• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 henryhsu

henryhsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:04 AM

I just got my OUYA, and got Plex launched on it.

This might be obvious to some -- but I am a total n00b, so it wasn't obvious to me. Therefore, I am posting this in case there are others out there like me:  somebody who wants complete step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

( Bought an OUYA specifically to run Plex. Signed up for PlexPass to get access to the app -- and of course, detailed instructions on how to install it.   Whoops, no such luck.)

THIS POST ASSUMES YOU ARE A PLEXPASS USER.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF (PlexPass) PLEX MEDIA SERVER.

http://forums.plexap...d-instructions/

MANY THANKS TO THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO WHO HELPED:

Okay, so here's how to install the Plex [Android Kepler] client on OUYA, step by step:

1. On the OUYA, launch the web browser:

• Main Menu > "Make"
  • Dismiss the dialog box that says, "This section is for developers to look at their in-progress builds" by pressing the "A" button
  • Select "Software"
  • Select "Browser"

2. Type in the URL [web address / link] of the Android Plex (Kepler) APK in the browser

• Question: How do you even change the URL?
  • Answer: I don't know. I sat around pressing every button on the controller like an idiot, when I finally just connected a USB mouse to the OUYA.
  • So just use a USB mouse to hover over the web address section;

3. Your OUYA will now download the Plex APK.  (Don't blink... you will miss the message from the OUYA web browser that says, "Starting Download". It appeared seriously for maybe 50 milliseconds).

• After the APK downloads to your OUYA, the web browser will... do absolutely nothing and give no comfirmation or indication that it's been downloaded. Helpful.
  • The Plex APK is only about 3MB big, so don't sit there for hours. It's probably already done by the time you read this sentence.

4. Go all the way back to the OUYA main menu.   Select "Manage" > "System" > "Advanced".

5. Scroll down to "Device > Storage"

6. Select "Downloads". 

• If you don't see Downloads, step #2 / #3 didn't happen.
  • Click on the Plex Kepler APK file  (kepler-vX.X.XX.apk)
  • Select Install

DONE! 

• Now, to launch Plex, from the OUYA Main menu, you just have to select "Make" > "Software" > "Plex".  (Which makes it wife unfriendly, so I have to go back to the Roku).

• Given that this is a PlexPass release, you obviously cannot use this unless you are a PlexPass member. So don't even try. (You have to login).

#2 dlanor

dlanor

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hi Henry!
Reading your post raised several questions that I hope you can answer, as I'm waiting for delivery of my own Ouya.

I just got my OUYA, and got Plex launched on it.

This raises my first question which relates to how you originally ordered your Ouya, as a "Kickstarter Backer" or as a normal preorder customer (like myself). That's just to get some clue as to whether or not deliveries to such normal preorder customers have started yet.

( Bought an OUYA specifically to run Plex. Signed up for PlexPass to get access to the app -- and of course, detailed instructions on how to install it.   Whoops, no such luck.)

And this raises more questions, as follows:

Why no luck with normal install methods ?

Does this mean that the Ouya has NO access to the normal app stores on the web ?
(If so it can hardly be considered a proper Android implementation.)

My own second choice would have been to install APK files locally, either from a computer in my LAN or from a USB storage drive plugged into the Ouya (after using a computer to download and store the APKs).

But this assumes that the Ouya does have a proper app manager, able to access APK files from LAN or USB.
And if it has none, that's another point against it being a proper Android implementation.

I too have intended to use the Ouya for Plex access, but for that to be practical it needs to support normal Android tools and access methods, in addition to its game and gamepad usages. Otherwise it's just another game console.

----- as for some browser usage problems -----

So just use a USB mouse to hover over the web address section;

Good luck typing that into your OUYA's web browser, it is a good way to drive your self crazy.

I'd recommend that you get a USB keyboard+mouse combo or keyboard with touchpad, connected to the Ouya by USB.
That's what I use myself with my current Android set-top box (which I planned to replace with the Ouya when it comes).
This allows web-browsers and other apps to be used much like they're used on a normal computer.
(Btw: I've done the same with most of my consoles too, such as PS2 and PS3.)

After the APK downloads to your OUYA, the web browser will... do absolutely nothing and give no comfirmation or indication that it's been downloaded. Helpful.

