21 replies to this topic

#1 JYA

JYA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

Hi.

Currently running a mythtv backend and frontend and currently looking at getting a mac mini to add a myth frontend in my living room.

I looked at solutions already available on MacOS X Leopard and found plex.. This looks extremely promising.

One thing I would be missing is the ability to stream FreeToAir television from my mythbackend, providing a complete PVR solution..

The UI and skins in plex is much nicer plus runs natively on OS X.

Is there any plans to add the ability to stream TV channels and TV recordings from a mythbackend ?

Thanks
JY

#2 Jonathan Marshall

Jonathan Marshall

• Plex Fanboy
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

It should already work out of the box. See this thread over at the xbmc.org forums:

http://xbmc.org/foru...read.php?t=2297

To summarize, add a source with URL of the forum:

myth://<mythuser>:<mythpass>@<mythipaddress>

Cheers
Jonathan

#3 JYA

JYA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:55 AM

It should already work out of the box. See this thread over at the xbmc.org forums:

http://xbmc.org/foru...read.php?t=2297
To summarize, add a source with URL of the forum:
myth://<mythuser>:<mythpass>@<mythipaddress>

Excellent ... Will try today when I get my new Apple mini...

I don't have any username/password configured for myth though ...

#4 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:12 AM

It's possible that Plex is missing some patches for MythTV, I have to admit to never having used the feature myself. I know people have had at least some success in the past.

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#5 Isaac Ordonez

Isaac Ordonez

Mayor of Plexville

• Mayor Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:02 AM

Excellent ... Will try today when I get my new Apple mini...

I don't have any username/password configured for myth though ...

Then just exclude the user:pass@ part
Need Help? Watch our Help videos directly inside Plex! Go to "Get Help" on the main menu.

Make sure to read up on how to create good Bug Reports and Feature Requests.
Read the Documentation and help edit the Wiki!

Wrote a great plugin? Submit it to the App store!

#6 stormshaker

stormshaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:59 AM

I actually switched from an XBOX/XBMC solution to a MacMini/Plex+MythFrontend mainly to get the native MythFrontend app. Myth on XBMC is still in development and whereas it does work on the Xbox, it's certainly lacking many of the great features you get in the native front end app.

Until native myth in Plex is more mature it'd be nice to be able to navigate to/from the MythFrontend app without having to quit Plex. Via Programs with something in the skin could work, when that's ready.

#7 ipguy

ipguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

so do we have a solution to watch. record and schedule cable/live tv with a plex frontend to mythtv ?
what about an EPG with a Plex frontend ?

#8 stormshaker

stormshaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:47 PM

So the best way is to install the MythFrontend for OS X, and then add a shortcut in the Applications section. Plex will start the MythFrontend from that.

#9 Jamie Kirkpatrick

Jamie Kirkpatrick

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:38 AM

Hi there

OK, well I just got through setting up a MythTV backend on my network and tried to get it working with Plex using XBMC's native "myth://..." support. Bad news: its broken. I can connect to mythtv and download the channel guide but no more: I get output similar to this when I try to browse live TV channels - http://forum.xbmc.or...ad.php?t=47240.

I went to the XBMC IRC channel and asked around to see what the status was: they confirmed everything works just fine in the latest release / trunk. I downloaded XBMC, ran it up and configured it and sure enough it worked first time.

There are other solutions out there for XBMC and MythTV as well but those don't seem to be compatible with Plex. So the question is, can we get the latest code to support this functionality merged from the upstream XBMC code?

It really would be a fantastic addition to plex since it would plug pretty much the only hole a lot of us have: namely not being able to watch live TV from within Plex itself. It's actually a really great setup if it can be made to work since the PVR functionality can be completely outsourced to MythTV and Plex can just provide a nice shinny UI.

Any thoughts from the Plex devs? I know you have a lot on your plates so I'm not expecting miracles.

Thanks

PS: If I get no response, I may we have a look at writing a plugin that works with the latest MythTV code myself.

#10 stormshaker

stormshaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

I think that myth:// support while working in XBMC isn't the final direction they're heading. I've been watching and waiting with interest to see their 'Unified PVR frontend' that's planned. In my mind it's worth Plex waiting until this work is completed and then porting over something like that, allowing it to support not only MythTV but many other PVRs.

I recently took another approach with bringing Myth content into Plex. MythTV comes with a user-contributed script called 'mythlink.sh' to create a directory of links to mythtv recordings but the links can have a folder structure and naming that Plex likes. Then I share the folder out over the network and add it to Plex. This is possible because Plex supports the 'YYYY-MM-DD' way of naming TV episodes, so they're brought into the Plex library pretty well. I've even tried running TheTVDB metadata agent over it and while far from perfect gave better results than I expected.

The only important limitation I've found to this is no commskipping. While this could have been achieved using EDL or similar files generated from MythTV, I don't think Plex actually recognises the files, well at least I haven't been able to get it to do so.

