Photo

New Ubuntu 12.04 install and new Plex install - Web GUI doesn't work

Ubuntu GUI

Best Answer donnie.rose, 17 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

I got my PMS to work!  I want to thank all those that have offered help (Ziggimon, Zekesdad, Johndinsdale and Synaptik).

I solved my problem of installing PMS on a new Ubuntu 12.04 install.  Someone who has good linux command line knowledge should be able to fix their problems pretty easy.

Here are the things that had to happen to make my PMS install work:

1)  The plexmediaserver package uses the upstart service to get things going.   It also doesn't create all the directories with permissions needed to get things rolling.   

You should hardcode the /etc/default/plexmediaserver file variable. I have the line uncommented and hardcoded to the plex support directory:

# uncomment to set it to something else
PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support"

2)  The /usr/sbin/start_pms file should have the following line hardcoded:

export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support"

3)  Ensure that the /etc/passwd file contains a plex user with the /var/lib/plexmediaserver as a argument for the plex user

4)  Ensure that the /etc/group file contains a plex group and plex as a user in the group.

5)  Do a make directory for the /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library.  Change the owner (chown) and the group (chgrp) so that the directory belongs to the plex user and the plex group.

6)  Consult the /var/log/upstart/plexmediaserver log to make sure plex is able to create the directories it needs.  It will log the problem if it can't.

7)  If you want to use the Youtube channel with your own Youtube account, you must register the computer you are running the PMS server on with your Google account.  You will need a special (provided by Google) login for the Plex Youtube channel.  Your gmail login won't work.
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 donnie.rose

donnie.rose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

I had to do a new install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a new hard drive. I had no problems with the install, and all my other apps work fine.

On my previous hard drive I was running the Plex Media Server and everything was working fine.  Only change was the new hard drive and a fresh install with all software updates prior to installing Plex Media Server.

Did a new install of Plex Media Server (latest version on the Plex Web site) and the GUI doesn't work.  On Chrome I get the message:

"This webpage is not available Chromium's connection attempt to localhost was rejected. The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured."

"http://localhost:32400" in the address bar.

I have started the plexmediaserver service and it appears to have started, but still I don't have GUI working.

Any ideas?

I appreciate the help.

#2 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

HACK THE PLANET!

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1939 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

Two ideas

1: Firewall
2: What happens on: http://localhost:32400/web

/Mark
Get you Plex guides here: Naming Guide, NAS Guide, NTFS on Linux Guide, Linux Permissions Guide, Logs & Library Maintenance Help, Plex Help Page.

My Plex world:
Primary PMS: NAS - 24 bay Inter-Tech 4324L, Xeon E3-1230v2, SuperMicro X9SCM-F, 60GB Vertex SSD, 7x1.5TB SATA Drives
Channel PMS/HTPC/EyeTV: Mid 2011 Mac Mini 4GB RAM 60GB Vertex SSD, 50" Kuro
Clients: Hackintosh - Xeon E3-1275v2, 27" CinemaDisplay, 2010 15" MBP, ATV2, Roku3, iPhone 3gs 32GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 3 16GB

#3 Zekesdad

Zekesdad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:52 AM

this happened to me when i reinstalled the server.  make sure you set the install path to plex:plex 

#4 donnie.rose

donnie.rose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

/Mark,

The same thing as before happened when I tried:  http://localhost:32400/web

I have some more info to add.  I got the plexmediaserver to start by drilling down in the /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/ directory and executing the start.sh script found there (from a console).

As long as I let it run in the console I was able to set up my media library.  I had to ctl-c out of the console which then caused the localhost:32400 link to quit working.

I don't know the init sequence to make sure plex starts correctly, so I don't know how to fix the problem.

Thanks for your help,

Donnie

#5 joshdinsdale

joshdinsdale

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Do you have the init scripts in /etc/init.d ? That the proper place to start the services. :)

#6 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

HACK THE PLANET!

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1939 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

/Mark,

The same thing as before happened when I tried:  http://localhost:32400/web

I have some more info to add.  I got the plexmediaserver to start by drilling down in the /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/ directory and executing the start.sh script found there (from a console).

As long as I let it run in the console I was able to set up my media library.  I had to ctl-c out of the console which then caused the localhost:32400 link to quit working.

