Photo

High Res Plex App - would you pay for it?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ijhammo

ijhammo

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

This is just a hypothetical question and in no way any form of solicitation!!  :ph34r:

I know there have been a few threads on the resolution of the SmartHub Plex App and that it is limited by what the TV is capable of.  I also read that the very newest TV's now offer higher res capabilities in the SmartHub, but that its currently unlikely a high res version will be made because of the overhead of multiple versions.

However, I was wondering how many people would be willing to pay for a high res version should the awesome guys who ported plex to the Samsung chose to make one - PlexHD if you like :P

Paying for premium versions of apps is nothing new (been happening on the fruity app store for ages) and I noticed that other SmartHub app makers also have free and paid versions (AccuWeather being one).

I for one would be happy to pay for a high res version - if you would to please +1 here!

(obviously the HD version would be limited to those TVs that support it)

#2 Peter911

Peter911

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Good idea, i would Pay for;-)

#3 RockStar

RockStar

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1771 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

A high resolution version would not differentiate the apps enough for me, to choose it over the free low res version. Especially not if the free low res version navigates faster through the menus.
Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

#4 NaDs

NaDs

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

Some what related....

I have notice the samsung youtube app has had a appearance change

Has the resolution been changed or is the font just smaller??

Either way looks better in my opinion...

If there was a noticble different on plex I would pay for better resolution

#5 dane22

dane22

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3346 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

Not having an F-Serie myself, but if I had, I couldn't care about res. of Plex, as long as the movies/pictures are in high res

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB

Join me in the Find unmatched items within PlexSRT2UTF-8. RemIdx. Plex2CSV

--------- Support the Samsung Client ---------------

If you like the Samsung Client, Please Donate. If you like the Samsung Client, tell Samsung

------------------------ Most common Guides ---------------------

Media naming guide Using Subtitles Nas Guide Log Files Channel Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember ALWAYS to report back

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

#6 iphoneuser

iphoneuser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

I would pay for a way to use the ipad or android tablet as a remote to start content on the samsung. That works already with dlna-apps and using plex as an dlna-server.

#7 Gaevonn

Gaevonn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

+1 for me.... I like how the app works and would love HD support if available.

#8 ijhammo

ijhammo

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

I would pay for a way to use the ipad or android tablet as a remote to start content on the samsung. That works already with dlna-apps and using plex as an dlna-server.

This is never going to happen - at least not unless Samsung writes it!  Its not something the Plex guys can do from within the App.  Whereas, they CAN (hint hint) add in HD support for menu's and artwork now that Samsung has added this feature in the SDK.

Its such a shame.  I have all this beautiful artwork in my library and this amazing TV that I cant look at it on  :mellow:

#9 breezytm

breezytm

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Everyone is saying they don't care for the HD app now simply because it isn't out yet. I would like to see my artworks displaying on my HD TV in HD. Who still downloads 480p movies? oh wait, no one? really? why? Oh i know. Because there's are better qualities such as 720 & 1080p. You would only download one if and only there aren't any other options. 

In the little girl's voice from the AT&T commercial' "More is better than less because if stuff is not less there's more less stuff, ....We want more, we want more."  :D

#10 RockStar

RockStar

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1771 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Please just speak for yourself.  That doesnt go for everyone at all.  Even if both versions were free, Id still choose the low res version, as Orca has clearly stated, a high res version would perform poorly due to the limited resources on these TVs.  Id never choose the poorest performer of the two, much less if I had to pay for it.  And even if Orca somehow came up with some black magic woodoo shit that made the high res version perform on par with the low res,  I still dont think I would pay for it if a low res version was availiable for free.

And the movie comparison is poor at best because you take performance out of the equation.  I bet you would download 480p movies, if the higher res versions performed poorly (stuttered, sync issues whatever).  More isn't always better if somethings gotta give.

Everyone is saying they don't care for the HD app now simply because it isn't out yet. I would like to see my artworks displaying on my HD TV in HD. Who still downloads 480p movies? oh wait, no one? really? why? Oh i know. Because there's are better qualities such as 720 & 1080p.

Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

#11 breezytm

breezytm

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Please just speak for yourself.  That doesnt go for everyone at all.  Even if both versions were free, Id still choose the low res version, as Orca has clearly stated, a high res version would perform poorly due to the limited resources on these TVs.  Id never choose the poorest performer of the two, much less if I had to pay for it.  And even if Orca somehow came up with some black magic woodoo shit that made the high res version perform on par with the low res,  I still dont think I would pay for it if a low res version was availiable for free.

