Photo

When Apple updates Apple TV...

Best Answer markneal, 30 August 2013 - 02:19 AM

I went out and bought a micro USB connector today and followed http://langui.sh/201...sl-plexconnect/

Used a Mac with Apple Configurator Method for installing profile on two Apple TV 3's

Then I updated PlexConnect on my Windows 8 x64 system with the trailers.pem from the Mac as instructed

Only complication was the "certfile = ./assets/certificates/trailers.pem" needed changing to "certfile = C:\PlexConnect-master\assets\certificates\trailers.pem" to get the path right for Win 8

Note that the slashes point backwards for Win and forwards for Mac

Fantastic work by talented folk, thanks!

This thread is long enough now and I agree with Gh05t that it should split off for people struggling with particular combos

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
600 replies to this topic

#1 markneal

markneal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Should we hold back until someone gives the all clear here, that they haven't blocked PlexConnect?

An update was just announced:

http://www.cultofmac...disney-xd-more/

Thanks, couldn't see this topic, hope its not a dupe

Edit:

It appears that today's forced channel updates have broken our use of the 'Trailer' channel.

It was not a firmware update.

It may be related to fixes being done to the Trailer channel to make it work with current beta firmwares.

I hope PlexConnect can be tweaked to adapt to changes like this

Edit 2: http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1628099

Quote:

Latest Apple TV Update Breaks PlexConnect Client

Tuesday August 27, 2013 3:34 pm PDT by Jordan Golson
Today's Apple TV update breaks the PlexConnect client that allowed Plex -- the advanced server-client media player -- to run on non-jailbroken Apple TV devices.

Plex allows users to store movie and TV show files on a server and then view those files on a wide variety of client devices including Macs, PCs, a number of smart televisions, the Roku box and the Apple TV. The server also connects to Internet databases to pull IMDB-type metadata on media.

plexconnect.jpg
The client, called PlexConnect, used a hack to get video from the Plex Media Server onto the Apple TV. A small Python program on the Mac intercepted DNS requests from the Movie Trailers app on the Apple TV and instead returned a custom XML feed that delivered a list of media and movie streams to the device.

Now, however, Apple has closed the loophole. Previously, the Trailers app used regular HTTP requests and the PlexConnect app intercepted those requests. Now, the Trailers app uses HTTPS and it is likely impossible for the Plex programmers to overcome it.

Plex CTO Elan Feingold told MacRumors that the company was "saddened to hear that PlexConnect stopped working" and that "we can only hope that in the future Apple decides to release an SDK for the ATV". "The level of interest in the project was quite high."
End quote.

Edit 3: Some very clever people here, watching in awe. Thank you all

Quote:

Developer Posts Fix for PlexConnect Client for Apple TV
Wednesday August 28, 2013 5:17 am PDT by James Cull
After the latest update to Apple TV disabled the functionality of the popular PlexConnectplugin, which allows Plex to run on non-jailbroken devices, developer Paul Kehrer has posted a detailed tutorial on his personal blog providing instructions on how to fix the issue. 

P43A0965.jpg
The instructions, although somewhat technical, are fairly easy to follow. Users will require a copy of Apple Configurator (which is currently only available on OS X at the moment) and a micro-USB cable in order to connect their Apple TV to their Mac. 

The fix is only intended to be temporary, and it may be disabled in future Apple TV updates. Yesterday, Plex Chief Technology Officer Elan Feingold told MacRumors that the company was "saddened to hear that PlexConnect stopped working" and that "we can only hope that in the future Apple decides to release an SDK for the ATV", citing that interest in the project was "high".

Edited by markneal, 28 August 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#2 markuswarren

markuswarren

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Is it actually a new firmware, or is it just pushing out new channels, ala what they did last week with the iTunes Music Festival app / channel?