That again raises the issue of whether or not the Ouya really is a proper Android implementation, able to show a normal Android desktop (even if not by default) and to install and use normal Android app and system managers (such as "ES File Explorer" and others). If no sensible tools are available for app management, other than a web browser (of all implausible things to do it with), then I might have to reconsider using the Ouya as I had planned. I might have to see it only as a simple game console, in that case.

Now, to launch Plex, from the OUYA Main menu, you just have to select "Make" > "Software" > "Plex".  (Which makes it wife unfriendly, so I have to go back to the Roku).

I'm not sure if I understood earlier parts of your post correctly, but I belive you there described that main menu and those commands as being entries on a web page (though local) accessed through a web browser. And if that is the ONLY way to start apps on the Ouya, then the last nail in its coffin is hammered in, because that is NOT an acceptable Android implementation at all.

I'm seriously worried by your description of how impractical the Ouya is to use, and how greatly it deviates from Android norms.

It doesn't match all the hype about its advantages, but then again this is the first description of its practical use that I've read, as written by someone not on the Ouya staff, or otherwise involved in Ouya promotion...

Best regards: dlanor

#3 henryhsu

henryhsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

Hi there,

a) I ordered as a Kickstarter Backer.

b ) Hmmm, the easiest way to describe this is that Ouya has a marketplace / store for apps, sort of like a Smart TV. When you turn on OUYA, there's basically four options:

- Play   [launch Ouya apps, which are 95% games]

- Discover  [find other Ouya apps, which are 95% games]

- Make    [ for nerds, this is where you sideload and do weird things]

- Manage   [ settings ]

So typically, you click into Discover, and yay, you just installed a new app [95% probability a game].

But there are very few apps there so far. Ouya is still technically in beta or preview or whatever they call it. Notably, Plex is not in the store ["Discover"] yet. 

Plex (and Ouya) have both publicly stated that the Plex client will be available on the Ouya's marketplace as an official app. But right now, it's not there yet. So to get it running, you basically have to hack it [side-load the APK]. But if you side-load an APK, since it wasn't installed the official way, the only way to launch the installed app is via the developer's screen ["Make"].

It is fully my understanding that one day, I can install "Plex" as an Ouya app and launch it like every other Ouya app ["Play"]. And my intent was to use the Ouya 100% for Plex and basically ignore the fact that it's really a gaming platform. However, because Plex is not yet available today in the Ouya store (I forget what they call it), it is not as obviously launchable. It's not inconvenient, but it's certainly not something my wife would do.

Sorry, it's kind of hard to describe if you haven't seen it before, but hopefully that gives you a good idea. I'd google "Ouya menus" to see. There are really only like 4 menus, very simple / straightforward, and definitely not straight up Android like GoogleTV or whatever.

c) There is no obvious app manager besides the built-in marketplace / store. But, to Ouya's credit, they do make the interface I described above available so you can side-load APKs.

d) From the only 20 minutes I've spent on the Ouya, I'd say the best description is that it is a heavily-skinned Android with no obvious way to get to the "desktop". From the casual user's perspective, it looks very very much like a Roku. So, yes, you can launch "apps" (games), but only for those installed the through the official Ouya store / marketplace thing.

It's an extremely simple menu'ed interface, pretty much optimized for finding/installing new games [like in Roku you find/install new "channels"] and then launching them. And pretty much nothing else.

There is a way to get to one settings page that looks like stock Android's settings menu [it even has entries for "battery" which are obviously not at all relevant for Ouya, just assuming the Ouya is a phone or a tablet]. But that's about as much stock Android as you can [obviously] access. And even to access it, you get these dialog boxes basically saying, "Hey if you are a casual user you shouldn't be here."

Anyways, I knew when I bought it that it's a game console, and completely understand the design concept. So, can't complain. I just figured that since it has a better GPU than a Roku [and that Plex is definitely committed to the platform], I'd give it a shot. Also, at $99 it's like why not.

My own second choice would have been to install APK files locally, either from a computer in my LAN or from a USB storage drive plugged into the Ouya (after using a computer to download and store the APKs).

Honestly, I just YouTube'd the first video I can find that showed me a way to do it, and did it that way.

It's altogether possible the USB way would work, too -- but not much different from how I described -- just skip the "download via web browser" step, because in the same menu where it says "Downloads" (my Step #6) there was also an entry for "Storage". I would suspect that if you chose "Storage" there may appear a file browser for you to launch an APK.

But no, there is definitely not a normal App Manager as you would think of it.

Hope that helps.

#4 dlanor

dlanor

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for all this info, and yes, it does help me a lot to have it.

