31 replies to this topic

#21 itznfb

itznfb

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

@mjbxx, Which Roku do you have? I have a Roku 2 XD and a Roku 3 and neither of them will direct play of MP4(mpeg4). Even with a single 2 channel AAC audio track.

#22 streammonkey

streammonkey

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Of course I am using XMedia Recode as my entire focus on this thread relates to using it. I utilize MediaInfo to determine the audio Bitrate and Sample Rate as in this example we have an avi file that is mp3 having a Bitrate of 128kbps and a Sample Rate of 48KHZ that would be converted to AAC, LC 128kbps and 48HZ.

Have you noticed that your Xmedia Recode AAC, LC 128Kbps @ 48 Hz is indicated as 0 Kbps when you open the file in Xmedia Recode again or Mediainfo?  If not, what version of Xmedia Recode are you using.  I'm using the latest version and all AAC encodes are coming up as 0 Kbps even though I'm selecting, for instance 192 Kbps during the encode.  My current tests in which this has happened has been with converting a 5.1 stream into an AAC, LC 192Kbps @ 48 Hz track and an AC3 5.1 track.

#23 streammonkey

streammonkey

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

@mjbxx, Which Roku do you have? I have a Roku 2 XD and a Roku 3 and neither of them will direct play of MP4(mpeg4). Even with a single 2 channel AAC audio track.

Not mkjbxx, but I was able to Direct Play an MP4 (MPEG-4), the video that started this topic, on a Roku 2 XS HD.  I'll try on my Roku 3 as well to confirm.

#24 streammonkey

streammonkey

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Of course I am using XMedia Recode as my entire focus on this thread relates to using it. I utilize MediaInfo to determine the audio Bitrate and Sample Rate as in this example we have an avi file that is mp3 having a Bitrate of 128kbps and a Sample Rate of 48KHZ that would be converted to AAC, LC 128kbps and 48HZ.

Last XMedia Recode question.  I have visited the home page of this project, but I can't seem to find a forum or any other way to discuss issues with the application.  Have you had any luck in this regard?

#25 mjbxx

mjbxx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

I have the Roku XS. There is no XMedia Recode forum and I am not seeing 0 Kbps on MediaInfo for these files. I currently use version 3.1.1.8 and tried upgrading but had to revert back because of some issues a while back. Below are my XMedia Recode settings for reference.

OUTPUT FORMAT

Profile = Custom

Format = MP4

File Extension = mp4

VIDEO CODEC

Codec = MPEG-4 AVC - H.264

AUDIO

Codec = AAC

Audio / synchronization = Selected

OUTPUT STREAM TYPE

Video and Audio = Selected 

AUDIO

Modus = Convert

Codec = AAC

Language = English

Sample Rate = Determined by MediaInfo (44000 KHz and 48000KHz are the most popular)

Rate Control Mode = Average bitrate

Bitrate = Determined by MediaInfo (128 kbps being the most popular)

Channels = Stereo

MPEG Version = MPEG-4

Object type = LC (Low Complexity)

Output Format = ADTS 

Lowpass (Hz) = 0

TNS = Not selected

Mid/Slide = Not Selected

#26 streammonkey

streammonkey

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

@mjbxx

So, you only do the AAC Stereo channel, not AC3 5.1 passthrough?

#27 mjbxx

mjbxx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

Correct as I have hearing loss in one ear as I explained earlier and just leave it set to AAC. I am not sure if you can actually do both AAC and AC3 at the same time with XMedia Recode. Apparently you can do both streams according to this guide.  http://www.neowin.ne...-xmedia-recode/

#28 streammonkey

streammonkey

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

@mjbxx

I tried XMedia Recode version 3.1.1.8 and using Mediainfo Lite, there is no Kbps listed for the video file as seen below.

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : A_AAC
Duration                                 : 4mn 37s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : 1mn 5s
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Here is what a Mediainfo listing looks like for a file that was re-encoded using Handbrake.

ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : ac-3
Duration                                 : 52mn 58s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 640 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : 80ms

If you open the same file that was re-encoded by XMedia Recode 3.1.1.8 in XMedia Recode, you'll see 0 Kbps.  Can you please post your Mediainfo audio information so I can see the Bitrate listed.

#29 streammonkey

streammonkey

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

I found out what the problem is.  If the container is MKV, the Audio bitrate is @ 0 Kbps regardless of the Kbps selected prior to encoding.  If I use MP4, the Kbps are @ whatever I selected prior to encoding.  I do hear stereo audio when the format is MKV, but, because I don't know the Kbps, I can't be confident that the audio is of a good quality.  This is really frustrating.  The issue here is that I have video that is natively in MKV format and don't want to have to re-encode to MP4.  Argh!  I really like the XMedia recode software, but there is no support at all.  I've emailed info@xmedia-recode.de several times, but no response at all.  I know that this product is actively developed, but feedback from users is completely ignored.  What a pity. ;-(

#30 mjbxx

mjbxx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

Why in the world would anyone go through all of this to remux an avi video and re-encode the audio to mkv and realize the process failed? MKV DOES NOT WORK FROM PLEX TO ROKU!!! PERIOD!!! Yes, some will get through and most will literally break your heart due to absolute failure. Avoid mkv at all costs on the Roku as if it is the deadliest plague. Roku users need to realize that the one and only true format container is mp4 that includes AAC and or AC3 audio for direct play through Plex. 

#31 streammonkey

streammonkey

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Why in the world would anyone go through all of this to remux an avi video and re-encode the audio to mkv and realize the process failed? MKV DOES NOT WORK FROM PLEX TO ROKU!!! PERIOD!!! Yes, some will get through and most will literally break your heart due to absolute failure. Avoid mkv at all costs on the Roku as if it is the deadliest plague. Roku users need to realize that the one and only true format container is mp4 that includes AAC and or AC3 audio for direct play through Plex. 

My original example was for an AVI.  I have several MKVs that I need to re-encode the audio and remux the video.  So, I'm leaving the container as MKV and splitting the 5.1 audio into one stereo and one 5.1 track.  I am playing these MKVs through the USB on the Roku, not streaming as I do know that only MP4 will stream.

#32 Keltik

Keltik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:55 AM

Hey guys,

thanks for the info on AVI files, if you want to save time on MKV files you will want to check out Shedworx's Smart Converter Pro. The software isn't all that great except it does a really fast and great job on MKV to MP4 conversion (apple tv setting). You can buy the pro version for batch conversion or do a file at a time for free (mac and windows): 

Here is the link for Free Version: http://www.shedworx.com/scw

And here is the link for Pro Version: http://www.shedworx....video-converter

hope it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users