Photo

Aeon Skin with all current fixes. (Help me test/fix)

• Please log in to reply
2311 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick214

Maverick214

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:50 AM

This is an OLD unsupported version of PlexAeon.

Find the new one HERE: https://forums.plex....ck214/?p=392794

For a list of the latest changes and updates check here: http://github.com/ma...commits/master/
To Install or update to the latest version see Method 1 below.

Attached File  MainPostSanta.jpg   683.31KB   821 downloads

Plexaeon is an alternative skin for Plex, based on the Aeon skin by djh. It is in active development, so if you have any bug reports or feature suggestions please post a note in this forum.
You can install it and test it out. It's easy, follow the instructions below at the start here section and you should be up and running Plexaeon soon! If you want to see what it looks like, scroll down to the bottom of this thread.

If you have already installed the Plexaeon skin and are updating: Before updating please backup any mods that you have made to the xml files, your CDArt in the media/backdrops/artist_fanart directory, and your ClearArt directory if you have added files there.
If this is the first time installing Plexaeon, or have not modded any files, then you do not have to worry about this.

START HERE

INSTALL METHOD 1: Automatic Download and Install (Recommended, Easy updates)

NOTE: The first time you run update it will take awhile to download the entire skin, after the first time it will only update the files that have changed, which only takes a couple seconds.

Plex Skin Installer/Update Script
Version 1.3.3 (January 7th, 2010)

From here: http://forums.plexap...573

This script will automatically download and install all current Plex skins, or if they are already installed, will update them all. This gives everyone an easy way to install and update the skins, even from WITHIN Plex.
You can use this installer script instead of running separate scripts to update each skin individually. It will also install any extras scripts needed by the skins (lyrics, subtitles etc...)

Big thanks to all the skin developers out there who helped me bring this together!

Currently supported skins:

PlexAeon
PlexAlaska
Aeon Slim for Plex
PlexXTV
Lithium
Ellipsis

INSTALLATION

1. Download the PlexSkinInstaller script above.
2. If you haven't done so already then download and install GIT from here: http://git-osx-insta...tel-leopard.dmg
3. Open Terminal (It's in Applications/Utilities, or use spotlight to find it)
4. Find the PlexSkinInstaller script you downloaded unzip and run it. TIP: The easiest way to do this is drag and drop it into the Terminal window, then press return to run it.
If you get "Permission denied" errors when running the script then run it with sudo in front of the command.

Wait for the script to finish, restart Plex and your ready to go.

If you don't want to do the extra steps below to update within Plex then you can just re-run this script whenever you want and it will update the skins with the changes only (Much faster)
Currently the script installs and updates all skins. This script is in testing, so if you find a problem let me know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTRA: UPDATE ALL SKINS FROM WITHIN PLEX

NOTE: You must have successfully run the above PlexSkinInstaller script at least once.

You can update the skins from within Plex by using a different automator script which is found within the PlexAeon skin Extras directory.
Here's how to set it up:

1. Go to App Store.
2. Click on Add Source (If you don't see ADD SOURCE then press the delete key, this may not work on all Skins right now but it works in PlexAeon)
3. Navigate to Home Folder, Library, Application Support, Plex, Skin, Plexaeon, Extras
4. Now you can select the update script, either PlexSkinUpdater or PlexSkinUpdaterGROWL(if you have Growl installed)

Now I added mine to favorites so it's easier to get to.
5. Highlight the script and press C to bring up the menu and "Add to Favorites"

Now whenever you want to update all the skins you can bring up favorites and click the PlexSkinUpdater, it will shut down Plex, update all skins and restart Plex.

Have fun and report any bugs in the forums!
Maverick214

INSTALL METHOD 2: Advanced (If you make your own mods and want to keep them)

1. Backup any files you have modded, and your CDArt in the media/backdrops/artist_fanart directory, and your ClearArt if you have it.
2. Install GIT from here: http://git-osx-insta...tel-leopard.dmg
3. Open Terminal and type the following:

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Plex/skin
rm -R Plexaeon
git clone git://github.com/maverick214/Plexaeon.git
4. Wait for the clone command to finish.

Whenever you want to update Plexaeon, backup your mods, cd to the Plexaeon skin directory in terminal and type:
git pull
This will pull only the changes, so if I haven't changed anything in your mod files they will still be there.

