• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 renz

renz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:36 AM

My last router died and I replaced it only to find out that the IP address has changed. I tried to set up a static ip  with the old address, but it wouldn't work. Is there a way to change the movie servers IP address to match the address of the new routers static IP address? or any other suggestions that could get the two to match up? I'm running Windows 7 and Plex 0.9.8.4.

Thanks

Renz

#2 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6852 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

My last router died and I replaced it only to find out that the IP address has changed. I tried to set up a static ip  with the old address, but it wouldn't work. Is there a way to change the movie servers IP address to match the address of the new routers static IP address? or any other suggestions that could get the two to match up? I'm running Windows 7 and Plex 0.9.8.4.

Thanks

Renz

Has the subnet changed = some routers have 192.168.1.xxx others on 192.168.0.xxx

Anyway - it should be possible to switch IP.  Use DHCP supplied IP Address for PMS PC rather than static. So you know for sure the IP Address is on the right subnet. Once an IP Address is obtained by the PC from the router, go to start/run/cmd and type 

ipconfig   /all

Note down the MAC Address (Hardware Address) and IP Address.

Login to the router and go to LAN Setup for DHCP IP Reservation and reserve that IP Address for the MAC Address. So now you will always use this IP Address (like a static address but supplied by the router)

You can prove it is working by going to the PC and doing start/run/cmd and type

ipconfig  /renew

and check the new IP Address allocated. It should be the same as before

If you are intending to use myPlex and have remote access to the PMS then go to the router and setup the port forwarding - routing the external port number you choose to internal port 32400 for the IP Address of the PMS PC. You can use 32400 externally if you like - some clients only work with 32400

Now that the PC is fixed with a fixed IP Address from the router and port forwarding setup, you can amend any local clients that connect to PMS through an IP Address to use the new IP Address, eg Samsung Plex App if you are using it

Test access to the PMS from another pc on the same local network through http://<PMS Server IP Address>:32400/manage   eg http://192.168.0.10:32400/manage

and test from other devices

#3 convas

convas

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1041 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:55 AM

I am guessing you are actually  talking about your  new wan IP address, if so then if you have upnp active in your new router then when your PMS resigns into to myPlex it will update to your  new wan address.

If you do not have upnp active then you  will need to setup a manual  port forward in your  router and then sign into myplex.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Server, Router, IP address

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users