• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shouchins

shouchins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

I just tried to update Plex Media Server on my XP-SP3 machine. I keep getting the following Windows Installer error:

"This installation package cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service. You must install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service."

Now Plex Media Server will not run on this machine.

This installation of Windows is current on all updates.

#2 Code006

Code006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Look here (Sorry for this strange quote, it's made with iPad....)

http://forums.plexap...a-sp1/?p=409984

#3 CMMartin

CMMartin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

Your suggestion worked - thanks!

#4 TheBroox

TheBroox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

Thank you for the link it worked like a charm.

#5 FKrois@me.com

FKrois@me.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

worked for me - vote for sticky!

#6 bonyboy

bonyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Worked for me.

x86 Windows XP SP3

Thanks for the help!

all-fanart.jpg

#7 Carnal Mischief

Carnal Mischief

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

I had a similar problem on two Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 installs. The above suggestion helped but it then said it couldn't find 'pms-sdk.msi', which isn't actually in the installer package. Managed to figure out that it was trying to remove the 'bonjour' component. So, abort the current install, manually just remove the bonjour component via add remove progs and start the install again from scratch. Part way through it will say it needs to install 'bonjour' in order to proceed, say yes and the install will complete fully. Both my servers updated now and running fine.

Extra note: If your still having problems with the install saying it cannot access a component of 'pms-sdk.msi', it's because when you run the install, it unpacks 6 files, one of those files is called 'pms.msi', within that msi is the file you need 'pms-sdk.msi'. If you know how you can extract it manually before hand (long winded), then when the install stops with the error point it to the manually extracted file, click ok and the install will proceed cleanly.

It's taken me most of this morning to figure this out. so to save others the same aggro I've attached a rarred copy 'pms-sdk.rar' of the file 'pms-sdk.msi', the install is looking for. Attached File  pms-sdk.rar   1.52MB   76 downloads

I don't which to scare monger, but please ensure you have AntiVirus of some sort installed when downloading files.

Hope this helps somebody else out :D

#8 puekia

puekia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hola, tengo ese problema pero  si desinstalo bonjour y vuelvo a iniciar la instalación continua el problema.

Me he bajado el archivo que adjuntas pero al descomprimir me dice que está corrupto.

#9 puekia

puekia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

I had a similar problem on two Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 installs. The above suggestion helped but it then said it couldn't find 'pms-sdk.msi', which isn't actually in the installer package. Managed to figure out that it was trying to remove the 'bonjour' component. So, abort the current install, manually just remove the bonjour component via add remove progs and start the install again from scratch. Part way through it will say it needs to install 'bonjour' in order to proceed, say yes and the install will complete fully. Both my servers updated now and running fine.

Extra note: If your still having problems with the install saying it cannot access a component of 'pms-sdk.msi', it's because when you run the install, it unpacks 6 files, one of those files is called 'pms.msi', within that msi is the file you need 'pms-sdk.msi'. If you know how you can extract it manually before hand (long winded), then when the install stops with the error point it to the manually extracted file, click ok and the install will proceed cleanly.

It's taken me most of this morning to figure this out. so to save others the same aggro I've attached a rarred copy 'pms-sdk.rar' of the file 'pms-sdk.msi', the install is looking for. attachicon.gifpms-sdk.rar

I don't which to scare monger, but please ensure you have AntiVirus of some sort installed when downloading files.

Hope this helps somebody else out :D

Hola, tengo ese problema pero  si desinstalo bonjour y vuelvo a iniciar la instalación continua el problema.

Me he bajado el archivo que adjuntas pero al descomprimir me dice que está corrupto.

#10 Code006

Code006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

@Carnal Mischief:

I don't know, whether you speak spanish or not, but puekia says, that the archive "pms-sdk.rar" is corrupt. I've proofed that and the archive is okay.... strange.

@puekia:

el archivo se puede descomprimir. Lo he descomprimido con el programa 7z y no tuve ninguna falta. Tu problema esta resuelto o aun sigues con problemes?

Greetings / Saludos

Code006

#11 Carnal Mischief

Carnal Mischief

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

HI, I don't speak Spanish so 'http://translate.google.co.uk/' is very useful.

I actually emailed the file 'pms-sdk.msi' directly to him in rar format (possibly the compression program he is using is suspect), but he replied saying he was still having problems and was going to try something else.

Spanish:-

Hola, yo no hablo español, así que 'http://translate.google.co.uk/' es muy útil.

En realidad, yo envié un correo electrónico el archivo 'pms-sdk.msi' directamente a él en formato rar (posiblemente el programa de compresión que está utilizando es sospechoso), pero me contestó diciendo que todavía tenía problemas y que iba a intentar algo más.

Carnal MIschief :D 

#12 Code006

Code006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Google translator has done a good job:0)

#13 estefania 24

estefania 24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

buenas ayuda por favor con el plex media server windon xp profesional 2000 service pack3 bit32 me estoy volviendo loco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users