• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wakewatcher

wakewatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

I'm looking for a solution to reduce my cable bill.  My one gotcha is my wife's addiction to HGTV.  In scanning threads here it looks like their have been problems in the past.  Is it reliably working now?  thx!

#2 BruceDeVries

BruceDeVries

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

I tried HGTV on web client, Roku and Windows 8 metro client.  Some show posters/artwork, but will not play. Say 401 error or in the Roku case that the app is not supported.  Watch the Channel forum for updated info.

#3 sjpocock

sjpocock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

HGTV has been pretty good for me. Most shows seem to work just fine.

My wife loves Sarah's house, Holmes on Holmes and House Hunters - all of which seem to work just fine.

I've been looking to cut our cable bill (Directtv) too - I just struck a compromise with the wife and dropped from our Choice Xtra Plus down to Entertainment - Saved us something like $70 a month. Local channels, BBC America (gotta have my Top Gear!) and football are about the only things stopping us going the whole way now.

Primary PMS : Windows Home Server 2012, AMD Phenom II X4 840, 4GB

Primary Storage : 500Gb Raid-1 (OS, Apps and vital storage)

Media Storage : 13TB in DriveBender Pool

Plex Version :  Windows 9.7.28.33

Clients : 2xRoku3, Roku2XS, 3xAndroid Tablets, 4xAndroid Smartphones, 5xWin7/8 Clients, Samsung SmartHub

#4 wakewatcher

wakewatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I must be missing something.  I'm assuming I've got the Plex server running on my Mac because my Roku app "sees it" However I can't figure out how to point the server to find the HGTV shows.  Nothing jumps out at me in the documentation so I must not be looking in the right place.  What am I missing?  Thx.

EDIT:  Found how to load the HGTV Channel but nothing seems to play.  Get "video unavailable make sure server is running" message.  The server is running as I can watch on the PBS channel.  Hmmmmm.....

#5 roraniel

roraniel

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

I'm looking for a solution to reduce my cable bill.  My one gotcha is my wife's addiction to HGTV.  In scanning threads here it looks like their have been problems in the past.  Is it reliably working now?  thx!

I have not cut the cable cord but I did go to basic HD and returned the cable boxes on the other tv's in our house. I did this because there is a cool Time Warner Cable Roku app that lets you live stream many hd channels to the roku app. It does not include local network channels but we also watch DIY, HGTV, and CNN and it lives streams those and many others.

#6 wakewatcher

wakewatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

I suppose that only works if you are a time warner cable subscriber.  I'm with comcast (comcrap until they get their act together with HBO GO!) 

#7 Tevil

Tevil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

I recently found this thread searching for the same thing.

I have started to use TWONKY and youtube as many shows are there but would love to be able to use plex to stream HGTV and FOOD NW stuff to my roku for the GF.

Everytime I use the plex it tool bar it says it cant find a video on the page tho. Is this a flash HTML5 thing?

We just cut our cable and would love to keep it that way but really these two channels are the make/break to her. I dont watch much TV and usually use HULU myself.

#8 wakewatcher

wakewatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

Change the video decoder from expermental to stable will help but it still hiccups at times.

#9 Mwild00

Mwild00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

I suppose that only works if you are a time warner cable subscriber.  I'm with comcast (comcrap until they get their act together with HBO GO!) 

Don't worry TWC sucks as well. Just wait until you have to deal with their customer no service..

#10 Terry Towe

Terry Towe

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

I'm running PMS 9.5.4 (I think that's the previous stable version, I just saw there was a new stable version released) on a Windows 7 machine and I'm having no issues watching HGTV on a Roku 3.  I'll put the latest server version on a different machine and post if I have a problem.

FYI, I dropped cable 2 weeks ago after discovering the LetMeWatchThis.bundle.  It's absolutely amazing how many shows and movies are available.

#11 Terry Towe

Terry Towe

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

My mistake, I'm actually running the latest stable release of PMS, 9.7.22.  No issues with All-American Handyman, Holmes on Homes or House Hunters on my Roku 3, I have't tried anything else.

#12 card3602

card3602

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

Is HGTV no longer available in the letmewatchthis.bundle? I just downloaded and installed the channel but cannot find any HGTV shows on there. Any help is appreciated!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users