• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Grim107

Grim107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hey everyone, sorry if this is a stupid question or has been asked before, but I really can't seem to find an answer. I was under the impression that Plex/Web allowed users to view the contents of a PMS on another computer without a Plex client. Is that right? If so, can someone with Chrome OS do this? I have a friend with Chrome OS, and I shared my server with him, but every time he tries to play a movie, he gets a message that I'm not available. However, I'm able to stream my content to my Roku. What's going on?

#2 Balthazar2k4

Balthazar2k4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

I would be very curious as well. I have been thinking about getting a Chromebook, but Plex/Web not working could be a deal breaker.

#3 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Plex/Web won't work as an actual app on Chrome OS (yet). You should be able to access Plex/Web through the browser as you would normally though. Any issues with that probably are not limited to Chrome OS. Have you been able to access your content remotely from other devices?

#4 Grim107

Grim107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yes, I've been streaming to my Roku easily for a couple months now. This is the first time I've shared a server with someone, though. Do you have any suggestions?

#5 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Is your Roku on the same network as your media server? I'd assume it is, but maybe not. I'm asking if you've been able to access your media server from outside of your network.

#6 Grim107

Grim107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

Yeah, it's on the same network. I just tried accessing my server on another computer, and I'm having the same issue. I log in to MyPlex, click on "Servers," choose my server, and then I see it says "Unavailable."

#7 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

Do you see two green checkmarks if you go to Settings > Plex Media Server > myPlex in Plex/Web? If you sign in to my.plexapp.com, is your server listed as green (available)?

#8 Grim107

Grim107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

There's a red "x," and it tells me, "There was a problem connecting to your server."

#9 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

It sounds like some kind of network issue. Is UPnP enabled on your router? If it's not, have you forwarded a port to 32400?

#10 Grim107

Grim107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

UPnP was not enabled. I guess it was turned off when I installed DD-WRT on my router last week. I've enabled it and restarted my router, and even though it's appearing in the UPnP list, the server still won't connect.

#11 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Did you unpublish and republish your server after enabling UPnP?

#12 Grim107

Grim107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Sorry, how do I do that?

#13 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Mixing my terminology up, sorry. I assume you clicked Retry to attempt to connect your server after UPnP was enabled and it still says there was a problem? Have you tried manually specifying a port and making sure you have port forwarding set up on your router?

#14 Grim107

Grim107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, I hit Retry, but it's still not working. I'm in the port forwarding section of the router, but I don't really know what to do.

#15 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

http://wiki.plexapp....gure_the_Router

This explains how to do it pretty well. Of course each router is different so it might help to find port forwarding directions for your specific router as well.

#16 Grim107

Grim107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

I've done everything I can think of, and I still can't seem to connect. I'm going to open up a new thread about port forwarding with DD-WRT and see if anyone can assist me. Thanks for your help.

#17 Warden182

Warden182

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Plex/Web won't work as an actual app on Chrome OS (yet). You should be able to access Plex/Web through the browser as you would normally though. Any issues with that probably are not limited to Chrome OS. Have you been able to access your content remotely from other devices?

http://www.engadget....asus-chromebox/

Very intrigued by this Chromebox announcement.  Presumably it would work out of the box fine using plex/web through the browser.  But knowing nothing about Chrome OS, I assume there are "apps" as well where Plex could fit in to be a bit more remote control friendly.  Is this in the works?

#18 konolua

konolua

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

http://www.engadget....asus-chromebox/

Very intrigued by this Chromebox announcement.  Presumably it would work out of the box fine using plex/web through the browser.  But knowing nothing about Chrome OS, I assume there are "apps" as well where Plex could fit in to be a bit more remote control friendly.  Is this in the works?

I also would love to know if there are plans to have Plex Media Server run on Chrome OS? I would love to get rid of the reliance on my MacMini to host Plex. Any info here?

#19 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8640 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:10 AM

I also would love to know if there are plans to have Plex Media Server run on Chrome OS? I would love to get rid of the reliance on my MacMini to host Plex. Any info here?

No immediate plans for Plex Media Server on Chrome OS, sorry. That OS isn't really designed for "server" type applications.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#20 hitschaer

hitschaer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Hi Chris

I've moved to a Chromebook a few days ago and have been using the Plex web player and casting to Chromecast. That works great and it really shows how perfect Chrome OS can be for 'simple' streaming. Unfortunately the Plex Chrome app lacks those features and is way behind the other players.

Are there any plans to rework the packaged app? I would also love to see a feature, where we can download media in a specific format, such as mp4, and set the quality. That would allow Chromebook owners to download an episode or a film to the local folder and allow for later watching on a plane etc. An offline function for the app itself would of course be even greater.

Are there any plans in the works?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users