#3 markneal

markneal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'm on 5.3 (6105) and the VEVO icon has turned up but not the Disney Channel, Disney XD, the Weather Channel, or the Smithsonian

Don't think the update has installed automatically, but not sure on the version numbers

#4 markuswarren

markuswarren

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Where are you located? It could be down to geo-location, for example, the Hulu app only appears for US regions, so perhaps Disney XD is the same.

#5 markneal

markneal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Is it actually a new firmware, or is it just pushing out new channels, ala what they did last week with the iTunes Music Festival app / channel?

good question

I am getting "The update was not successful" when checking "Update Software"

Maybe PlexConnect blocks updates when plumbed through its DNS gateway to prevent auto update and blocking by Apple?

#6 markneal

markneal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Where are you located? It could be down to geo-location, for example, the Hulu app only appears for US regions, so perhaps Disney XD is the same.

I'm UK, so you make a good point

What's your "Apple TV Software" version

#7 markuswarren

markuswarren

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm not at home right now, so cannot check, but I'm on whatever the latest is / was. I will check later tonight and figure out what is happening. My guess is by that time we will know if they have changed anything in the trailers app.

#8 roidy

roidy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

It isn't a new firmware, apple just pushed out some new channels to the atv. In the US you get Disney, Disney XD, The Weather Channel, Smithsonian and vevo. In the UK you only get vevo the rest are geo-locked and wont appear.

#9 stoffez

stoffez

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

i Can confirm that i have both VEVO, and both Disney apps on my homescreen.. And the PlexConnect still works!!! i am on Unblock us in sweden :)

ps. they where pushed out i am still on version 5.3  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

sign4_zps594b36e8.jpg

https://github.com/stoffez/PlexConnect

******* Thanks to wahlman.j and Roidy for their help *******

#10 markuswarren

markuswarren

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

It isn't a new firmware, apple just pushed out some new channels to the atv. In the US you get Disney, Disney XD, The Weather Channel, Smithsonian and vevo. In the UK you only get vevo the rest are geo-locked and wont appear.

Thanks for the confirmation it's not new firmware, just a push of channels.

#11 Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

I am seeing Trailers Is Unavailable even when I just click on the ATV Trailers icon. Seen this happen over the past few weeks since updating so need to do some more digging

#12 robertz

robertz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I thought plexconnect was holding back updates?

#13 institute11

institute11

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Re: Disney channels. I am getting tired of all these apps being tied to having an existing cable account.

#14 Baa

Baa

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2729 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

I thought plexconnect was holding back updates?

iOS updates, yes.

But aTV still pulls in its main page content whenever connected to the internet.

Plex @ aTV - think different: PlexConnect

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

plex forums: [PlexConnect] -- github: [latest Sources], [Wiki] -- donations (paypal): [US-$][EUR]

#15 Christophorus

Christophorus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

I still find it amazing that companies focus so much on the US. Most of the channel additions are useless to anyone outside the US. Why sell a product if you're not going to add those features?

PlexConnect fixes a lot of the aTV problems.

#16 Nick

Nick

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I am not sure markneal's question was ever answered.  I have been "ignoring" the aTV update for months now in fear of breaking PlexConnect.  Is it always safe to update?

#17 Baa

Baa

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2729 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

>>Is it always safe to update?

No.

But even "not to update" might not be enough to keep it running...

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

plex forums: [PlexConnect] -- github: [latest Sources], [Wiki] -- donations (paypal): [US-$][EUR]

#18 Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

I downgraded back to 5.3 (from b4) and see trailers work when on its default settings (i.e. being able to watch trailers) but when I point this to the DNS of my mac mini running PlexConnect I just get the trailers unavailable. I have 2 x PMS on my LAN so even killed GDM and pathed it manually to 1 of them but still seeing this issue. Anyone else running into this trailer issue now even on 5.3 ?

#19 Baa

Baa

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2729 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yeah... me!?!

Just rebooted the aTV and now it doesn't seem to trigger PlexConnect's WebServer any more...

Not sure what else has changed, though.

#20 iamjustme

iamjustme

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

Game over, for now

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users