• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whetstone

whetstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

I've been using Plex through my Roku. Plex Media Server is installed on my desktop. I decided to purchase a Vizio Smart TV. It offers Netflix and a few other streaming services. Can I add Plex to the TV, or do I still need the Roku?

thks

#2 George Jolliffe

George Jolliffe

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

Two possible way this could work.

1. DLNA streaming to the TV from Plex (will probably work) but this is much worse than using a Roku.

2. If Plex have developed an app for that specific TV manufacturer (i doubt they have/will for Vizio).

Even if your TV supported option 2, i personally would still recommend the Roku.

#3 whetstone

whetstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the advice, George.

I guess this isn't the best place to ask, but what did you mean by "much worse" regarding DLNA? Not knowing anything about this, I googled DNLA Vizio and found a testimonial from someone who figured out how to do this and seems very pleased...

http://thebitplague....pc-to-vizio-tv/

Two possible way this could work....

#4 George Jolliffe

George Jolliffe

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the advice, George. I guess this isn't the best place to ask, but are there better options for serving media to my TV via WiFi?

Not IMO.

Plex Media Server (PMS) with a Roku is a great experience. Not to mention that once PMS is setup you can access your media using many different platforms.

e.g. - Web Browser, iOS/Android devices and OSX/Windows applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users