5 replies to this topic

#1 bmancreations

bmancreations

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

So I was looking around on how to backup Plex and what I found didn't work.

How do I backup my plex media server?

Ubuntu 12.04 if it matters.

#2 doristori

doristori

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

I am just running it in vmware workstation as a virtual server (Ubuntu 12.04) and I just taka a new snapshot once a week

#3 bmancreations

bmancreations

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

How does that help me lol

#4 guy2545

guy2545

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

So I was looking around on how to backup Plex and what I found didn't work.

How do I backup my plex media server?

Ubuntu 12.04 if it matters.

There are a bunch of different guides on out there on how to backup different things on Ubuntu. I just include the Plex Media Server directory into my backup program along with everything else. You can look at /etc/default/plexmediaserver to figure out what directory holds plex (I have mine set to /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library). If you include all the cached items, this can get to be rather large (1+GB).

To restore Plex Media Server, I install the program from the repos, edit /etc/default/plexmediaserver to indicate where I stored the library and then copy everything from the backup into that directory. Final step is to make sure you restore plex as the owner of that directory (i.e. sudo chown -R plex:plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver).

Plex Media Clients:
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Samsung Tab2
Nexus 7

Nexus 5
Plex Media Server:
Toshiba i3 Windows 8.1 Laptop

Windows Server 2012 R2 with 3TB

#5 phroenips

phroenips

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

There are a bunch of different guides on out there on how to backup different things on Ubuntu. I just include the Plex Media Server directory into my backup program along with everything else. You can look at /etc/default/plexmediaserver to figure out what directory holds plex (I have mine set to /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library). If you include all the cached items, this can get to be rather large (1+GB).

To restore Plex Media Server, I install the program from the repos, edit /etc/default/plexmediaserver to indicate where I stored the library and then copy everything (except the Plug-ins directory) from the backup into that directory. Final step is to make sure you restore plex as the owner of that directory (i.e. sudo chown -R plex:plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver).

fixed

#6 bmancreations

bmancreations

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users