17 replies to this topic

#1 Lodenk

Lodenk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Greetings all,

I finally gave up on Boxee and decided to switch to Plex. Overall I am extremely impressed. I am however unable to access Plex from outside of my local network. I will explain what i have tried and then take any ideas.

1. I have enabled port fowarding to a static machine on 32400 and 22700, I then went into Plex and manually configured the port to 32400.

2. I can go to canyouseeme and it sees the open port on 32400, a netstat -n also shows active connecitons on 32400.

3. I have tried the Plex/Web and the http://(IPADDRESS)/web and ever http://(ipaddress)/web/index.html and I cannot get a connection outside my house. It works fine.

4. I have manually fowarded the ports on the router which is a FIOS actiontec MI424WR-gen3I and I have created UDP and TCP exceptions in Windows, I even went as far as to make the internal IP the DMZ host.

5. Oddly, I cannot connect to it on my phone either.

6. When I go in and publish the server the "last seen time" on the server page updates, but it then says "Unavailable".

What have I missed?!

#2 robgelb

robgelb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

I have a similar issue. When I set-up myPlex on the settings tab of my media manager, I successfully got it to login correctly and map the port. It says that I am signed in. When I try and access it from outside of the network though, it allows me to click on my server, but then the red 'Unavailable' is present. I logged back into my server machine separately using iTeleport to check and it still says I'm logged in. Any thoughts?

In love with Plex though.

#3 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have a similar issue. When I set-up myPlex on the settings tab of my media manager, I successfully got it to login correctly and map the port. It says that I am signed in. When I try and access it from outside of the network though, it allows me to click on my server, but then the red 'Unavailable' is present. I logged back into my server machine separately using iTeleport to check and it still says I'm logged in. Any thoughts?

The server needs to be published, not just logged in.

• robgelb likes this
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#4 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Greetings all,

I finally gave up on Boxee and decided to switch to Plex. Overall I am extremely impressed. I am however unable to access Plex from outside of my local network. I will explain what i have tried and then take any ideas.

1. I have enabled port fowarding to a static machine on 32400 and 22700, I then went into Plex and manually configured the port to 32400.

2. I can go to canyouseeme and it sees the open port on 32400, a netstat -n also shows active connecitons on 32400.

3. I have tried the Plex/Web and the http://(IPADDRESS)/web and ever http://(ipaddress)/web/index.html and I cannot get a connection outside my house. It works fine.

4. I have manually fowarded the ports on the router which is a FIOS actiontec MI424WR-gen3I and I have created UDP and TCP exceptions in Windows, I even went as far as to make the internal IP the DMZ host.

5. Oddly, I cannot connect to it on my phone either.

6. When I go in and publish the server the "last seen time" on the server page updates, but it then says "Unavailable".

What have I missed?!

1) where does 22700 come from?

3) http://IP:32400/web

5) can't connect when the phone is also on the local network, or just remotely?

6) Usually means the port forward is wrong, or something else (router/firewall) is closing down the connection.

• robgelb likes this
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2

#5 robgelb

robgelb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

The server needs to be published, not just logged in.

When I went to my settings (server) and signed into myPlex, made sure my server is connected (server is mapped to port 22777), what else is there to do to publish server? When I log into myplex from outside of the network in Plex Web, My server is listed, and it says 'last seen: yesterday', but I'm unable to connect. While I see that in one screen, I'm also looking at the local screen that says those two things (signed in and server is mapped) are ticked green.

Apologies if I'm doing something wrong, but I couldn't find any other place where I can publish my server (I thought I already had).

Thanks!

#6 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

When I went to my settings (server) and signed into myPlex, made sure my server is connected (server is mapped to port 22777), what else is there to do to publish server? When I log into myplex from outside of the network in Plex Web, My server is listed, and it says 'last seen: yesterday', but I'm unable to connect. While I see that in one screen, I'm also looking at the local screen that says those two things (signed in and server is mapped) are ticked green.

Apologies if I'm doing something wrong, but I couldn't find any other place where I can publish my server (I thought I already had).

Thanks!

when you view it here -> https://my.plexapp.com/servers

what colour text is it name listed in?

when you connect externally for Plex/Web, is it via this address -> http://my.plexapp.com/web ?