I can now readjust my plans for the Ouya, which I assume I'll have to wait at least one more month to get.

Your information makes it quite clear that as it comes the Ouya is NOT capable of replacing my current Android box as generic Android computer and main media player. That will apparently require extensive homebrewing and possibly some jailbreaking, much as it has been necessary to do such for all the other major game consoles. (I've been involved in PS2 homebrew coding myself, and have dabbled in PS3 homebrew mainly as end user, rather than coder.)

Hopefully the Ouya developers have kept their original promises of keeping the platform open, which should make it much easier to develop homebrew tools for it, including various means to make the Ouya behave more like a 'normal' Android device (such as access to google play appstore etc).

#5 mit3y

mit3y

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for the thorough walkthrough, I did manage to get kepler installed on my OUYA and it runs.  I haven't really put it to the test (stability wise) yet.

I have to say though, OUYA in general is wildly underwhelming..  I don't regret backing them, because its a good direction to go and its good for the android ecosystem.. but after about 3 hours with it the out of box experience was "meh" and I'm already thinking of going back to Roku for my main plex client.

It would be nice is Kepler eventually made it into the normal 'Discover' OUYA flow, however.

-mm

#6 roman

roman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for the instructions, this works great!

BTW, the controller has a trackpad on it.  Try moving your finger over the black area of the controller and a mouse pointer appears.  Tap on the area and it acts like a mouse click.  No need to attach a mouse.

My thumbnails stopped working after I played a movie, but I suspect that is because my PMS is on a standard non-PlexPass version.

#7 dlanor

dlanor

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

It would be nice is Kepler eventually made it into the normal 'Discover' OUYA flow, however.

I agree that it should be there, as should the non-PlexPass 'Plex for Android' client, since Plex compatibility was one of the sales arguments for the Ouya.

But it would be even nicer if someone were to make an Ouya app giving access to the normal Google Play appstore.
To me such access is a crucial part of generic Android compatibility.

#8 roman

roman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Plex works very well on the OUYA with the latest Kepler Plex-Pass based Android APK and the latest Plex-Pass PMS.   (The latest PMS fixed my thumbnail issue)

720p videos play very quickly and without stuttering and queued videos from the web play fine.  I've read that DTS is not supported yet on the OUYA, but I don't have an HDMI capable receiver to test if this is also the case with Plex.  Unfortunately, the OUYA does not have a SPDIF digital audio out for my receiver. 

All my media is transcoded from the PMS.  I don't have any high bit-rate video to test, but I imagine that will be up to just how much my Mac can transcode.  Time will tell if hardware acceleration is built into the Plex APK and more of the work will be done on the device.

The iOS Plex app works flawlessly to control Plex.

The OUYA is overscanning my content and even with overscan compensation on, it doesn't fix the issue.

Coming from using a Raspberry Pi with only 256mb of RAM (which is unusable because of the low RAM vs the 512mb varient), I'm very happy with this preview release of Plex on the OUYA.

#9 jrohland

jrohland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for the instructions, I was able to get plex working on my ouya. I haven't had any luck with HD content however. Any time I up the quality over the network to 720p the video just doesn't play. I'm currently running over wireless which might add to the issue so I'll try running an ethernet cable to the ouya later. Was curious if anyone tried playing 720p or 1080p over their ouya through plex yet.

#10 dlanor

dlanor

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the instructions, I was able to get plex working on my ouya. I haven't had any luck with HD content however. Any time I up the quality over the network to 720p the video just doesn't play. I'm currently running over wireless which might add to the issue so I'll try running an ethernet cable to the ouya later. Was curious if anyone tried playing 720p or 1080p over their ouya through plex yet.

I haven't done either on an Ouya (still waiting for mine), but I've done both on a "Xios DS Media Play" whose hardware is supposedly much 'weaker' than that of the Ouya. So the Ouya should have no problems doing it.

Still, we have to remember that its's not just a matter of testing a video in 1080p or 720p, as if the pixel count was the only thing that mattered. Far more important is the bit count per pixel as well as total bit count per frame, which both increase the transfer bandwidth requirement.

And using WiFi doesn't just limit the bandwidth as such, but also introduces various forms of interference, perhaps most seriously the packet time-slot collisions with neighbouring LANs using the same WiFi frequencies. From a computer's viewpoint each LAN is a separate 'universe', kept from interactions with others by the encryption protocols, but in the real analog world they are all competing for time-slots in which to send their packets on a limited set of shared frequencies. So every packet that collides with another must be resent, and where many share the same frequencies the same packets may need to be resent over and over again, resulting in drastically reduced effective bandwidth.

