• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 thelambentonion

thelambentonion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

First of all, I want thank everyone who has contributed to this port. I've been wanting to make an all-in-one FreeNAS server for quite some time and now it's possible.

I'm running a test server with FreeNAS 9.1.0 Beta on it, and the Plex port builds within a jail and runs Plex/Web just fine; however for some reason I can't get the Agents to start up, so it won't find/tag any of my content. Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: Actually, it won't even let me go through the initial startup wizard or manually add folders to other section (though it will stream content from my Linux server just fine).

#2 maineac

maineac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

First of all, I want thank everyone who has contributed to this port. I've been wanting to make an all-in-one FreeNAS server for quite some time and now it's possible.

I'm running a test server with FreeNAS 9.1.0 Beta on it, and the Plex port builds within a jail and runs Plex/Web just fine; however for some reason I can't get the Agents to start up, so it won't find/tag any of my content. Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: Actually, it won't even let me go through the initial startup wizard or manually add folders to other section (though it will stream content from my Linux server just fine).

Try changing ownership to all of the plex server related files and directories to plex:plex . . . might need to restart the service after that as well

I've been running production on a tiny (61M) custom FreeBSD install for a couple weeks now, and over all it's performing wonderfully . . . noticeably more responsive than my previous Ubuntu setup  :)

#3 thelambentonion

thelambentonion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Try changing ownership to all of the plex server related files and directories to plex:plex . . . might need to restart the service after that as well

I've been running production on a tiny (61M) custom FreeBSD install for a couple weeks now, and over all it's performing wonderfully . . . noticeably more responsive than my previous Ubuntu setup  :)

I tried that last night, but when I booted the server this morning the service refused to start (stating that the PID was already running, though it wouldn't show up in 'top' or 'ps'). Wiped the jail, and re-installed plex, chown'd all of the relevant directories ('/usr/local/share/plexmediaserver' and '/usr/local/lib/plexdata' right?), and started the service with 'onestart' intead of adding it to 'rc.conf' so it wouldn't try to auto-start and recreate whatever problem I'd gotten myself into.

Unfortunately it's still hanging on "Please wait a moment while Plex starts" and refusing to let me add folders to my library. The only additional package I have installed is 'nano' because I can't navigate 'vi' to save my life. I'm still pretty new to FreeBSD, and I AM using a Beta of FreeNAS, so if no one else has encountered this problem I guess I'll try throwing Plex onto a vanilla FreeBSD VM and see where that takes me.

#4 maineac

maineac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

I tried that last night, but when I booted the server this morning the service refused to start (stating that the PID was already running, though it wouldn't show up in 'top' or 'ps'). Wiped the jail, and re-installed plex, chown'd all of the relevant directories ('/usr/local/share/plexmediaserver' and '/usr/local/lib/plexdata' right?), and started the service with 'onestart' intead of adding it to 'rc.conf' so it wouldn't try to auto-start and recreate whatever problem I'd gotten myself into.

Unfortunately it's still hanging on "Please wait a moment while Plex starts" and refusing to let me add folders to my library. The only additional package I have installed is 'nano' because I can't navigate 'vi' to save my life. I'm still pretty new to FreeBSD, and I AM using a Beta of FreeNAS, so if no one else has encountered this problem I guess I'll try throwing Plex onto a vanilla FreeBSD VM and see where that takes me.

I haven't tried running Plex on FreeNAS or NAS4Free, but from what I've read it looks like FreeNAS is problematic at best . . . if you really want a NAS that has everything (including the kitchen sink), you might want to take a look NAS4Free.  It's already built on the 9.1-Release and also supports jails,  There are some instructions here on how to do so:

http://wiki.nas4free...ion:howto:jails

If you are a FreeBSD novice, then maybe you should try starting out with a minimal install of FreeBSD until you get better acquainted.  Plex doesn't require much of anything high level to operate under FreeBSD - pretty much just hardware and I/O abstraction, memory to access and CPU cycles to consume.  That's why I've been able to run in on top of only 61M of OS.  I could probably go even smaller, as I have had it running on a little as 46M in a virtual machine, but wanted to stick with a more 'generic' kernel with my first 'production' attempt.

It all looks rather complicated when first starting out, but if you stick with it you can do it.  It isn't rocket surgery, but you've got to educate yourself a little.  It's worth the effort.

Good luck!

#5 thelambentonion

thelambentonion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

I haven't tried running Plex on FreeNAS or NAS4Free, but from what I've read it looks like FreeNAS is problematic at best . . . if you really want a NAS that has everything (including the kitchen sink), you might want to take a look NAS4Free.  It's already built on the 9.1-Release and also supports jails,  There are some instructions here on how to do so:

http://wiki.nas4free...ion:howto:jails

If you are a FreeBSD novice, then maybe you should try starting out with a minimal install of FreeBSD until you get better acquainted.  Plex doesn't require much of anything high level to operate under FreeBSD - pretty much just hardware and I/O abstraction, memory to access and CPU cycles to consume.  That's why I've been able to run in on top of only 61M of OS.  I could probably go even smaller, as I have had it running on a little as 46M in a virtual machine, but wanted to stick with a more 'generic' kernel with my first 'production' attempt.

It all looks rather complicated when first starting out, but if you stick with it you can do it.  It isn't rocket surgery, but you've got to educate yourself a little.  It's worth the effort.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I admit, I have some bias towards FreeNAS over NAS4Free, especially now that they've moved to more recent FreeBSD kernels, so I'll try to make it work with that as much as I can.