And the movie comparison is poor at best because you take performance out of the equation.  I bet you would download 480p movies, if the higher res versions performed poorly (stuttered, sync issues whatever).  More isn't always better if somethings gotta give.

There aren't any limitations on the things we can do in life. There are a lot of things we thought was impossible. Once it is done, then we realize when can make it better. I totally understand where you coming from but i refuse to settle for less. When i got to my job there were a lot of things i heard that they attempted to do and failed. I had many arguments with managers and senior admins and programmers about way of getting this done and since i am young they didn't listen. I took it upon myself to prove them wrong. One example: They were manually creating VMs in our vmware environment. Creating 100s of VMs manually. I wrote a script to do it on it's own and lesser time. Then i started getting complains about the powershell was using to much resources from the vCenter server. They argue with me that i should stop doing it so i don't bring down the infrastructure. I didn't listen so i re write the script and improved it so it uses less resources. Now the times it used to take to create 100 VMs we can create 1000. Another example: A had a server with an ARM processor and i was reading in forums were many people were discussing that Plex would never work with arm processors because it doesn't have the horse power to support transcoding. I actually sold my server to a friend and brought a new one. Right after they sent out the plex server for arm processors. My friend uses everyday at home, i stream from his house and it works great. I bet 1837 they said it would of been impossible to fit a computer in a small room. Now you caring it around in your pocket.

I am not going to argue with you. I am not going to disagree with you either. I did not talk for anyone. I wasn't talking for anyone for that matter. I apologize if i offended anyone. One thing i learned from playing sports is anything is possible. It only takes one to step up and lead the way. Once one steps up everyone would join in and make it happen. 

#12 ijhammo

ijhammo

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Please just speak for yourself.  That doesnt go for everyone at all.  Even if both versions were free, Id still choose the low res version, as Orca has clearly stated, a high res version would perform poorly due to the limited resources on these TVs..

I think that's the point though. Samsung allowed higher res in the apps as the H/W can now support it - plus the new F-Series is a quad core processor. If it can play my native blu-ray rips I think it can display some artwork at 720 or 1080. And if it was done really cleverly you could make it look better for little performance cost. As the background images are mostly obscured by other stuff you could keep those lower res and just use higher res fonts and cover art (perhaps)

As my original post said - it would be limited to those whose TVs could support it.

#13 RockStar

RockStar

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1771 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

There aren't any limitations on the things we can do in life. 

Thats just wrong.

I wasn't talking for anyone for that matter.

actually, you claimed you were speaking for everyone.

#14 RockStar

RockStar

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1771 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I think that's the point though. Samsung allowed higher res in the apps as the H/W can now support it - plus the new F-Series is a quad core processor. If it can play my native blu-ray rips I think it can display some artwork at 720 or 1080. And if it was done really cleverly you could make it look better for little performance cost. As the background images are mostly obscured by other stuff you could keep those lower res and just use higher res fonts and cover art (perhaps)

As my original post said - it would be limited to those whose TVs could support it.

First off, the fact that it can play bluray rips doesnt translate into it having a fast UI.

Faster chips however, obviously makes a higher resolution UI more feasible, yet at a cost.

Your initial question however was; everything else being the same, would you pay for a high res version over a free low res alternative.

For me, thats a no

#15 ijhammo

ijhammo

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

First off, the fact that it can play bluray rips doesnt translate into it having a fast UI.

When you start a sentence "First off" it translates in to "you're wrong idiot". In this instance that's up for negotiation (although often true :-p) but Samsung enabled higher res for a reason after all?

Faster chips however, obviously makes a higher resolution UI more feasible, yet at a cost.
Your initial question however was; everything else being the same, would you pay for a high res version over a free low res alternative.
For me, thats a no

Yup, think we got that ;-)

#16 RockStar

RockStar

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1771 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

There was no offence intended.

This is never going to happen - at least not unless Samsung writes it! 

Off topic, but in response to this anyways.  DIAL was developed by YouTube and Netflix.  If you arent already familiar with it, its the "second screen" option already availiable in the current YouTube app.  They say it will be open for anyone who wants to use it, it may allready be, Im not sure.  Implementing it would not involve Samsung, but would require PMS support.

This would be a feature I would pay for aswell.