Long story short, I expect the Ouya to be at least equally capable as any other set-top box when it comes to playback, but for good results with high-quality video transfers I strongly recommend a wired network.

#11 roman

roman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

720p and 1080p play on my OUYA (wired ethernet), but everything is transcoded via PMS on my Mac.

#12 darcilicious

darcilicious

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

720p and 1080p play on my OUYA (wired ethernet), but everything is transcoded via PMS on my Mac.

Resolution is only part of the video file makeup. How it is encoded and what container is used is going to have a bigger impact on the transcode  / no transcode part.

Plex Media Server v0.9.8.18 / HP Touchsmart 600-1105xt / HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
PlexPass / Plex Home Theater v1.0.7 / Plex for Windows 8 v1.6.0.5 / TouchSmart Envy 23-d160qd / HP Media Center 8400F  
Sonos Play:3, Connect / Simple.TV / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 4

#13 jrohland

jrohland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

Yeah I was able to get 720p and 1080p to play with transcoding but it looked really pixelated. When I set the option to direct play in the Android app on the Ouya I just couldn't get any playback, video or audio. I also tried upping the bitrate as high as it could go but didn't have any luck with that either. I'm wondering if we just need to wait for some hardware decoding or even missing codecs to be loaded to watch without transcoding.

#14 roman

roman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

Yeah I was able to get 720p and 1080p to play with transcoding but it looked really pixelated. When I set the option to direct play in the Android app on the Ouya I just couldn't get any playback, video or audio. I also tried upping the bitrate as high as it could go but didn't have any luck with that either. I'm wondering if we just need to wait for some hardware decoding or even missing codecs to be loaded to watch without transcoding.

No pixelation here.  Is your PMS maxing out your CPU?

#15 plexnolan

plexnolan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

I've got the latest client running on my Ouya and it is pretty good. The audio is a bit out of sync but part of that could be my server when transcoding (its very low power, well below the minimum specs - I kinda depend on direct play atm) but it does work, damn good for something that isn't supported.

A little work and it'll be perfect....

#16 Ozmo

Ozmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Has anyone tried a BT remote such as http://www.amazon.co...S/dp/B00B1K0U62 (no ref link) to control plex on the ouya?

Herp Derp.  Yeah, you!  Replying "+1" only clogs the thread with useless drivel. Learn to use the "Like" button.

Devs and Ninjas can more easily count the likes: http://forums.plexap...-1/#entry434282

Rules of the Forum as written by elan: http://forums.plexap...te/#entry290064

#17 jax sedrin

jax sedrin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thanks so much for the instructions! Exactly what I was looking for.

The iOS Plex app works flawlessly to control Plex.

That was going to be my next question! Excellent!

Also, just thought I'd add: there is already a utility in the Ouya store to boot directly into an installed application... might be something to try for those looking to use it primarily as a Plex client:
http://www.totalouya...1425-autopilot/

My Plex Server: OSX (Early 2009 24" iMac w/ a 4-bay Drobo attached via FW800)
My Plex Clients: OSX (Same iMac w/ 55" Vizio attached via DisplayPort->HDMI adapter as a second display + optical audio), Chromecast (plugged into Xbox One), iOS (iPhone 5S), DLNA (Xbox 360), Plex/Web

#18 Xentagz

Xentagz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hi Mate, you talk about "When I set the option to direct play in the Android app on the Ouya", but how can i acces the options for the plex app on the Ouya? :-)

Thanks in advance

#19 jrohland

jrohland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi Mate, you talk about "When I set the option to direct play in the Android app on the Ouya", but how can i acces the options for the plex app on the Ouya? :-)

Thanks in advance

When you're in plex hit the Ouya button between the D-pad and the right analog stick. That will open the menu and you can select settings from there.

#20 2weiX

2weiX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

I did get the server running on my pc, and the plex client on the ouya.

spent 3.99 for a month pass to try it out.

from the ouya, I can see the server and everything, I just can NOT play any videos.

subscribed to youtube and CNN channels - "No app that can perform this function" when trying to play the stream.

browse through my vids and series - "No app that can perform this function" when trying to play the stream.

tried all kinds of settings, no dices so far.

anyone else?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ouya, Kepler, Client, Android, Installation, sideloading, sideload, side load

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users