INSTALL METHOD 3: Install without using GIT program (Slower)

This method takes longer because you are downloading the entire skin each time instead of just the changes.
1. Download the latest release go to: http://github.com/ma...eon/tree/master. Click on the Download Source button, once downloaded unzip it and rename the directory to Plexaeon
2. Move the Plexaeon directory to ~/library/Application Support/Plex/Skin

Start Plex and go to preferences/appearance and change skin to Plexaeon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTRAS

Zeljko's OpenSubtitles_OSD:
Now installed by update script.
Attached File  OpenSubtitles_OSD.zip   238.99KB   894 downloads

CLEARART: For clearart to work the TV Show names must match exactly with the .png in the clearart directory. Check this directory, not all are in here or named correctly. You may have to do a little work on these.
Get more here: http://www.xbmcstuff.com
If you turn off clearart (set to poster) it will look for a .jpg with the show name in the Showart directory that you create in MEDIA. Showart is nothing special, you can use regular multiplex thumbs here.
Get from www.xbmcstuff.com or here: http://xbmc.org/foru...ght=show thumbs

1080P BACKDROPS: To set for Main Menu backdrops: http://xbmc.org/foru...ead.php?t=48697
and Power http://www.mediafire...itdii/power.zip

CONDITIONAL WEATHER BACKDROPS when on Weather in main menu picture changes to current conditions: http://www.mediafire...zjd/weather.zip
Copy the entire WEATHER backdrops folder to a place outside of the skin directory, ie: mine is in the same place as my custom backgrounds.
Go to Settings/customize/advanced/home and set Weather Backdrop by current conditions ON
Go to Settings/customize/backdrops and set your custom weather backdrop to Folder and point it to this Weather folder.

MOVIE INTRO (Cinema Mode) turn it on in settings/customise/advanced/views and set the path to your cinema folder, the script will pick a random video file from this folder and play it before the movie.
When you want to use it, bring up the movie information and click Cinema to play intro and movie (I will make a hot key to this later)
Download the intro trailers here: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/
This script will not currently play Apple movie trailers, just the file you specify. The XBMC script does not currently run under Plex.

MANUAL MEDIA FLAGS You have to do some work.
You have to manually put the images in the movie folder with the movie.
Use the following naming conventions:
Drop these images in the directory with the video file, all these images can be copied from /media/flags, just rename them following these guidelines.
audio.png -- Ie. Dolby Digital, mp3, AAC
audiochannels.png -- IE: 5.1, 2.0, symbol, shows up behind the audio.png
source.png -- IE: Bluray, HD-DVD, SDTV, HDTV, Divx, Xvid
aspect.png -- IE: 2.35:1 ratio, this show up if you turn Studio off in customization (Not available in low-list, clear-list yet)
resolution.png -- IE: 720p, 1080p, 480i
tvstudio.png -- IE: CBS, ABC, NBC, this is for TV Shows, drop it in the season folder, applies to all episodes of that season
It's a lot of work, but we don't know when the new library is coming, so it's up to you.
I used XBMC to determine what media flags my movies/tv shows should have.

NOTE: For the Button Context menu (ShutDown Menu) to pop up on the home screen go to Applications/Plex/Contents/Resources/Plex/keymaps

Now you have to decide which keymaps apply to you, Keyboard, Apple Remote etc...
Open that file and look for

<s>Plex.ActivateWindowWithFocus(Home,300,1)</s>
and change it to

<s>Plex.ActivateWindow(1111)</s>

Save the file.
Restart Plex and watch something.

SOUND CHECK (Surround sound check option) Set video in Advanced, Views menu
Here is a sample video, please post others if you find them
Watch: http://video.google....a...hl=en&emb=0
Download: http://uploaded.to/file/ou96kx

CDART mod is now enabled in the settings menu: see this post http://forums.plexap...&...ost&p=53975 It now acts like a real visualizer. Enable it and set your visualizer to NOW PLAYING instead of NONE

Credits
djh for original AEON theme
Hitcher for Aeon-Hitched where I port a lot of mods from.
Leeuw for Low List
Eumel for Clearlist & Vertical Menu
Reaven for ClearArt mod and CD Art Mod
Davibela for the great backdrops, see more here http://www.seemyartwork.com
Thanks to Patkhoo in the XBMC forums for the original install script.
Zeljko for OpenSubtitles_OSD
slover1011 for (Random play for Cinema Script)
My wife and kids for putting up with the long hours on this project.

