19 replies to this topic

#1 Yannickzz

Yannickzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hi,

I've bought the Plex app for Windows 8 a few weeks ago, but i'm unable to play any files from my server. It shows my complete library, but when trying to play a file it just keeps loading infinitely.

Everything works well when using the web client, so it hasn't to do with my network connection. (running the latest 0.9.9)

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

Yannickz:

The troubleshooting steps I mention here apply to your situation as well:

http://forums.plexap...on-tv/?p=374478

#3 Yannickzz

Yannickzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Sadly, that didn't work for me.

#4 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

Well, give me some data.

When you play a TED Talk, what happens?  Any error messages?  Indefinite progress dots?

#5 Yannickzz

Yannickzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Well, give me some data.

When you play a TED Talk, what happens?  Any error messages?  Indefinite progress dots?

I've tried to play a TED talk, an item from Vimeo and YouTube. All three of them keep showing indefinite progress dots. I've already tried to use another port.

#6 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

That's very odd.  I haven't seen that behavior from Media Foundation.  Usually it either plays or errors out.

Does the app bar say "Opening" forever?

What do you mean by using another port?

Are you able to play online video from other "modern" apps?

#7 Yannickzz

Yannickzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

That's very odd.  I haven't seen that behavior from Media Foundation.  Usually it either plays or errors out.

Does the app bar say "Opening" forever?

What do you mean by using another port?

Are you able to play online video from other "modern" apps?

These little dots keep loading infinitely (my complete collections shows up, but it won't play anything):

bug.png

With using another port i mean changing the default port where plex is listening for connections (32400). Everything works well on my Nexus 7, Lumia 800 and iPad.

#8 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

When you play a TED Talk, the Plex app is directly passing the URL of the content to the Media Foundation playback engine.  We basically get out of the way.  So if this is failing, it's almost definitely because (a) Media Foundation is having serious issues of its own, or (B) there's a network issue preventing you from connecting to the TED video.

This is why I was asking you whether other modern apps seem to be able to connect to online sites - e.g. there's a YT app, isn't there?

You should confirm that you're DirectPlaying by swiping/right-clicking the appbar while the dots are progressing.  You'll get some minimal information about what the app is doing (e.g. DirectPlay vs transcode, the state of the Microsoft Media Foundation playback engine).

#9 Yannickzz

Yannickzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

When i right click i only see information about the item i'm playing like the title, the quality of the audio and image. Next to that, it keeps saying 'HTTP live stream opening'. Maybe i clicked something wrong and you mean something else other then this.

openingg.png

#10 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

That's the right thing.

If it says "HTTP Live Streaming", then the server is transcoding to the client.  If the player is stuck in the "Opening" state, then this could be a server issue.  That's something we can investigate at the appropriate time.

But for now, can you find some content that says "Direct Play"?  Like I said, a TED Talk should do the trick.  If a TED Talk doesn't DP, then please post a screenshot of the Media Info dialog on the previous page where it explains why it isn't direct playing.

#11 Yannickzz

Yannickzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Tried it one more time, with a TED talk. It still keeps loading infinetely. Thanks a lot for the help though, i can life for another few months with the web client :)

bug2.png

bug3.png

#12 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Well, yeah, so that's pretty much what you'd expect.  The video is Direct Playing, but Media Foundation is having a problem with the URL.  Is it a network problem?  A video driver problem?  Unclear.

Out of curiosity, does the "TED APP" from the Microsoft Store work?

#13 Yannickzz

Yannickzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

TED app doesn't even seem to be loading videos. So I think there is something else that's preventing Plex from working how it should for me.  My videocard is an ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series

#14 trojkolka

trojkolka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

I encounter the exact same issue... Win8 app is completely unusable for me as it won't play anything and only shows loading dots. 

Both server (Mac mini) and Win8 laptop are in same internal network, running a AMD core 2, 64bit with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 connected over WLAN.

Youtube is also not playing anything...

Funny thing is when i use the Plex client for WIN8 on desktop mode all is working fine...

I hope this is going to be fixed soon...

#15 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

trojkolka: 

When you say "Youtube", do you mean different "modern" app, or the Youtube channel on Plex?

#16 Yannickzz

Yannickzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

trojkolka: 

When you say "Youtube", do you mean different "modern" app, or the Youtube channel on Plex?

I think he means the different modern apps that include video players  (TEDtalk, Youtube). None of them are working for me, so the problem is not from Plex but the GPU or something else.

UPDATE: I've reinstalled Windows, and now everything works perfect!

#17 trojkolka

trojkolka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

I did mean the modern apps indeed. Reinstalling windows is not an option for me... any thoughts on what could cause this? Yannickz, did you have Windows media center  installed before? or something else you had previously but don't have now?

#18 Jaydawgx7

Jaydawgx7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'm having the same issue with the Plex metro app.  Library shows up perfectly, but nothing will actually play.  Same loading dots indefinitely.... Plex media center, plex web client, and android client all work beautifully.  I suppose I can continue to use the plex media center, but seeing as how I paid for the app, I'd like to get it working.  Anyone come up with any other solutions besides re-installing windows?

#19 Yannickzz

Yannickzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

I did mean the modern apps indeed. Reinstalling windows is not an option for me... any thoughts on what could cause this? Yannickz, did you have Windows media center  installed before? or something else you had previously but don't have now?

Yes, I did have Windows media center installed before. Now, on my new Windows 8 installation I don't have it installed. So it might be that's causing all the problems, try to disable Windows media center?

#20 beidsvold

beidsvold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

I'm having the same issue with the Plex metro app.  Library shows up perfectly, but nothing will actually play.  Same loading dots indefinitely.... Plex media center, plex web client, and android client all work beautifully.  I suppose I can continue to use the plex media center, but seeing as how I paid for the app, I'd like to get it working.  Anyone come up with any other solutions besides re-installing windows?

This should help solve your problems: http://www.lysdexic....-windows-8-ati/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users