• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rph105

rph105

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

For my network I'm using an Airport Extreme, all wired (I hate wireless).

My PowerMac G5 is my main computer, all my external HDD's with all my media are connected to this computer.

My Mac Mini on the other hand is connected in the same room to my television.

How is the best way to set-up a network, I was using SMB before but my IP address changed for some reason and I don't want this to reoccur and for me to have to keep scanning every time this happens. I'm guessing most people on here are using Mac's, if anyone could help me set up a simple network with folders for my TV SHOWS, 720p MOVIES & 1080p MOVIES it would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

Thanks in advance

#2 shawnnn

shawnnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

Set a static IP to prevent it from changing.

Check out this forum:

http://forums.macrum...ad.php?t=317161

If you have two Macs you shouldn't need SMB.....?

#3 mkopel

mkopel

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:54 PM

couldn't you just turn on file sharing for the folders on the source computer. Mount those shares on the mini, and drag and drop those share icons into the login items. I have a nas, which is mounted via afp and it works in the same way.

#4 rph105

rph105

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

couldn't you just turn on file sharing for the folders on the source computer. Mount those shares on the mini, and drag and drop those share icons into the login items. I have a nas, which is mounted via afp and it works in the same way.

How do I mount the shares on the Mini?

#5 Ralph

Ralph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:11 AM

How do I mount the shares on the Mini?

Try this. Go to this web site: http://www.screencastsonline.com/

On the left hand side, click below "Free Tutorials", on TV or Mac. This will open the correct link in your iTunes. Find show number 201 "Mac Media Centre - Part 2..."

At the start of this video it shows how to setup apple drive shares in easy to follow steps!

#6 ppson

ppson

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

Best, quickest and easiest way is to turn on file sharing for the folders containing your media.

You do this by going to the Sharing pane in your Systems Preferences on your G5. Make sure to set up the permissions so that no unwanted visitors can connect and mess around in your computer (because you can also access the shared folders from internet).

When sharing is activated on your G5 it should appear in the side bar in any Finder window on your Mini. To mount the folders simply select them in the Finder (you might/should be asked to fill in user name and password the first time, choose save password in keychain to not have to do this in the future).

When folders are mounted on your Mini go into the Accounts pane in the System Preferences and click Login Items. Press the + and add the file shares containing your media. This way they will be automatically mounted every time you restart/log in to your computer (you still have to mount them manually if they got disconnected for some reason while your Mini is still running).

Once the shares are mounted you can treat them as local drives in Plex and just need to add them as a normal local source.

Hope this helped.

#7 jlossner

jlossner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

For my network I'm using an Airport Extreme, all wired (I hate wireless).

My PowerMac G5 is my main computer, all my external HDD's with all my media are connected to this computer.

My Mac Mini on the other hand is connected in the same room to my television.

How is the best way to set-up a network, I was using SMB before but my IP address changed for some reason and I don't want this to reoccur and for me to have to keep scanning every time this happens. I'm guessing most people on here are using Mac's, if anyone could help me set up a simple network with folders for my TV SHOWS, 720p MOVIES & 1080p MOVIES it would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

Thanks in advance

First, please forgive me if my reply isn't completely relevant to the question at hand. Reading this I had to share how I set up my network at home, so far the network itself works great.

All my media files, (Video_TS folders with full movies) are stored on an Ubuntu BOX being used as my media server. The streaming works great, and I am streaming the full movie over a wired network, no lag or degenerate streaming. I can't take full credit for putting it together, I used the following link to put together my server.

http://www.kremalici...machine-volume/

The above link is an incredible reference for setting up a file server with Ubuntu. I used Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit Desktop, the most recent version, for my server. It allowed me to create a true media server for the MAC without spending thousands on the MAC desktop. Now I have a server that is scalable with the capacity of an immense amount of storage.

Basically follow the instructions above, and instead of setting up a directory for Time Machine, set up directories for your media files. If you need to add additional internal storage, that is pretty simple too. Simply add your harddrive, (with instructions found on Ubuntu forums) and set up a share for it using kremalicious's very simple instructions.

Once they are set up, your MAC will automatically discover the directories on your server and can be added as sources in your Video library in PLEX. I can then simply add additional iMacs or MacMinis to my home and connect them to the same server, allowing me to maintain only one library. You can even use it to store your audio files for iTunes.

#8 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

First, please forgive me if my reply isn't completely relevant to the question at hand. Reading this I had to share how I set up my network at home, so far the network itself works great.

All my media files, (Video_TS folders with full movies) are stored on an Ubuntu BOX being used as my media server. The streaming works great, and I am streaming the full movie over a wired network, no lag or degenerate streaming. I can't take full credit for putting it together, I used the following link to put together my server.

http://www.kremalici...machine-volume/

The above link is an incredible reference for setting up a file server with Ubuntu. I used Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit Desktop, the most recent version, for my server. It allowed me to create a true media server for the MAC without spending thousands on the MAC desktop. Now I have a server that is scalable with the capacity of an immense amount of storage.

