335 replies to this topic

#1 astrobyte

astrobyte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

POPULAR

Looks like chromecast would be a sweet extension of the keplar app!  Assuming this device is news to all, I look forward to seeing what it will take to implement.

Edit: link: https://play.google....s?id=chromecast

Also, it appears there's an sdk published today.

#2 Dr. Octagon

Dr. Octagon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

You beat me to it.

What's the ETA elan?  Been waiting for a device like this.  Although if you don't support it, it's useless to me.

#3 Nelsonfam

Nelsonfam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

If plex implements the ability to use chromecast, I'm dumping my cable tv.   I was going to buy 3 more roku boxes for the house to fit on the rest of the tvs over the next few months, but this can change the game much faster for me.  I'm looking forward to any news on this from the plex devs!

#4 doncisco1979

doncisco1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Doesn't just have to be android only. This can work across all mobile platforms since you're just queuing up a stream on the key, not streaming from the device. I would love to see this on all the mobile apps. Especially useful while traveling and in a hotel room. 

#5 eygraber

eygraber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

This would be an awesome addition to plex

#6 koukoum

koukoum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

OMG been waiting for something like this a long time.... can you make it possible ??

#7 djuniah

djuniah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yeah given the nature of how chromecast works (remote control and media being streamed from a remote location instead of the phone) it seems like it would be a good fit with plex.  I just ordered one, and would love to have plex work with it.

#8 kingargyle

kingargyle

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

The big question right now is what Codecs the chromecast supports.  I suspect at a minimum that H264, AAC and maybe MP3 are built in.   A lot of the content would probably need to be transcoded so I suspect the plex devs would need M3U8 streaming support on the device.

#9 timtlm

timtlm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

This is definitely a must for Plex!  Very convenient and cheap client.  I wonder what video and audio formats it will handle without transcoding.

Windows 8 x64 PMS / PHT         Nexus 5                                   Chromecast
Roku (1st Gen / XS)                     Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)          Samsung BD-EM59C 
Raspberry Pi                                 Kindle Fire (CM10.1)            LG 47LW5600

#10 hollisjamison

hollisjamison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

1 more for yes please. It covers 99% of my bases already, if you can add a Cast button the android app my rokus will be effectively trash. 

#11 doncisco1979

doncisco1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

According to the SDK they support some pretty basic stuff

All Google Cast devices at a minimum support the following media types:Video codecs: h.264, VP8
Audio decoding: HE-AAC, LC-AAC, CELT/OPUS, MP3Containers: MP4/CENC, WebM, MPEG-DASH, SmoothStreamingLevel 1 DRM support: Widevine, Playready

The SDK seems ridiculously straight forward and pretty much tailored for someone like the plex team to implement. 

#12 timtlm

timtlm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

According to the SDK they support some pretty basic stuff

All Google Cast devices at a minimum support the following media types:Video codecs: h.264, VP8
Audio decoding: HE-AAC, LC-AAC, CELT/OPUS, MP3Containers: MP4/CENC, WebM, MPEG-DASH, SmoothStreamingLevel 1 DRM support: Widevine, Playready

The SDK seems ridiculously straight forward and pretty much tailored for someone like the plex team to implement. 

Hopefully it can pass through multi-channel audio.  Otherwise, it will be a no go for many Plex users here.

Windows 8 x64 PMS / PHT         Nexus 5                                   Chromecast
Roku (1st Gen / XS)                     Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)          Samsung BD-EM59C 
Raspberry Pi                                 Kindle Fire (CM10.1)            LG 47LW5600

#13 Dr. Octagon

Dr. Octagon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

they said it supporst 1080p and 5.1

#14 kingargyle

kingargyle

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Here is the media container support:

https://developers.g...ted_media_types

It's pretty limited, so definitely will need transcoding support.

#15 Dr. Octagon

Dr. Octagon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

maybe someone who is savy can tell by looking at the SDK...can you stream the same content to multiple chromecasts at the same time?  This was not mentioned (or at least I didn't hear it).

#16 kingargyle

kingargyle

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

they said it supporst 1080p and 5.1

It doesn't support Dolby Digital or DTS, so it has to be support AAC 5.1.

#17 evanyoshino

evanyoshino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

If netflix can do it... I know Plex will.  I just ordered it in anticipation!

#18 mjh1202

mjh1202

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

I have one on order as well. This would make PLEX so very perfect for older systems :)

#19 upcboy

upcboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

If plex supports it... I think it would be the Ideal Plex Set top box.

#20 trunzoc

trunzoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Please make Plex work with this.  As someone earlier mentioned, I've been slowly acquiring Rokus for all the TVs in my house.  This seems like a much cheaper and smaller option!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users