FAQ about Plexaeon

What is Plexaeon?
Plexaeon is a modification of the original AEON skin for XBMC. The differences in the skin engine in XBMC and Plex caused some of the features of AEON not to work. Plexaeon has several fixes installed to make it more compatible with Plex. You may have downloaded the original Aeon only to find many graphic problems. It all started with a couple of small patches and then I got carried away...

Who made AEON, Plexaeon?
Aeon was originally made by DJH. But Plexaeon is also based heavily off of Hitchers (http://www.xbmc.org/...ighlight=unlock) fork of the skin.
Plexaeon is a modification of AEON and Hitcher's mod's made to work with Plex by me.

I found a bug! how do I report it?
You can report it in this thread, this is a work in progress and I'm constantly adding features and fixing bugs. I read all messages and fix what I can, or have time for. Or, sometimes I just forget. smile.gif

What does the Plexaeon skin look like?
Have a look at the screen shots below. This is Plexaeon running on Plex.

How is this possible?
Because of all the help from the great guys in the Plex Forums! (and thanks to an understanding wife and kids for putting up with it!) biggrin.gif

Screenshots:
Attached File  CDART.jpg   368.41KB   592 downloads
Attached File  CDART2.jpg   419.3KB   231 downloads
Attached File  SubTitles.jpg   434.57KB   288 downloads
Attached File  Wall.jpg   918KB   385 downloads
Attached File  Showcase.jpg   859.99KB   335 downloads
Attached File  ClearList.jpg   567.99KB   229 downloads
Attached File  DVDLowList.jpg   510.42KB   254 downloads

Attached Files

#2 Reddragon220

Reddragon220

Skinning God

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:27 AM

Sounds like great work but I'm only seeing two textures.xpr files in that mediafire link...

Edit @ 11:34PM
refreshed and djh-aeon.zip is up

#3 Maverick214

Maverick214

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:25 AM

Sounds like great work but I'm only seeing two textures.xpr files in that mediafire link...

Edit @ 11:34PM
refreshed and djh-aeon.zip is up

Thanks! I had the wrong link posted. Edited now.

#4 Maverick214

Maverick214

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:49 AM

Just noticed that you can get the Watched checkmark overlay back for Mulitplex TV Shows by turning on the following:

Settings-- Customize-- Advanced -- Use Legacy "Dark" Mulitplex.

Seems the new backgrounds are overlaying the overlay... not much of an overlay then, is it?

Edit: this has been fixed.

#5 marklight

marklight

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

When I add backdrop folders for sections such as Movies... the images scroll through extremely fast in the main menu. Like a slideshow on crack. The background images also don't show up in the actual sections. So when browsing movies, there's just a black background. Also, the star ratings, and runtime overlay the tag data in my setup. Also, I noticed that there aren't any submenus so I'm wondering if this was a result of the version you were using? Thanks for working on this.

#6 bigbadrabbit

bigbadrabbit

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

When I add backdrop folders for sections such as Movies... the images scroll through extremely fast in the main menu. Like a slideshow on crack. The background images also don't show up in the actual sections. So when browsing movies, there's just a black background. Also, the star ratings, and runtime overlay the tag data in my setup. Also, I noticed that there aren't any submenus so I'm wondering if this was a result of the version you were using? Thanks for working on this.

Having the exact same problems...

#7 Maverick214

Maverick214

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for testing guys!

Ya, I'm trying to troubleshoot this background problem on the main menu. I have Plex running on two computers, one it scrolls through them fast and the other it works perfect.

As for the fanart in the actual sections, do you mean showcase view? Make sure fanart is turned on. If you mean Multiplex, then you have to add the extra movie art, there is a link in XBMC forums I can find.

For the star ratings make sure you have Default Icons for Media Flags set to OFF.

I plan to look at the submenu after I figure out this background on main menu problem, I'm not sure what's different on my two setups.

Every fix gets us a little closer.

#8 marklight

marklight

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

when i set the media flags to off, the star ratings go away as well.

im not getting any background images in any sections. for instance. if i set a background folder for movies, it shows the images on the main menu (they change really fast as already mentioned) but the background images do not show up in the movies section. this is with fanart turned off or on.