Basically follow the instructions above, and instead of setting up a directory for Time Machine, set up directories for your media files. If you need to add additional internal storage, that is pretty simple too. Simply add your harddrive, (with instructions found on Ubuntu forums) and set up a share for it using kremalicious's very simple instructions.

Once they are set up, your MAC will automatically discover the directories on your server and can be added as sources in your Video library in PLEX. I can then simply add additional iMacs or MacMinis to my home and connect them to the same server, allowing me to maintain only one library. You can even use it to store your audio files for iTunes.

Interesting deal you are working on. How is it networked together? Gigabit?

I myself tried to do the same thing early in my Plex career but I could never get my Ubuntu box to stream correctly (I went by the same exact link you gave). On my 40mbs Blu Ray rips is would stutter, as if it wasn't enough. Do you experience that?

I ended up just turning my desktop into a hackintosh and serve my media though it. but it would be nice to have Ubuntu as a backup in case Snow Leopard messes up hackintoshing.

#9 ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

I don't normally use SMB sharing, but can SMB be directed to a Bonjour address, like MyMac.local instead of a specific IP? That might solve the issue of changing IP addresses.

#10 jlossner

jlossner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

Interesting deal you are working on. How is it networked together? Gigabit?

I myself tried to do the same thing early in my Plex career but I could never get my Ubuntu box to stream correctly (I went by the same exact link you gave). On my 40mbs Blu Ray rips is would stutter, as if it wasn't enough. Do you experience that?

I ended up just turning my desktop into a hackintosh and serve my media though it. but it would be nice to have Ubuntu as a backup in case Snow Leopard messes up hackintoshing.

Excuse my ignorance on networking, I had a wired network but do not know if it was Gigabit. I used Category 5 cable, I believe that is 10/100 MBS??? Also I do not have any BLUE-RAY or HD movies on my server so I really could not tell you what high definition movies would be like.

However, streaming my DVDs I experienced no streaming issues, quality was outstanding. I stored my DVD images in VIDEO-TS folders, (typically 7GB per DVD on average), so the file size was quite large.

#11 ppson

ppson

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hmm, I use a WD MyBook Studio 2TB disk hooked up via USB to an Apple Airport Extreme base station, which in turn is connected via gigabit ethernet to my Mini. No problems running 1080p .mkvs. I don't have any full Blu-Ray rips so I don't know how those would work. But I do get over 10 MB/sec throughput which is around 80 Mbit/sec so it should probably be ok (I don't know how high the bitrate can go on Blu-Rays).

It's not the most versatile solution, but it's a cheap (and VERY easy) one if you want to share your media between several Macs. It can simply be expanded with more discs (although you need to buy a self powered USB hub for additional disks). As a bonus you get one of the best and most easily configured wireless routers out there (not the fastest maybe, but it works flawlessly and the new one even has dual band so you can run both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz in paralel).

Although I haven't tried it yet, there shouldn't be any problems streaming wirelessly either as long as you use 802.11n networking (especially over 5 Ghz).

#12 cracker23

cracker23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:43 AM

Hmm, I use a WD MyBook Studio 2TB disk hooked up via USB to an Apple Airport Extreme base station, which in turn is connected via gigabit ethernet to my Mini. No problems running 1080p .mkvs. I don't have any full Blu-Ray rips so I don't know how those would work. But I do get over 10 MB/sec throughput which is around 80 Mbit/sec so it should probably be ok (I don't know how high the bitrate can go on Blu-Rays).

It's not the most versatile solution, but it's a cheap (and VERY easy) one if you want to share your media between several Macs. It can simply be expanded with more discs (although you need to buy a self powered USB hub for additional disks). As a bonus you get one of the best and most easily configured wireless routers out there (not the fastest maybe, but it works flawlessly and the new one even has dual band so you can run both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz in paralel).

Although I haven't tried it yet, there shouldn't be any problems streaming wirelessly either as long as you use 802.11n networking (especially over 5 Ghz).

do you have trouble sharing your iTunes library between computers? I have a similar setup with two macs networked with an Airport Extreme with an external HDD attached. I have iTunes on both macs pointed to the library on the ext. HDD. I have random troubles with plex not playing the library after I've opened it on another computer. I have to open and close iTunes on the plex computer or plex won't play the library.

thanks....

#13 ppson

ppson

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:22 AM

do you have trouble sharing your iTunes library between computers? I have a similar setup with two macs networked with an Airport Extreme with an external HDD attached. I have iTunes on both macs pointed to the library on the ext. HDD. I have random troubles with plex not playing the library after I've opened it on another computer. I have to open and close iTunes on the plex computer or plex won't play the library.

thanks....

I haven't tried sharing my itunes library yet. But I'm guessing that, since you are sharing the actual library files (which keeps track of all the songs and their info, and also things like you playlists and play count) and not only the music files them selves, when you have iTunes open on your other Mac it "locks" upp the library file making it impossible for Plex Media Server to read it. You can always try running PLex Media Server on your other computer as well. This way you would always have access to your music somehow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users