• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#1 tek-monkey

tek-monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

I know its not a 'real' roku, but it certainly seems to be a rebadged LT.  Any news on us getting plex onto it?  For £9.99 delivered it'd make a great streaming box!

EDIT:  I guess a link would be useful - https://shop.nowtv.com/

#2 marcuspen

marcuspen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've just ordered one myself and it would be great if it could use Plex!

If not, hopefully someone comes up with a way to turn it back to the original Roku firmware!

#3 tek-monkey

tek-monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Official channels say not at present :(

They say you can watch sky, iplayer plus 'lots more', without any clue what 'lots more' actually entails!  Shame, I'd have got one for every TV!

#4 daverhodes

daverhodes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

I've ordered one to see what they do, i'm sure somebody will hack the Roku firmware on at some point

Mind you, the Roku is only £32 from Currys at the moment

#5 marcuspen

marcuspen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

I've ordered one to see what they do, i'm sure somebody will hack the Roku firmware on at some point

Mind you, the Roku is only £32 from Currys at the moment

Hopefully someone will hack it, but I'm not too sure how since it has no USB port or Ethernet port unless you can somehow gain access to root files via WiFi...

#6 xavk

xavk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

The following link suggests you can side load apps via a web interface:

http://www.mediafly....el-for-testing/

If this box has the interface then no hacking is required.  We just need the application zip file and off we go.  Would anyone from Plex care to comment on the likelihood of them assisting in this endevour?

#7 marcuspen

marcuspen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

The following link suggests you can side load apps via a web interface:

http://www.mediafly....el-for-testing/

If this box has the interface then no hacking is required.  We just need the application zip file and off we go.  Would anyone from Plex care to comment on the likelihood of them assisting in this endevour?

Interesting... Does the Now TV version have a browser though? Sounds too good to be true. I reckon Sky will have requested that only approved files from the app store can be downloaded to the device

#8 xavk

xavk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

the Now TV doesnt need a browser, just the testing mode described in the link (Home button x 3 Up x 2 Right, Left, Right, Left, Right Select to “enable” the developer mode).  The browser can live on any pc on the same lan to access the web interface.  Agree Sky will have locked down the app store just hoping this was left open.

#9 tek-monkey

tek-monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Sky would be mad not to really, why subsidise a device that gives you access to other paid streaming content?  But plex wouldn't be a direct competition, as we're only streaming our own stuff.

I'm also guessing no way to stream off your PC directly, which is a shame as I don't need yet another device on my TV just for one purpose.

#10 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3323 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

I honestly know nothing about this. And while they're not hiding the fact that it's a Roku, they're not exactly advertising it either. I don't see any info about getting arbitrary Roku channels onto it. When you get it I guess you'll have to see if you get:

1. An account on either the Roku site or a similar account on their site that lets you install channels by their code.

2. The channel store on the box.

3. See if remote codes still work, so that you can put the box into dev mode.

#11 tek-monkey

tek-monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

It mentions in the blurb that you wont need a plex account to get channels, so assume they'll just have a very cut down channel list for us to install.  Can't blame them, but such a shame as most of these devices will end up in a cupboard once people realise they can only use them for sky stuff really.

I've ordered anyway and had a despatch notification, I'll report back when I've tried it out.

#12 Lasikie

Lasikie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

the Now TV doesnt need a browser, just the testing mode described in the link (Home button x 3 Up x 2 Right, Left, Right, Left, Right Select to “enable” the developer mode).  The browser can live on any pc on the same lan to access the web interface.  Agree Sky will have locked down the app store just hoping this was left open.

press home button 5 times followed by fast-forward, play, rewind, play and then fast-forward again

This is confirmed working on the now tv box 

Source - http://thenextweb.co...-by-sky-review/

#13 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3323 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

I really don't know, but am definitely curious. That TNW article has screenshots that show the channel directory, but it also says not everything will be included without any elaboration. There's definitely no checkbox on our end to allow us to be listed in the Sky version of the directory. And there's some indication that we will be specifically excluded: http://community.now.../120026#U120026.

You're certainly welcome to install from source if dev mode works, but that's not a great experience. You're on your own for updates and can only have one dev channel installed at a time, among other things.