Meanwhile, I guess it's time to play around with a FreeBSD VM to try and nail down this error.

EDIT: In case anyone's interested, it works just fine in a Vanilla FreeBSD 9.1 VM. I'm going to upgrade my FreeNAS server to the latest 9.1 RC and see if that helps at all.

#6 tanahara

tanahara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

I am having a problem with getting plex in the jail on freenas 9.1

When I make the file using KalleDK's instructions I get

[root@freenas] ~/plexmediaserver_port-1.4# make WITH_USER=YES install
===>  Installing for plexmediaserver-0.9.7.23.0
You already have a group "plex", so I will use it.
pw: WARNING: home `/usr/local/lib/plexdata' does not exist
You already have a user "plex", so I will use it.
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if multimedia/plexmediaserver_port-1.4 already installed
(cd /root/plexmediaserver_port-1.4/work/PlexMediaServer-0.9.7.23.0-8e6b2a8 && /bin/sh -c '(/usr/bin/find -d $0 $2 | /usr/bin/cpio -dumpl $1 >/dev/null  2>&1) &&  /usr/sbin/chown -R root:wheel $1 &&  /usr/bin/find -d $0 $2 -type d -exec chmod 755 $1/{} \; &&  /usr/bin/find -d $0 $2 -type f -exec chmod 444 $1/{} \;' -- Resources /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver)
install  -s -o root -g wheel -m 555 /root/plexmediaserver_port-1.4/work/PlexMediaServer-0.9.7.23.0-8e6b2a8/Plex\ DLNA\ Server /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver
install: exec(strip): No such file or directory
install: wait: No such file or directory
*** [do-install] Error code 70

Stop in /root/plexmediaserver_port-1.4.

Not quite sure whats causing this.

#7 tanahara

tanahara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

Ignore my post, somehow the freenas 9.1 I downloaded was all types of screwed up and corrupted. Re installed everything and chugging away properly now.

#8 eastwood

eastwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

I'm a little stuck. I'm running FreeNAS 9.1 RC and have finally successfully installed PMS.

However I'm having the same issue as thelambentonion. I've given all my folders plex:plex permissions but for some reason I cannot add any Folders when setting up my library. One thing I have noticed is that it tries to scan for the Scanner and Agent but fails to do so.

I am relatively new to all of this, so any help would be appreciated. 

#9 tanahara

tanahara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

I have the server up and running but No agents are appearing, I have done the plugin delete restart server etc and still no agents, any ideas?

#10 maineac

maineac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have the server up and running but No agents are appearing, I have done the plugin delete restart server etc and still no agents, any ideas?

The agent plugins should be located at  /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins

Does this directory exist on your system, and do you have SCRIPTPATH set to /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver? 

#11 tanahara

tanahara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

I do not have the resources folder under my /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver though the script path is set correctly.

#12 maineac

maineac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

I do not have the resources folder under my /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver though the script path is set correctly.

That's interesting . . . Did you install from KalleDK's port or manually? You kinda need that folder for things to work . . . I guess you could always copy it over manually - and maker sure the permissions are set correctly.

#13 tanahara

tanahara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

I do have the resources for some reason I didnt see it, (derp). I renamed the framework and system bundle while having server stop and then restarting it and no agents still.

Edit: I then even deleted those 2 .bundles and they are just gone, the server has not replaced them.

Edit: I then unzipped the package of Plex and moved the framework and system .bundles to my resource folder and still no agents.

#14 tanahara

tanahara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

Having same problem as eastwood and thelambentonion.

#15 ut2k4master

ut2k4master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

EDIT: Posted from wrong account.

#16 thelambentonion

thelambentonion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

I feel like I opened up a can of works with this one; this thread specifically addresses KalleDK's (wonderful) FreeBSD port of Plex (which works flawlessly on the vanilla FreeBSD installs that I've tested). All issues specifically regarding Plex on FreeNAS are probably out of the scope of this thread. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I just feel bad populating this thread with unrelated compatibility issues.

EDIT: Posted from wrong account.

Sorry about this, I logged into my old account.

#17 maineac

maineac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have merged the related posts from the FreeBSD Port thread, as they are more relevant to FreeNAS specific issues than the port development being done by KalleDK. 

I hope I haven't confused everyone with this bit of housecleaning . . . and my wife says I'm not organized . . . hah!

I encourage everyone interested in FreeNAS to carry on the discussion here, and hopefully anyone new looking for FreeNAS specific information, will be able commiserate souls more easily.

#18 tanahara

tanahara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Deleted the jail and reinstalled plex and still cannot get agents to work or create a channel, I think something is natively wrong with the plugins.

#19 eastwood

eastwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

One thing I know that I don't know is in relation to the first post (ever) in the FreeBSD Plex room, which says : 

In order to run, just set LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately

Can someone shed some light on what this might entail? Could this have something to do with not being able to read those bundles? A human explanation of what the LD_LIBRARY is would be awesome too (for me if no one else...). I've looked around on the web, but I can't work out what it is exactly...

Oh and for future reference I installed from KalleDK's wonderful port - which is wonderful. Thanks for all your awesome work KalleDK!

#20 tanahara

tanahara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

I agree with eastwood, I also installed from KalleDK's port and it is awesome, thank you KalleDK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users