J

#11 Jamie Kirkpatrick

Jamie Kirkpatrick

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

@stormshaker

Thanks for the thoughts there....sounds like you've been on this a lot longer than me.

OK, whilst I can see that accessing the recordings that way would probably work absolutely fine, the one part thats desperately missing is live TV support! This is the bit of the mediacenter that completely falls down at the moment....I have a hell of a job selling this to my housemates when they cant just watch TV!

As I said, if myth:// support isn't going to be forthcoming, I'll look at writing a new plugin myself: its a shame that the myth tv "protocol" is so messy coz it will make writing such a thing pretty horrid but I'm sure it can be done...there are some python bindings out there which I'll try to get up and running.

Unless anyone else has any better ideas!

#12 sunny78

sunny78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

@stormshaker

Thanks for the thoughts there....sounds like you've been on this a lot longer than me.

OK, whilst I can see that accessing the recordings that way would probably work absolutely fine, the one part thats desperately missing is live TV support! This is the bit of the mediacenter that completely falls down at the moment....I have a hell of a job selling this to my housemates when they cant just watch TV!

As I said, if myth:// support isn't going to be forthcoming, I'll look at writing a new plugin myself: its a shame that the myth tv "protocol" is so messy coz it will make writing such a thing pretty horrid but I'm sure it can be done...there are some python bindings out there which I'll try to get up and running.

Unless anyone else has any better ideas!

Did you push your investigations any further on this ?
Currently i would really like a plugin so that live tv could be looked using mythbackend (most important feature from my point of view is pause support).

Watching records would be nice to (i am programming them through mythtv web interface so program support and other is not really the first thing i would like to have).

I tried to look at what exists and there is some code in mythbox that i think could be reused to handle the protocol with mythbackend.

If anyone here could explain how to add a new protocol to plex so that we could have some support to be able to watch a stream and command it from mythbackend i would be glad to help to work on this feature.

#13 Alxscott

Alxscott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

I second the call for live video and the ability to pause! If Jamie would be willing to look into writing a plugin that would be awesome!

Not sure how relevant this would be but I know the latest Plex 9.5 Update brought a lot of the newer XBMC code over... Would this make it any easier to port MythBox?!

#14 reebzor

reebzor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

I really wish someone would try to work on this. It's one of those things that would really make Plex all that. I'm currently debating leaving Plex because I need something with functional plugins and Live TV...

#15 sunny78

sunny78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

I second the call for live video and the ability to pause! If Jamie would be willing to look into writing a plugin that would be awesome!

Not sure how relevant this would be but I know the latest Plex 9.5 Update brought a lot of the newer XBMC code over... Would this make it any easier to port MythBox?!

In fact myth box is not needed for that. We simply need to have support for the mythtv source type. This one is embedded into xbmc and myth box is only using it. In xbmc you can view mythtv channels live without installing myth box at all but just adding a mythtv source type.

I really wish someone would try to work on this. It's one of those things that would really make Plex all that. I'm currently debating leaving Plex because I need something with functional plugins and Live TV...

Same for me, i am really thinking into switching to xbmc to have this feature. Some features of plex are really nice and live tv support with pause is for now on the only thing missing to have the perfect multimedia system.

#16 Alxscott

Alxscott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

In fact myth box is not needed for that. We simply need to have support for the mythtv source type. This one is embedded into xbmc and myth box is only using it. In xbmc you can view mythtv channels live without installing myth box at all but just adding a mythtv source type.

Same for me, i am really thinking into switching to xbmc to have this feature. Some features of plex are really nice and live tv support with pause is for now on the only thing missing to have the perfect multimedia system.

In that case sunny, I totally agree... All is required is support for MythTV source type. Any ideas who or how to push for this feature?!

#17 sunny78

sunny78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

In that case sunny, I totally agree... All is required is support for MythTV source type. Any ideas who or how to push for this feature?!

No idea, maybe one of the developer should explain us if it has been removed from xbmc features in plex.
If yes, is it possible somehow to add it (inside next plex or perhaps find a way to add it through a plugin) ?

If not, how can this be used inside a plugin ?

#18 sunny78

sunny78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

in fact inside xbmc, mythtv source is provided through libcmyth (libcmyth on github). It should be possible to somehow add this into plex.

#19 Alxscott

Alxscott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Sunny, libcmyth appears to be listed as a dependency on the Plex GitHub site... Im complete Linux noob but I'm
thinking that could mean it is included in Laika?! Might attempt to install a MythTV backend and find out!

#20 sunny78

sunny78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Sunny, libcmyth appears to be listed as a dependency on the Plex GitHub site... Im complete Linux noob but I'm
thinking that could mean it is included in Laika?! Might attempt to install a MythTV backend and find out!

Hi,

If libcmyth is included then we must know how to use it. In XBMC you have to define a special kind of source but there is no equivalent on Plex.

Maybe a Plex developper could give us some infos here ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users