#14 xavk

xavk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:52 AM

I really don't know, but am definitely curious. That TNW article has screenshots that show the channel directory, but it also says not everything will be included without any elaboration. There's definitely no checkbox on our end to allow us to be listed in the Sky version of the directory. And there's some indication that we will be specifically excluded: http://community.now.../120026#U120026.

You're certainly welcome to install from source if dev mode works, but that's not a great experience. You're on your own for updates and can only have one dev channel installed at a time, among other things.

Thanks for the update.  Another source which suggests Sky dont want Plex on these boxes was a comment on HUKD (www.hotukdeals.com/deals/now-tv-box-10-inc-1615409?page=5#comments).  The original comment is now gone but someone quoted it so it survives:

NOWTV
Hello everyone! We love how excited you all are about our awesome NOW TV Box. You can find all the information you need about it on our website – you can click on Help or Community at the top of the page and head to the NOW TV Box sections in each.

To answer a couple of your recurring questions: Plex will not be available on the NOW TV Box, nor will Sky Go.

It's great news that dev mode seems to be in place and even with the limitations, getting a decent Plex hardware end point for £10 is awesome.  Could someone please post a suitablly compiled version of the client for testing with dev mode (or an idiots guide on how to do it)?  My box is in the post and could arrive today if Royal Mail pull their finger out.

#15 tek-monkey

tek-monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Is sky go the one where you can stream channels you already pay for?  If so excluding that seems like a bit of a kick in the teeth for current subscribers!  I guess this hardware is strictly for cornering the people who will pay for the odd day pass to sports when big events are on etc.  Shame, I love my Roku LTs and hate to see one sat there crippled.  At worst I guess I got a spare remote and PSU for one of my others!

#16 Marty

Marty

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

I've ordered one, for £10 it's stupid not to get just on the off chance we can re-flash them with stock firmware. I'd be more than happy to work with devs on trying to get Plex running :)

okqLidg.jpg

PMS:  Ubuntu 13.10 x64, Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3, AMD FX8320, 2x Crucial 4GB Ballistix DDR3-1866, Sapphire HD 5450 512MB, 1x 2TB WD Caviar Green SATA III (OS), 5x 3TB Toshiba SATA III (ZFS RaidZ), OCZ Fatal1ty 550w modular, Xenta 4U Rackmount case, 1x 120mm Fractal Design R2, 2x 60mm Fractal Design R2
Desktop Clients: 1x 13" MacBook Pro, 1x MacBook Air, 2x Roku 3
Mobile Clients: 1x iPhone 5S, 1x iPad Mini

Get unlimited free cloud storage from referrals + 5GB from being referred by me ->
 https://copy.com?r=VaYw4n

#17 xavk

xavk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Seems this can run plex as hoped in Dev Mode.  Copied from another forum:

The Now TV box has been found to still provide access to the Roku development mode. This allows you to sideload one developer version app to your device. Not all apps are made available in this way but Plex is!

How to install Plex onto your Now TV box

1) Enable dev mode on your box by pressing:
HOME 3 times
UP 2 times
RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT

(if this doesn't work then make sure you are not leaving long pauses between button presses)

2) Enable developer mode on the screen that comes up.

3) Download Plex client for Roku from https://github.com/d...public/Plex.zip

4) Open web browser on your computer and open http:// (example. http://192.168.1.100)

5) Click browse and navigate to the Plex.zip you downloaded

6) Click the install button

7) Run plex

Instructions taken from Plex FAQ and Roku forums.

Mine didnt arrive today so hopefully will on Monday when I will try to test and report back.

#18 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3323 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

3) Download Plex client for Roku from https://github.com/d...public/Plex.zip

FYI, GitHub discontinued their support for downloads, so that link is several versions out of date. There are instructions for building from source in the README at the GitHub repo.

#19 xavk

xavk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for the pointers.  One thing which leapt out at me was "Assuming you're in a unix-like environment".  can anyone provide instructions for those using Windows?

#20 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3323 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

You can also try following the instructions from this post. The main thing is copying manifest.template to manifest, the rest is basically just making a .zip file.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users