Photo

[Popular] Plex support for DS214play (Intel Evansport CE5335)

ce5335 intel evansport 214play synology ffmpeg transcoding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
827 replies to this topic

#1 wijmaar

wijmaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

POPULAR

Dear All,

Since yesterday I own a Synology DS14play, which supports hardware transcoding using the Intel Evansport CE5335 SOC. This is where the good stuff ends. Synology has removed the transcoding features from it's mediaserver due to licensing issues. 

The best solution to this would be to use a 3rd part package like Plex or XBMC, but as far as i'm concerned they do not support the Intel Evansport at the moment. To my understanding because FFMPEG is unable to leverage the capabilities of the Intel evansport. Synology's videostation is capable of using the Intel to transcode video, and i understand that they use FFMPEG to. Is it likely that Plex is going to support this? What could I do to help you guys?

Kind regards,

Jan

• eduo, Rassi, ciaoce and 73 others like this

#2 vincezz

vincezz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

Hey wijmaar, 

it is indeed an interesting device, with some nice possibilites which no word on plex soc transcoding support yet exists, also discussed right here: http://forums.plexap...d-plex-support/

SUPPORT THE SAMSUNG CLIENT:

If you like the Samsung Client, Please donate

If you like the Samsung Client, tell Samsung

#3 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

What could I do to help you guys?

Go work with the ffmpeg guys to get all the code written... :)

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#4 wijmaar

wijmaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

:D I would love to have the time... I asked synology to share their way of working with me / you, and also tried to contact FFMPEG. We'll see.

#5 Skar

Skar

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Okay, just a small question on this.

Synology have listed all the devices which have type 1 transcoding, e.g. Video, type 2 being audio.

http://www.synology...._id=577&lang=uk

With what looks like all the Atom based Synologies getting Type 1, including the DS214Play. Now my understanding was that the Atoms have always struggled with reliable transcoding, there were a huge number of factors involved.

So what have Synology done (Codec wise), which now makes them confident to say that the Synologies can transcode on the fly.

http://www.synology....nscoding_format

Because they are stating transcoding not streaming, which as we all know is a world of difference.

1 HPTC (WMC & MyMovies)
1 Samsung UE22ES5400 (Plex Client), 1 Samsung UE40F7000 (Plex Client)
1 Synology DS411+ Running PlexServer 0.9.11.7 & Plex on Samsung TV * 2, Plex on Samsung Galaxy Alpha and Plex on Open Hour Chamelon.
1 Synology DS2413+.

#6 beq

beq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Also discussed here: http://forums.plexap...r-transconding/

wijmaar, can you elaborate about Synology removing transcoding support from their built-in server?  I'm also interested in the DS214play, and am curious about the status of FFmpeg support as well...

#7 wijmaar

wijmaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

They decided to completely remove the transcoding functionality from their DLNA server due to licensing issues. The transcoding is supported by their own DS Video app, but this doesn't support DLNA (as far as i'm concerned). On the transcoding side, i have made some contact with someone from the FFMPEG mailinglist. He suggests: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU to handle hardware accelerated decoding.

#8 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

They decided to completely remove the transcoding functionality from their DLNA server due to licensing issues. The transcoding is supported by their own DS Video app, but this doesn't support DLNA (as far as i'm concerned). On the transcoding side, i have made some contact with someone from the FFMPEG mailinglist. He suggests: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU to handle hardware accelerated decoding.

VDPAU is not very useful for transcoding, and is already supported in Plex/HT.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#9 wijmaar

wijmaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

Plex is working on my ds214play now at least :)! Ended up editing the INFO file with 7-zip. Added evansport to the arch settings. Installed fine, and seems to be working. Will test some more and post my findings here!

• hotline likes this

#10 ThoseGuys

ThoseGuys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Plex is working on my ds214play now at least :)! Ended up editing the INFO file with 7-zip. Added evansport to the arch settings. Installed fine, and seems to be working. Will test some more and post my findings here!

First, congrats on your new play. Second, where did you buy it? I can't find it for sale in the US. Third, please share more on how you got plex working and if it is still working like you want. Thanks

#11 7Bit

7Bit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

Got my DS214play and I am loving it!

