PLEX installed and uploaded some movies to test. Movies shows up just fine on my plex web link with all the info it grabbed from the internet - ie movie name, description, etc. But when i try to play it, i get this error message:

"There was an error attempting to play this video."

I am trying to play a MKV and an AVI file. Please help, i really need to get this working, since my main reason to get a NAS was to have a good media server.

Thx,
JS

#2 Chip "Mini" Moon

Chip "Mini" Moon

Dedicated Member

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hey Guys,
Im a noob to PLEX. I just got a new san - Synology DS213, i was able to set it up fine, got PLEX installed and uploaded some movies to test. Movies shows up just fine on my plex web link with all the info it grabbed from the internet - ie movie name, description, etc. But when i try to play it, i get this error message:

"There was an error attempting to play this video."

I am trying to play a MKV and an AVI file. Please help, i really need to get this working, since my main reason to get a NAS was to have a good media server.

Thx,
JS

What are you trying to play the file on??

See here, theres some serious restrictions with NAS running PMS http://wiki.plexapp...._Server_and_NAS
-miniMoon

Media Server
OS - OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4
Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD
ASUS - P8Z68-V LX
Intel i7 2600 3.4 Ghz - Sandy Bridge Overclocked to 4.3 Ghz
GT-430 2GB DDR3
3x - 2TB WD Caviar Black SATA HDD (ZFS Filesystem)
16GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3

Clients
5 - Roku 2 XS
3 - Blackberry Playbook
1 - PS3 / Xbox360
1 - iPad Mini
2 - iPad
4 - iPhone 4S
1 - MK802 II
1 - Vizio Co-Star

#3 jayssheth

jayssheth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

What are you trying to play the file on??

See here, theres some serious restrictions with NAS running PMS http://wiki.plexapp...._Server_and_NAS

I am trying to play it on both, WIn and a MAC through google chrome.

Thanks,
JS

#4 jayssheth

jayssheth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I am trying to play it on both, WIn and a MAC through google chrome.

Thanks,
JS

I just read the link you gave above for NAS running PMS, and noticed that the NAS i have (DS213) does not support transcoding. That is an issue. So what is the best way to set this up? Any kind of help would be appreciated.
Is there a MAC/Win Plex client that i can install and view videos from there? How would i watch videos from the internet without using the browser?

Thanks,
JS

#5 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2431 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

You can use the Plex Media Center application to watch most videos without transcoding (it's being rebranded as Plex Home Theater). Download it here. Most other clients like Plex/Web and the iOS app do not need a video to be transcoded if its in a mp4 container with h264 video.

#6 Chip "Mini" Moon

Chip "Mini" Moon

Dedicated Member

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I just read the link you gave above for NAS running PMS, and noticed that the NAS i have (DS213) does not support transcoding. That is an issue. So what is the best way to set this up? Any kind of help would be appreciated.
Is there a MAC/Win Plex client that i can install and view videos from there? How would i watch videos from the internet without using the browser?

Thanks,
JS

You could use your NAS for what its really for network attached storage, and install Plex Media Server on a computer and point it towards the NAS for file locations and use Plex/Web or Plex Media Center to view everything they can both be downloaded @ http://www.plexapp.com/getplex
-miniMoon

Media Server
OS - OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4
Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD
ASUS - P8Z68-V LX
Intel i7 2600 3.4 Ghz - Sandy Bridge Overclocked to 4.3 Ghz
GT-430 2GB DDR3
3x - 2TB WD Caviar Black SATA HDD (ZFS Filesystem)
16GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3

Clients
5 - Roku 2 XS
3 - Blackberry Playbook
1 - PS3 / Xbox360
1 - iPad Mini
2 - iPad
4 - iPhone 4S
1 - MK802 II
1 - Vizio Co-Star

#7 jayssheth

jayssheth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

You could use your NAS for what its really for network attached storage, and install Plex Media Server on a computer and point it towards the NAS for file locations and use Plex/Web or Plex Media Center to view everything they can both be downloaded @ http://www.plexapp.com/getplex

Thank you guys! Will try it.

#8 daveg56

daveg56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

That was really helpful as I've been struggling for a few hours trying to get Plex working with a Synology/Roku combination, thinking that I'd configured something incorrectly. Clearly it's not a good combination!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users