Photo

What is a good Plex Media client for old Windows XP SP3?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 antdude

antdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hello.

I just discovered Plex Media from my online friends. Web browsers work fine, but I prefer a client since my web browsers like to crash when I surf the web. What's a good one that can do fullscreen video overlays to my very old CRT TV (from January 1996!). Amazon Unbox, Windows Media Players (Classic too), VLC MP, DVB Viewers, etc. can do this. I have an old ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB of RAM; S-Video connection to a VCR and then to the TV).

Thank you in advance. :)

#2 George Jolliffe

George Jolliffe

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm not totally clear on what you're asking here but if you want a software client to run on your PC then Plex/Web (which you've tried) and Plex Media Center are the only 2 software solutions for Windows.

#3 antdude

antdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

I'm not totally clear on what you're asking here but if you want a software client to run on your PC then Plex/Web (which you've tried) and Plex Media Center are the only 2 software solutions for Windows.

I want to watch videos in software instead of my web browsers and onto my CRT TV fullscreen so I can still use my computer (multi-tasking).

#4 KojakWeb

KojakWeb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

I want to watch videos in software instead of my web browsers and onto my CRT TV fullscreen so I can still use my computer (multi-tasking).

As George mentioned you'll need Plex Media Center (http://www.plexapp.c...edia-center.php). I have the same setup as you, and you can setup Plex to run fullscreen on a specific display.

#5 antdude

antdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

As George mentioned you'll need Plex Media Center (http://www.plexapp.c...edia-center.php). I have the same setup as you, and you can setup Plex to run fullscreen on a specific display.

Maybe I missed it, but where is the login screen in PMC to connect to my contacts' servers like in the web browser version? I am just a client.

#6 KojakWeb

KojakWeb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

You can manually specify the server under Preference>Network. Click the Manually specify server radio button, and then enter the IP address in the "Address" field. However if you are running PMS and PMC on the same machine, you shouldn't have to bother with this.

#7 antdude

antdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

You can manually specify the server under Preference>Network. Click the Manually specify server radio button, and then enter the IP address in the "Address" field. However if you are running PMS and PMC on the same machine, you shouldn't have to bother with this.

Wait, I thought the client is supposed to be the same as the web site version. I like how the web site connects to all servers that I have been invited to.

#8 anddh

anddh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

You need to login with myplex on the desktop client and then all the media will appear in a menu called shared content or something like that
Posted Image

#9 antdude

antdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

You need to login with myplex on the desktop client and then all the media will appear in a menu called shared content or something like that

Oh, I found it. It was hidden in Systems. I was looking in Network. Heh.

#10 antdude

antdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

Is there a way to skip around in the streaming videos like I want to skip to the end or halfway? I can only do play fast, rewind, skip a few seconds, etc. I am using the mouse interface too. :(

More questions

1. How do I disable the music during navigations like with TV shows? I cannot seem to find the option for it.

2. How do I download videos?

#11 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6848 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Is there a way to skip around in the streaming videos like I want to skip to the end or halfway? I can only do play fast, rewind, skip a few seconds, etc. I am using the mouse interface too. :(

More questions

1. How do I disable the music during navigations like with TV shows? I cannot seem to find the option for it.

2. How do I download videos?

you ought to use different forum posts / topics for different questions / subject matter and i presume you are doing plex forums searches for the topics you have issues first? Best to use google search

#12 Gh05t

Gh05t

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

You can't download videos from shared servers

for all the other questions look in the settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users