• robgelb likes this

#7 robgelb

robgelb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

when you view it here -> https://my.plexapp.com/servers

what colour text is it name listed in?

when you connect externally for Plex/Web, is it via this address -> http://my.plexapp.com/web ?

https://my.plexapp.com/servers - From Local - green, From outside the network - Starts out orange then turns red.

http://my.plexapp.com/web - Yes - but it says 'could not connect to server.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

#8 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

https://my.plexapp.com/servers - From Local - green, From outside the network - Starts out orange then turns red.

are you saying that depending on from where you view that exact address from, the colour of the text changes?

• robgelb likes this

#9 robgelb

robgelb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

are you saying that depending on from where you view that exact address from, the colour of the text changes?

Yes - if I am on the local network it is green, and if I am on a machine away from the network it is red, but it shows to be connected on the settings. Does that make sense?

#10 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yes - if I am on the local network it is green, and if I am on a machine away from the network it is red, but it shows to be connected on the settings. Does that make sense?

None :)

Though I get what you are saying.

You don't have one of those "only be online when being used" internet connections do you?  So the connection would only be active when you are online at home using it? (aka dial-on-demand)

Do you have a 3G device?  Can you view http://my.plexapp.co...ltaneously¬†from both and report the colour on both?

• robgelb likes this

#11 robgelb

robgelb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

None :)

Though I get what you are saying.

You don't have one of those "only be online when being used" internet connections do you?  So the connection would only be active when you are online at home using it? (aka dial-on-demand)

Do you have a 3G device?  Can you view http://my.plexapp.co...ltaneously¬†from both and report the colour on both?

I never seem to have easy-to-fix issues! :) I'm able to get into my server machine using iTeleport on my iPad right now (I'm on a different network at the moment), and I know that my internet connection is an always-on connection. I tried looking for my server on my ipad plex app (on another network) and it couldn't find it. If I access it on the ipad from the home network, it picks it up fine.

For a while I couldn't get myPlex to work at all because I use a different router to my ISP's supplied one, but after reading the forums, I turned the second router into an AP, and then myPlex logged in without a problem on my home server. Because it finally connected at the home server, I thought I might have been out of the woods, though I still cannot access it from off-network. It does seem to register that the server exists, as in Plex Web knows the IP address and the port, it just seems to think it's off or unavailable. After signing into my home machine through iTeleport, I'm able to see that it is still on and has a green connection.

Not that that helped you in any way - just thought I'd try explaining it more! Thanks again for taking the time!

#12 robgelb

robgelb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Just tried what you suggested about the 3g connection and it worked! How weird - it found my server fine when connecting over 3g but is still unable when I'm connected to this wifi connection. Do you think it could be the firewall settings for the network I'm on? It is a university network, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

#13 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Do you think it could be the firewall settings for the network I'm on? It is a university network, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

I'd almost guarantee it.

• robgelb likes this

#14 robgelb

robgelb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

How odd! I wonder how I could figure that out. Thank you so much for your help - that 3g test at least makes me think that I've set it up correctly at least.

#15 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

How odd! I wonder how I could figure that out. Thank you so much for your help - that 3g test at least makes me think that I've set it up correctly at least.

you can try changing the external port on your mapping to 80 or 443 or something else they might leave open (maybe some of the VPN ports) though this would interfere with anything you already have running on those ports...

• robgelb likes this

#16 robgelb

robgelb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

As I'm on a University network, I don't think I'd be able to change anything. I'm also a bit of a n00b, so anything that can potentially break, usually does when I try messing with it.

Thanks though again for your help!

#17 Lodenk

Lodenk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

I was able to get the web interface working last night after rebooting the router, and then restarting my machine. I also found that some of the traffic from my work network may be blocking weird ports.

#18 prem1er

prem1er

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

As I'm on a University network, I don't think I'd be able to change anything. I'm also a bit of a n00b, so anything that can potentially break, usually does when I try messing with it.

Thanks though again for your help!

Trudge was not refering to changing ports on any network. He meant to change the port that the Plex server listens on to a more common port that would be allowed by the firewall.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 12.04, AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5Ghz, 8GB ram

Storage: 3TB WD

Mobile Client: 1 x Samsung Galaxy S4, 1 x HTC One, 1 x ASUS TF101

Other Client: Roku 3