Photo

Why do you charge for the Plex App in Win8 Metro?

Plex Win8 Metro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gumbee13

gumbee13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

Why do you charge for the Plex App in Win8 Metro?

Why would I buy it in the Win 8 Modern UI (Metro) store for $2.99 if I can down load it for free?

It is free on the Roku and on Samsung Apps (Samsung smart tv or Blu-Ray players) but if I want it in the new Win 8 layout I have to pay for it. Same with ANDROID.....

Gumby

BTW it is a great program :ph34r:

I have over 150 movies streaming now

#2 tomasswood

tomasswood

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

Extra development, it's an 'App'. $3 and $5 is piss all money for the 2 greatest plex clients. $75 lifetime is nothing for a lifetimes worth of plex :D

Latest PMS Preview (Unraid OS latest)
Latest Android Kepler (Galaxy S3 GT-i9300, JB 4.1.2)

Latest Windows 8 App

Rasplex (256mb RPi)

#3 Gh05t

Gh05t

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

The standard windows app is free but is not a native Windows 8 Modern UI app.  For those with a tablet running windows 8 the native app gives a more integrated/seamless experience.  Remember that the iOS app is also a paid app.  This is due to the fact that the standard desktop version is a front-end media component forked from XBMC and is distributed under the GNU General Public License, whereas the mobile apps - inclusive of the Windows 8 app - are not.  The thing that makes it all work, the Plex Media Server is also a proprietary backend and is closed source.  So if you really think about it - they're giving the Server away for free when they don't have to.  Its a good and fair business model when you really think about it.  You're only being charged for the extras but the basic, generic HTPC experience is free of charge to all. 

So if you appreciate the integration and mobility and eye candy - go for it; if not then so be it.

#4 Gh05t

Gh05t

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:02 AM

and in the end really, its a for profit business... so I'm guessing they're charging money because well they want to eat...

#5 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2883 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

We do like eating...

#6 nikhill

nikhill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Well I've bought the client 3 times! Wife has iPhone, I did have Android and now on WP8......There needs to be some sort of universal store for all mobile purchases so we don't have to buy the same product over and over.

It's like having to buy yourself a whole new wardrobe each time you buy a new washing machine.... 

#7 Gh05t

Gh05t

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Not to get all pedantic up in here but you actually didn't purchase the same app three times. You bought three apps once. They exist on separate operating systems and aren't an easy copy paste from one to the other to the other. Wile I understand not wanting to spend the morning Latte costs on an app I feel it's a totally fair charge. Ask me about the subscription and I might have a slightly different opinion. All in all its a business model that they've decided to embrace so what are you gonna do? Vote with your pocketbook I guess. The idea of a bundle would may be interest a few and as long as it didn't take a lot of backed to setup I can see the potential interest but most people don't use all platforms. I could get behind a subscription that offered all mobile clients for free though.

#8 skibbs

skibbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Well I've bought the client 3 times! Wife has iPhone, I did have Android and now on WP8......There needs to be some sort of universal store for all mobile purchases so we don't have to buy the same product over and over.

It's like having to buy yourself a whole new wardrobe each time you buy a new washing machine.... 

Consider it a donation to the deserving Plex team, I've personally bought the iOS, Android, and Windows 8 apps, plus a Plex Pass subscription and still consider it an AMAZING bargain. We really should support the things that we love and get a lot of use out of. I'm happy to contribute a few bucks here and there for the amazing work that these guys do. Seriously, think about all the headaches that Plex has saved you from and all the enjoyment you've gotten from their products - you probably spent < $20 on those apps in total, that's less than you'd spend taking your wife to the cinema once! It's still a bargain :)

#9 skibbs

skibbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Also, if you have a touch device then the Plex app is a pleasure to use - it's only $3 now! I vaguely remember buying it for $5 months ago, but I could be wrong.

Surface + Plex = iPad left in a drawer for months

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users