I don't know the init sequence to make sure plex starts correctly, so I don't know how to fix the problem.

Thanks for your help,

Donnie

As zekesdad said. What are permissions of /var/lib/plexmediaserver/* and /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/*

And what user are you using start.sh as?

/Mark

Get you Plex guides here: Naming Guide, NAS Guide, NTFS on Linux Guide, Linux Permissions Guide, Logs & Library Maintenance Help, Plex Help Page.

My Plex world:
Primary PMS: NAS - 24 bay Inter-Tech 4324L, Xeon E3-1230v2, SuperMicro X9SCM-F, 60GB Vertex SSD, 7x1.5TB SATA Drives
Channel PMS/HTPC/EyeTV: Mid 2011 Mac Mini 4GB RAM 60GB Vertex SSD, 50" Kuro
Clients: Hackintosh - Xeon E3-1275v2, 27" CinemaDisplay, 2010 15" MBP, ATV2, Roku3, iPhone 3gs 32GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 3 16GB

#7 donnie.rose

donnie.rose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

As zekesdad said. What are permissions of /var/lib/plexmediaserver/* and /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/*

And what user are you using start.sh as?

/Mark

Mark,

I did a manual install using apt-get install plexmediaserver so I didn't have any control over the install directory (in reference to zekesdad post above).  

I don't have a /var/lib/plexmediaserver directory.  The /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/*
directory is in /home/me/Library/Application\ SupportPlex\ Media\ Server/*

I can launch the start.sh (from my previous post) as root or user and I get the same result.  Also, I was able to import my movies into the library, but my Youtube channel works, but won't give me access to my own Youtube account.  I have thoroughly checked my login credentials I use with Youtube.

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate any insights you have.

v/r,

Donnie

#8 synaptik

synaptik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

Hi Donnie.

Make sure /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver exists. Once you've verified that you can start it by doing "/etc/init.d/plexmediaserver start".

Make sure it starts at boot with "update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults".

Open the required firewall port with "ufw allow 32400", this should get the webUI working.

It sounds like the apt-get install has put Plex in a non default location, you might want to consider uninstalling and reinstalling it with the .deb package supplied here. Hopefully then the Plex files will be in the expected location with the expected permissions.

#9 donnie.rose

donnie.rose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:32 PM   Best Answer

I got my PMS to work!  I want to thank all those that have offered help (Ziggimon, Zekesdad, Johndinsdale and Synaptik).

I solved my problem of installing PMS on a new Ubuntu 12.04 install.  Someone who has good linux command line knowledge should be able to fix their problems pretty easy.

Here are the things that had to happen to make my PMS install work:

1)  The plexmediaserver package uses the upstart service to get things going.   It also doesn't create all the directories with permissions needed to get things rolling.   

You should hardcode the /etc/default/plexmediaserver file variable. I have the line uncommented and hardcoded to the plex support directory:

# uncomment to set it to something else
PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support"

2)  The /usr/sbin/start_pms file should have the following line hardcoded:

export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support"

3)  Ensure that the /etc/passwd file contains a plex user with the /var/lib/plexmediaserver as a argument for the plex user

4)  Ensure that the /etc/group file contains a plex group and plex as a user in the group.

5)  Do a make directory for the /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library.  Change the owner (chown) and the group (chgrp) so that the directory belongs to the plex user and the plex group.

6)  Consult the /var/log/upstart/plexmediaserver log to make sure plex is able to create the directories it needs.  It will log the problem if it can't.

7)  If you want to use the Youtube channel with your own Youtube account, you must register the computer you are running the PMS server on with your Google account.  You will need a special (provided by Google) login for the Plex Youtube channel.  Your gmail login won't work.

#10 balisimo

balisimo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

hi everyone i need help, i just succesfully install pms bay manual in ubuntu 12.04server, when the first time i went to the plex gui it mention

A problem has been detected with a core component of Plex. Please visit the forums and provide your logs, as described here.
and the i skip the gui and got me to the library section, so i hit back button on my web, and came up normal welcome screen and then i finish the setting for welcome screen but when i try from my other computer my pms on ubuntu server doenst't show up on library can anyone help please.....almost frustated...aarrrghh%*&^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users