12 replies to this topic

#1 andymac1966

andymac1966

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hi Folks,

I have a number of Blu Rips stored on my NAS which I play using Plex. I just got a Roku 2XS and hooked it up to my TV and surround amp using HDMI. The BD rips are all mkv files and have surround soundtracks.

When I play the movies, I'm finding that the ones with AC3 5.1 (shown in the Plex play options for the file) only play in 2.1, however the files that say DTS 5.1 play in full surround (although my amp reports that the sound track is Dolby Digital).

I've not tried the same files yet on a jail broken ATV2, but will later today hopefully.

Reason for the post is to see if this is a known problem, and do I need to rip my Blu Ray mkv's in a specific way to ensure that they are compatible with the Roku (and ATV2). For info I use DVDFab to rips the movies.

Thanks,
Andy
andymac1966
@andymac1966

#2 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

5.1 AC3 is the format Roku prefers. I'd be curious to see the logs (Roku and Plex Media Server.log) as they might shed some light on what format it's using and why.

That said, many users are experiencing problems with transcoded content that includes 5.1 audio. If you're ripping these for the Roku (and ATV2) specifically, you'll get much better results using MP4 instead of MKV.

#3 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

That said, many users are experiencing problems with transcoded content that includes 5.1 audio. If you're ripping these for the Roku (and ATV2) specifically, you'll get much better results using MP4 instead of MKV.

I'd actually argue that you'd get better results with mp4 with almost any media player out there. mp4 has much broader device support then mkv. Unless you are using some of the features of mkv that mp4 doesn't support, it is far better to rip to mp4 then mkv.

#4 andymac1966

andymac1966

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I've now tried the same files on my Apple TV2, which I just jailbroke today to allow me to use Plex on it. I tried the same movie files using the ATV2 and all are playing in 5.1 surround mode - however they are all coming up as Dolby Digital, even if the file info is saying DTS. These digital files have all been ripped from Blu Rays using DVDFab set to mkv.h264.ac3 presets.

So looks like something that's not working right with the Roku.

Schuyler,
I'm not sure how to get logs from Plex or the Roku, can you advise ?

Scyber,
Would I be better ripping my Blu Rays to MP4 rather than mkv ? I had thought that mkv was the better choice for HD Blu Rays...

Andy
andymac1966
@andymac1966

#5 hackztor@gmail.com

hackztor@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

I use mkv and have similiar issues with the bd rips with hd audio. Mkv was the preferred format till mp4 got more popular. In DVDfab 9 latest version, they have option for Mp4 with chapters so looks like they improved it in the latest dvdfab. Give one a try and see if it helps your issue.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I've now tried the same files on my Apple TV2, which I just jailbroke today to allow me to use Plex on it. I tried the same movie files using the ATV2 and all are playing in 5.1 surround mode - however they are all coming up as Dolby Digital, even if the file info is saying DTS. These digital files have all been ripped from Blu Rays using DVDFab set to mkv.h264.ac3 presets.

So looks like something that's not working right with the Roku.

Schuyler,
I'm not sure how to get logs from Plex or the Roku, can you advise ?

Scyber,
Would I be better ripping my Blu Rays to MP4 rather than mkv ? I had thought that mkv was the better choice for HD Blu Rays...

Andy

#6 andymac1966

andymac1966

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I use mkv and have similiar issues with the bd rips with hd audio. Mkv was the preferred format till mp4 got more popular. In DVDfab 9 latest version, they have option for Mp4 with chapters so looks like they improved it in the latest dvdfab. Give one a try and see if it helps your issue.

Hi,

Thanks for the info - unfortunately I'm running v8.2.2.6 of DVDFab, as it's the Mac version that I'm using. Not sure when we'll get v9. I have tried the mp4 option in DVDFab, but found that videos were a bit choppy - sounds like something they have fixed now.

Andy
andymac1966
@andymac1966

#7 hackztor@gmail.com

hackztor@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

I tried a few and noticed the chopiness with 9.0.2.0, havent tried with the latest 9.0.2.2 yet. Duno if it matters what profile I always just do the remux I never like having anything converted (waiting for h265 then will prob convert everything).

Hi,

Thanks for the info - unfortunately I'm running v8.2.2.6 of DVDFab, as it's the Mac version that I'm using. Not sure when we'll get v9. I have tried the mp4 option in DVDFab, but found that videos were a bit choppy - sounds like something they have fixed now.

Andy

#8 fiaskogaul

fiaskogaul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I fidure out the same issue. Shown DTS 5.1 Audio comes in 5.1 DD to my Media Reciever. Atachet to this post is my log.

I also got the issue thet after a few minutes the audio stops but video keeps playing like described here: Link

Attached Files

#9 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

The Roku doesn't support DTS via streaming. Plex will convert DTS to AC3 (aka DD) if you enable 5.1.

And as you already noticed, there is currently a bug with the 5.1 audio on the Roku. It is being worked on but there is not eta.

#10 fiaskogaul

fiaskogaul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

The Roku doesn't support DTS via streaming. Plex will convert DTS to AC3 (aka DD) if you enable 5.1.

And as you already noticed, there is currently a bug with the 5.1 audio on the Roku. It is being worked on but there is not eta.

Thanks for the reply.

#11 mtnardi

mtnardi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Is this a bug with Plex or Roku or both? I'm having the same issue and I thought I was doing something wrong, it's been driving me nuts! Is there a thread where this is being actively discussed?

#12 prizrak

prizrak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:00 AM

Same thing happening on Roku 3 though it seems to be an issue with Roku rather than Plex, enabling 5.1 on Roku makes either AC3 or DTS not work. It appears that anything 5.1 just doesn't quite make it through for some reason. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me since Roku is a bit idiotic in not including an optical out port meaning that I have to go Roku>TV>Receiver and for some reason TV decides that a 5.1 signal is not good enough to pass through it and only outputs a 2.1 to the receiver. Though interestingly over the air programming WILL output in 5.1 from the TV itself so clearly it has that ability. 

#13 prem1er

prem1er

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Same thing happening on Roku 3 though it seems to be an issue with Roku rather than Plex, enabling 5.1 on Roku makes either AC3 or DTS not work. It appears that anything 5.1 just doesn't quite make it through for some reason. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me since Roku is a bit idiotic in not including an optical out port meaning that I have to go Roku>TV>Receiver and for some reason TV decides that a 5.1 signal is not good enough to pass through it and only outputs a 2.1 to the receiver. Though interestingly over the air programming WILL output in 5.1 from the TV itself so clearly it has that ability. 

I've seen a post similar to this a couple weeks ago. I can't remember exactly what was going wrong, but it had to do with the TV not passing through the 5.1 from the Roku (although like you said it was working with a regular cable box). I'll see if I can find the thread and hopefully someone can offer some input.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 12.04, AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5Ghz, 8GB ram

Storage: 3TB WD

Mobile Client: 1 x Samsung Galaxy S4, 1 x HTC One, 1 x ASUS TF101

Other Client: Roku 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users