I just got my OUYA, and got Plex launched on it.
This might be obvious to some -- but I am a total n00b, so it wasn't obvious to me. Therefore, I am posting this in case there are others out there like me: somebody who wants complete step-by-step instructions on how to do it.
( Bought an OUYA specifically to run Plex. Signed up for PlexPass to get access to the app -- and of course, detailed instructions on how to install it. Whoops, no such luck.)
THIS POST ASSUMES YOU ARE A PLEXPASS USER.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF (PlexPass) PLEX MEDIA SERVER.
MANY THANKS TO THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO WHO HELPED:
Okay, so here's how to install the Plex [Android Kepler] client on OUYA, step by step:
1. On the OUYA, launch the web browser:
- Main Menu > "Make"
- Dismiss the dialog box that says, "This section is for developers to look at their in-progress builds" by pressing the "A" button
- Select "Software"
- Select "Browser"
2. Type in the URL [web address / link] of the Android Plex (Kepler) APK in the browser
- Question: How do you even change the URL?
- Answer: I don't know. I sat around pressing every button on the controller like an idiot, when I finally just connected a USB mouse to the OUYA.
- So just use a USB mouse to hover over the web address section;
- Question: What is the URL of the Android Plex (Kepler) APK?
- You can find it here: Plex Forums > General Discussions > Release Announcements > Plex for Android (Kepler)
- Scroll down to the latest post;
- Find the link next to "APK Here", it should look something like:
- Good luck typing that into your OUYA's web browser, it is a good way to drive your self crazy.
- So instead, I recommend going to Bitly.com / TinyURL.com.... or whatever URL shortener you prefer ... to get a shorter URL.
- By the way, Bitly URLs are case sensitive, so good luck with that, too.
3. Your OUYA will now download the Plex APK. (Don't blink... you will miss the message from the OUYA web browser that says, "Starting Download". It appeared seriously for maybe 50 milliseconds).
- After the APK downloads to your OUYA, the web browser will... do absolutely nothing and give no comfirmation or indication that it's been downloaded. Helpful.
- The Plex APK is only about 3MB big, so don't sit there for hours. It's probably already done by the time you read this sentence.
4. Go all the way back to the OUYA main menu. Select "Manage" > "System" > "Advanced".
5. Scroll down to "Device > Storage"
6. Select "Downloads".
- If you don't see Downloads, step #2 / #3 didn't happen.
- Click on the Plex Kepler APK file (kepler-vX.X.XX.apk)
- Select Install
- Now, to launch Plex, from the OUYA Main menu, you just have to select "Make" > "Software" > "Plex". (Which makes it wife unfriendly, so I have to go back to the Roku).
- Given that this is a PlexPass release, you obviously cannot use this unless you are a PlexPass member. So don't even try. (You have to login).