Photo

Asus RT-AC66U router compatable with plex?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 EpicVegas

EpicVegas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I've been having a problem with my current router not being able to publish my plex server & I'm thinking about upgrading to the Asus RT-AC66U router. Any special settings or configurations to publish my server on this router? I have a Motorola surfboard SB6121 modem.

#2 moralesmike

moralesmike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yes and it as a darn good route too! Do you have and AC adapters on your machines? I was deciding between this router and the RT-N66U and in the end I did not see any reason to go with the AC version and spend the extra money for a protocol in its infancy that I would not use for a long time. I did that with Draft N and by the time I went to use N adapters my router was antiquated.

#3 aaronharstine

aaronharstine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

i really suggest the Netgear R6300 AC router ive used and set up many routers for tons of people. i can tell you the asus routers tend to freeze up, cisco/linksys tend to break after a year, dlink gets low signal strength. Nothing i have seen touches the ease of use and performance i've been getting from the r6300, my parents and my brother both own them too and all connection issues they had before just dissappeared. just make sure you download netgears genie software its helpful for many different things

#4 ianken

ianken

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

i really suggest the Netgear R6300 AC router ive used and set up many routers for tons of people. i can tell you the asus routers tend to freeze up, cisco/linksys tend to break after a year, dlink gets low signal strength. Nothing i have seen touches the ease of use and performance i've been getting from the r6300, my parents and my brother both own them too and all connection issues they had before just dissappeared. just make sure you download netgears genie software its helpful for many different things

LOL. I've got two AC66us. One is a bridge. The other a router/AP.

Both are on UPSes. Both were up for six months before I flashed an update yesterday. They are rock solid.

#5 EpicVegas

EpicVegas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

Did you have to do any port forwording or any special config with the AC66U settings? I'm just worried I might run into the same issue with not being able to publish my server.

#6 adrenaline7879

adrenaline7879

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

LOL. I've got two AC66us. One is a bridge. The other a router/AP.

Both are on UPSes. Both were up for six months before I flashed an update yesterday. They are rock solid.

What are your router settings? I am having trouble with this also and same setup.

#7 adrenaline7879

adrenaline7879

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Noone else with this router that can help? ;(

#8 jdb264c

jdb264c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I can't get it to work either, but I'm really a newbie at this...

#9 moralesmike

moralesmike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Noone else with this router that can help? ;(

Like I said, I have the RT-N66U but from what I know about the AC it is the same more or less. So my comments have that caveat.

My router has been rock solid with no dropputs or need for reset. My server published nicely the first time with my plex and did not require me to forward any ports for my PS. I have other services that are being forwarded through the router with no issue at all.

I made the switch from my Dlink DIR-655 which I had to manually publish my PS through and also had dropouts constantly. I dont think it was a bad router, just old and seen a lot of use. Also I had a Belkin that had a lot of issues also. So I must say I am happy with ASUS.

#10 elvatofeo

elvatofeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

I just posted a request for help but I see that Moralesmike is using a RT-N66U which is what I just installed. This is my first try to get Plex and I just can't seem to get it to connect to the server. I have a Mac desk top and a Time Warner modem. I am able to create the media server but when I try to connect MyPlex to get my Roku in the network I keep getting an error message: myplex could not connect to your server.

I have tried opening up the firewalls in the mac and on the router but still no success. I also went into the router WAN port forwarding and set up 32400 but no success. 

Mike do yo have any suggestions?

Thanks

#11 kaiguy

kaiguy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

There seem to be a couple different questions from different posters going on in this thread.

First off, for the OP, the Asus has uPnP activated by default, so you will not need to make any changes to it in order for MyPlex to publish your server.

To the last poster, MyPlex is primarily used for remote viewing.  If you have PMS up and running, any other client on your local network should be able to immediately access it, even without MyPlex.  I use the N66U, which is very similar, and it does not require any manual setup whatsoever.  However, your MyPlex still should be able to see your server if your PMS is set up properly.  As stated before, this router has uPnP enabled by default, so when you go into PMS settings (http://your.server.i...dress:32400/web) and publish the server, it should automatically open up any necessary port on the router.

