• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thawthorne

thawthorne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hello all...thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I just installed the PMS the other day, and have been unable to connect to the server.  I have the PMS installed on my desktop computer, which is connected to an ASUS RT-N66R router.  I've got an external hard drive connected to the router, with all my media saved on it.  The media center is all set up to find everything there, and as long as I'm on my wifi network, I can get to it, but its a no go from an external connection.

No matter what I do, I've been unable to get the server to connect.  I've done the port forwarding, trying to open up Port 32400.  I also set my computer up with a static IP, and turned off the firewall on both my computer and on my router.  No luck.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  For whatever its worth, I downloaded the PFPort Checker utility from portforward.com.  When I check the TCP Protocol, it tells me it cannot reach Port 32400 because it is in use by another application.  I don't know what the other application would be, besides Plex, and obviously its not getting through it.

Is the problem the external hard drive, or is that irrelevant and I've just screwed something else up?

Thanks.

#2 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14588 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hello all...thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I just installed the PMS the other day, and have been unable to connect to the server.  I have the PMS installed on my desktop computer, which is connected to an ASUS RT-N66R router.  I've got an external hard drive connected to the router, with all my media saved on it.  The media center is all set up to find everything there, and as long as I'm on my wifi network, I can get to it, but its a no go from an external connection.

No matter what I do, I've been unable to get the server to connect.  I've done the port forwarding, trying to open up Port 32400.  I also set my computer up with a static IP, and turned off the firewall on both my computer and on my router.  No luck.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  For whatever its worth, I downloaded the PFPort Checker utility from portforward.com.  When I check the TCP Protocol, it tells me it cannot reach Port 32400 because it is in use by another application.  I don't know what the other application would be, besides Plex, and obviously its not getting through it.

Is the problem the external hard drive, or is that irrelevant and I've just screwed something else up?

Thanks.

I presume the external HDD connection to the router is behaving like a NAS. Whether this is implicated - cannot tell. Only if the NAS software is using port 32400.

Could not find your router on portforward.com but this is the closest model number ASUS RT-N66U

The instructions page for Plex Media Server for this router is here

We normally use http://canyouseeme.org to check if a port is open externally

This document has been referenced in recent posts to help users with port forwarding and having static IP address for the PMS https://docs.google....g8_ugwMbvQ/edit

There are numerous posts on the myPlex forum on this topic and it is one area that most users have difficulties in getting it to work. The main thread in this forum on this topic is this one.  

I created a checklist recently here

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues      Plex Home Theater: Reporting Issues      Plex Web App: Debug Log      Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs

For list of 3rd party programs crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows and other recurring Plex issues see my profile

#3 thawthorne

thawthorne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's the same router. I think the N66R is just the retail version that you get at places like Best Buy. I had already followed the directions on the router link with no luck but the link you said many others have used looks helpful. I'm out of town for the weekend, but I'll make sure to check it out as soon as I get back and let you know if I'm able to get it running.

I'm not sure that I've ever fully understood the NAT thing, but what I can tell you is that the router settings are set to enable NAT. Also, my modem is not a modem /router combo, so as I understand it, I don't think I have a double NAT problem.

Also, something I didn't mention before that I don't think matters, but I have two routers bridged together on my network. The computer with the media server on it is hardwired to the primary router, and the HDD is connected by USB to the primary, so I don't think the secondary router comes into play here.

Thank you again for the response.

#4 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14588 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's the same router. I think the N66R is just the retail version that you get at places like Best Buy. I had already followed the directions on the router link with no luck but the link you said many others have used looks helpful. I'm out of town for the weekend, but I'll make sure to check it out as soon as I get back and let you know if I'm able to get it running.

I'm not sure that I've ever fully understood the NAT thing, but what I can tell you is that the router settings are set to enable NAT. Also, my modem is not a modem /router combo, so as I understand it, I don't think I have a double NAT problem.

Also, something I didn't mention before that I don't think matters, but I have two routers bridged together on my network. The computer with the media server on it is hardwired to the primary router, and the HDD is connected by USB to the primary, so I don't think the secondary router comes into play here.

Thank you again for the response.

Two routers is always a problem. You will need to check that setup very carefully and do some testing with one of the routers removed

Also I do not know how Router USB connected HDD's work. My only experience is with network connected HDD's (NAS) - so how does the router provide access to the HDD within the network? Another area to look into

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues      Plex Home Theater: Reporting Issues      Plex Web App: Debug Log      Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs

For list of 3rd party programs crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows and other recurring Plex issues see my profile