#17 dane22

dane22

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3346 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

When you start a sentence "First off" it translates in to "you're wrong idiot". In this instance that's up for negotiation (although often true :-p) but Samsung enabled higher res for a reason after all?

Yup, think we got that ;-)

Well....But RockStar & I tend to be "aggressive" to people up here, even when we doesn't intend to, and funny enough, most times actually collides with each other, rather than with others.....My cover is that I'm not a native English speaker, and as such, from time to time get lost in translation :rolleyes:

I don't know RockStar's nationality though, but actually would guess in the scandinavia, but prove me wrong here RockStar.

When above is said, I do beleave, that beside the wording, that RockStar is 100 % correct here....

Just my 10 cent

/T

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB

Join me in the Find unmatched items within PlexSRT2UTF-8. RemIdx. Plex2CSV

--------- Support the Samsung Client ---------------

If you like the Samsung Client, Please Donate. If you like the Samsung Client, tell Samsung

------------------------ Most common Guides ---------------------

Media naming guide Using Subtitles Nas Guide Log Files Channel Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember ALWAYS to report back

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

#18 ijhammo

ijhammo

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the thread calming - it's appreciated :-)

I agree that being able to play native blu-ray is not a guarantee that the UI would be smooth in high res. But I just don't buy that the quad core processors in the new F series would struggle with it. Have you had a chance to play with the new smart hub? (if not it is definitely worth a play). It is high res and is full of beautiful animations, transitions and pictures.

I will just have to live in hope that eventually the TVs will all support high res so that it becomes viable for everyone.

Regarding the control from devices (which I would also pay for) I was kind of quoting a post from Orca that said they wouldn't be doing it. If there is a way I would very much welcome it!

#19 Orca

Orca

Plex for Samsung Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

Well won't be doing it is not the right choice of words, we can't at the moment, the PMS will need to be updated to support the Samsung as a player.

That will require it to know how to talk to the Samsung which is very different from the way IOS does it. So maybe in the future...

On the HD subject. It's totally possible to create an app in 720P (1280) for the newer devices (actually HD1080 already made such an app in the past, but it's an older version),

but as long as not all devices support it, it's too much trouble to do everything twice.

At some point we will no longer support older devices and will be able to make use of the extra power of the new ones.

I guess that will also be the time to build a new app with a different interface. 

At the moment our 2010 userbase is equally large to the 2011 userbase, until that changes, we will keep the current resolution as default.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

#20 breezytm

breezytm

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

It seems as if the problem is "unity". One app for them all. Sounds good. It's great as a matter fact. It's the way to go.

But i think some people are missing the point. If it is a paid app and it would only work for the new models. If that is the case than too bad for the old ones. You send it out with a hardware requirement and if your device don't meet that requirement then it isn't for you. If you want the new app and want to use it than you get yourself a new tv  that would support it. If you don't want to do that then you continue to use the free one. I think the choice is being taken away from the user. I may be a crazy person who has money to waste and would actually buy a new TV just for the app. You give me options and allow me to make choices. If i don't have any options how can i make a choice? Without options the choice is made for me. Anyway bottom line is, if it is out there some of us would use it. I am sure even the ones who argues now would use it because at some point of time you will have to change your tv. I am missing out on so much and my tv is only 2 years old. The only worry should be "if i exhaust my time and make such app would it actually worth it in the long run" as far as people buying it when they have the options to use the free one well for free and "how much work would it takes to make the PMS service both universal app and the new HD app flawlessly?" (that's me thinking out loud, so please don't come to me saying i am talking for everyone :D). Then this thread is the perfect thread because it gives you an idea of how many people would pay for it when it comes out. 

I see this guy PMS specs and I was shocked. i7 processor, 22 x 3tb red WD drives, 8GB or ram. I am pretty sure he doesn't use nearly 1/4/4 (0.0625) of the resources. Clearly this guy has money to waste and would invest in the app. I have a quad core and 1gb ram and my ram never exceed 512 and the cpu usage is around half on all cores. 

However, I was wondering how many people would be willing to pay for a high res version should the awesome guys who ported plex to the Samsung chose to make one - PlexHD if you like  :P

Paying for premium versions of apps is nothing new (been happening on the fruity app store for ages) and I noticed that other SmartHub app makers also have free and paid versions (AccuWeather being one).

I would pay for it. My TV is a 2011 and if it doesn't support the app then i would sell it to someone who doesn't care about all these things i care about and buy a new model. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users