ESXi 5.5 virtualized server (Win 7 Pro guest serving latest PlexPass PMS, unRAID 5 guest serving media)

Mac Mini 2.26 GHz primary client with Plex/HT - Sony NSZ-GS7 - 2x Vizio Co-Star - Roku2 XS - Chromecast - assorted iOS

#12 elvatofeo

elvatofeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Kaiguy,

Thank you for reply. I am able to sign into my PlexMediaServer but when I tried to go through the route you suggested (http://myserverip etc) to publish the server  I get a message that I am not authorized to access this media server.

#13 elvatofeo

elvatofeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Kaiguy,

Please disregard my last post.

Thanks

#14 gojira35

gojira35

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

There seem to be a couple different questions from different posters going on in this thread.

First off, for the OP, the Asus has uPnP activated by default, so you will not need to make any changes to it in order for MyPlex to publish your server.

To the last poster, MyPlex is primarily used for remote viewing.  If you have PMS up and running, any other client on your local network should be able to immediately access it, even without MyPlex.  I use the N66U, which is very similar, and it does not require any manual setup whatsoever.  However, your MyPlex still should be able to see your server if your PMS is set up properly.  As stated before, this router has uPnP enabled by default, so when you go into PMS settings (http://your.server.i...dress:32400/web) and publish the server, it should automatically open up any necessary port on the router.

im having problems too. i went to my WAN and portforwarding section of my asus router. what should i type? sorry im quite a newbie thanks

#15 hthighway

hthighway

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

im having problems too. i went to my WAN and portforwarding section of my asus router. what should i type? sorry im quite a newbie thanks

Once on the port forwarding screen scroll down to the bottom and in the boxes there enter the following:

For "Service Name" you can enter any descriptive name you want

For "Port Range" enter 32400 (assuming that you left the default value in plex this)

For "Local IP" enter the IP address of your plex server, usually something like 192.168.1.xxx  where xxx is what ever your plex server is

For "Local Port" enter the same value you entered for "Port Range" 32400

For "Protocol" leave it to the default which is TCP

Once this is done click on the plus sign to add this to your port forwarding list and then click the apply button below the list.

f you don't know what your IP address is for you plex server go to that machine and open up a command prompt and type ipconfig.

This will give you the IP address of your server

Local PMS Server: Mini-ITX ASUS H87I-plus MB, i7-4770k CPU, 16GB Ram, 120GB SSD with Windows 7 64bit
Remote PMS: Linode VPS (Xeon E52670 @ 2.60GHz (6 total) | 8 GB Ram | 192GB SSD running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Media Storage: 11+ TBs (Bitcasa Infinite Cloud Storage)
Network: Gigabit running through ASUS RT-AC66U Router | Internet at 100Mbps/5Mbps
Media Devices: Vizio Co-Star GTV(2), Chromecast(1), Plex/Web(5), as well as several android smartphones

#16 gojira35

gojira35

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

still doesnt work :(  i cant find my library on my android phone or galaxy note. how many times i refresh its still black/blank/empty :(

Attached File  1 plex server page.png   249.19KB   17 downloads

Attached File  2 router.png   231.58KB   14 downloads

#17 ianken

ianken

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

Don't know what to say guys. I've used both uPnP and manually set the external port and both worked. I can stream from the Samsung TV at work, and from the web browser without problems.

#18 axehomeless

axehomeless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

Just wanted to say that I have the same problem. Maybe it's because of that Modem/Router fuckery I read somewhere in the FAQ or troubleshooting guide?

#19 BSOD2600

BSOD2600

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:31 AM

I have this router and no problems with getting plex port forwarded.  Although to be safe I forward both TCP and UDP.  Otherwise same as the screenshots a few posts above.

gojira35:

Sure your internal IP  / plex server is 192.168.1.244?  should configure the router to assign you the same IP all the time (lan -> dhcp server tab).

Any errors in the router's System Log? 

#20 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6936 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

gojira35:

lets see the screenshot of 

ipconfig /all

and check the WAN IP Address of the router is not showing an IP Address of 10.0.x.x or 192.168.0.x 

Is the router directly connected to cable/phone line or is there an ISP Modem before it

Other thing to try is to sign out and re-sign in within Plex Media Server Settings page for myPlex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users