I also patched the INFO file in the .spk for Synology Intel NAS and added "evansport" to the list of supported architectures. Just open the spk file with 7-zip and go edit the file named "INFO". At the end of the file is a whitespace separated list of supported archs. After that (and saving, replacing the file in the spk package, but this happens automatically by 7-zip) you can install it via the package manager.

Until now, everything seems to work, except hardware transcoding support. Plex is awesome!! I really hope the hardware transcoding is soon supported...

• jpmcnally and rene.verspuij@gmail.com like this

#12 wijmaar

wijmaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Same goes for me! Superb application, running smooth and the subtitle search is awesome!

Somehow my 214play as a DLNA server manages to support more formats than my PS3 does natively, but when i add subtitles through DLNA the transcoding cannot keep up. When adding subtitles using the Plex app on my samsung smart TV however, everything works perfect!

@ThoseGuys, i'm from the Netherlands and the 214Play is widely available here. 

#13 mvnjpy

mvnjpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

Quick question: why did you guys pick the ds214play over the ds713+? Don't they both have x86 processors but the ds713+ is clocked higher? What does it have of more?

#14 ThoseGuys

ThoseGuys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:15 AM

Same goes for me! Superb application, running smooth and the subtitle search is awesome!

Somehow my 214play as a DLNA server manages to support more formats than my PS3 does natively, but when i add subtitles through DLNA the transcoding cannot keep up. When adding subtitles using the Plex app on my samsung smart TV however, everything works perfect!

Hey thanks for replying. In your guys experience is it likely that plex will support hardware transcoding? If so how long does it normally take for a new device to get support?

#15 kootstra

kootstra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

Could it be possible that the subtitles are natively suppported by Samsung and not the PS3? This would mean that for the Samsung it would not transcode the video and for the PS3 it would? It should be quite clear from the log files and processes if it does transcode.

#16 wijmaar

wijmaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Think that is the case indeed. Just got the following update from Synology, good news as far as i can see.

Hi Jan,

I just have feedback from our product team. It's confirmed that we use FFMPEG for video/audo transcoding on Evansport as well. CE5335 is a new platform. I guess FFMPEG will support it soon. Even it won't, we are going to release our FFMPEG GPL source code which can work on Evansport soon. I don't have the schedule, but it won't take too long. It's likely in one month.

But please keep it in mind that our source code doesn't support DTS feature.

Regards,

• 7Bit likes this

#17 7Bit

7Bit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Great news, good move Synology!

#18 tha_lama

tha_lama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Quick question: why did you guys pick the ds214play over the ds713+? Don't they both have x86 processors but the ds713+ is clocked higher? What does it have of more?

The ds214 play comes with an intel Evansport Dual Core CPU,  especially created for handling home media.

How that in the end compares with the 713+ i don't know (2,13 GHz Dual Core Intel Atom D2700 processor)

For now i guess we need to wait and see, as there is no ffmpeg support for the Evansport proc yet.

Meaning plex server can't use the proc for what it is created for yet.....

http://www.cpu-world...ia_devices.html

#19 beq

beq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

According to Plex Wiki, even the 2.13GHz Atom D2700 is not enough for 1080p transcoding, or even higher-bitrate 720p transcoding.  But perhaps the Wiki is being conservative?

Whereas the Berryville NAS manufacturers like Synology flat out advertise simultaneous transcoding of multiple 1080p streams.  Just hope we can see more reviews...

#20 silver-stream

silver-stream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hi just ordered a ds214play due to arrive Monday which will be my first Nas device so I am new to all this plex streaming and transcoding ect.

Is there any chance you could post a quick howto guide with a few photos for how you did the above and installed plex on the Ds214play

I Have never heard of or used 7-zip so no idea where to start ..

I have just tried plex on my laptop and I wish to use it in the same way on the ds214play as it works well for streaming to my tv,

the idea is to rip all my Movies and music to the Nas so any help with installing plex on it and getting it to work would be a great help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ce5335, intel, evansport, 214play, synology, ffmpeg, transcoding