#9 Maverick214

Maverick214

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

when i set the media flags to off, the star ratings go away as well.

im not getting any background images in any sections. for instance. if i set a background folder for movies, it shows the images on the main menu (they change really fast as already mentioned) but the background images do not show up in the movies section. this is with fanart turned off or on.

Not the Media Flags, the "Default Icons for media flags".

#10 marklight

marklight

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

Not the Media Flags, the "Default Icons for media flags".

gotcha, yea that makes it work.

#11 Maverick214

Maverick214

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:23 AM

New patches tonight folks.

Three files, as always backup your old ones and swap these ones.

Fixes:

-- Custom backgrounds cycle too fast (Quote: Like on crack) After applying the patched files go to Settings and add your custom folders again. If you don't do this it won't work.

-- Fixed custom background preview in settings, you can now see the previews!

-- Fixed Sub Menu not working in Main Menu. Press down in main menu for Sub Menu.

TO INSTALL: Unzip to a directory and place the three files in 720p directory, overwriting the old ones, because you backed them up, right?

See the first post for the files. When I get a second I will put them in the main Aeon Zip and re-upload.
Let me know how they work.

Have a good night!

#12 bigbadrabbit

bigbadrabbit

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

New patches tonight folks.

Three files, as always backup your old ones and swap these ones.

Fixes:

-- Custom backgrounds cycle too fast (Quote: Like on crack) After applying the patched files go to Settings and add your custom folders again. If you don't do this it won't work.

-- Fixed custom background preview in settings, you can now see the previews!

-- Fixed Sub Menu not working in Main Menu. Press down in main menu for Sub Menu.

TO INSTALL: Unzip to a directory and place the three files in 720p directory, overwriting the old ones, because you backed them up, right?

See the first post for the files. When I get a second I will put them in the main Aeon Zip and re-upload.
Let me know how they work.

Have a good night!

Thanks for your work!! :)
I'll try that tonight.

#13 fsartono

fsartono

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

Thanks for your work!! :)
I'll try that tonight.

I tried this, including the July 12th fix.
So far everything looks and works great.
However, I notice that sometimes, when exiting from the Movie submenu I am presented with a list menu of:

Movie Genre
Movie Studio
Etc.
Etc.

Btw, what is Dark Multiplex Legacy mode?

#14 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:30 AM

Keep us updated on this - would love a functional Aeon skin for Plex :D

#15 Maverick214

Maverick214

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:44 AM

June 14th update.

I've posted a workaround for the movie info problem to fix with the mpaa ratings and media flag mess.
Check the first post for the file.

Thanks to all for testing my fixes! :D

Here's a screenshot of what I did, I think it looks better.

Before:

After:

#16 Red Tape Media

Red Tape Media

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:54 AM

Watched overlays in the new multiplex do not work in XBMC either. The fix in XBMC is to edit Viewtype_Multiplex.xml

Lines 855 and 942 (based on an unmodified file obviously) change

<visible>false</visible>

to

<visible>true</visible>

#17 Maverick214

Maverick214

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:09 AM

Watched overlays in the new multiplex do not work in XBMC either. The fix in XBMC is to edit Viewtype_Multiplex.xml

Lines 855 and 942 (based on an unmodified file obviously) change

<visible>false</visible>

to

<visible>true</visible>

Perfect THANKS! :D

#18 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:52 AM

Just grabbed the zip archive to see what the deal with this is... I am amazed at how much better Aeon looks (in many ways) vs. the default skin. I am also impressed at the functionality. Granted, it's not perfect, but pretty damn close. Good job so far!

#19 slover1011

slover1011

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:52 AM

This is now quite usable and now my skin of choice (quite sexy!!!).

One annoyance (feature?) is that when I set an album (or pictures, or plug-in) to "List" mode when I go to the next album it is still in "Showcase" mode. Shouldn't all similar levels also go to the chosen view? If I have to switch every single album to "List" manually I might go nuts (though it'll look awesome in the end :-)

Thanks for this effort Maverick!

#20 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

I some how erased the view modes for the TV Shows, do you guys know why that would disappear?
EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out :) Wow, loving this skin. Maverick, fantastic job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users