Photo

Plex on a Chromebook

chrome

Best Answer ericmatthys , 23 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

thanks, and it will stream over the local network?

Yes.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 s1lentb0b

s1lentb0b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hi, first time poster.

My wife has a chrome book and I was wondering if its possible for her to stream plex to that.  I downloaded the app from the chrome store but was unable to get it working as it said I needed a different version plex and html 5 wasnt supported (sorry for the vague message but I am at university at the moment and dont have access to her chromebook).

#2 BigWheel

BigWheel

Keeps Turning

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6260 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

i think the thing from the chrome store is still very early beta.   can she not just go to plex/web through the broswer

Please do not send me private messages unless requested.

Splinter A great little horror/monster movie
The Knick my new addiction

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit the Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

#3 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2945 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

You need to download the latest Plex Media Server to resolve that error.

#4 s1lentb0b

s1lentb0b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

i know this is a dumb question but to do that do I need to put the IP in the chrome browser?  I am guessing I do.

#5 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2945 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

As long as your media server is connected to myPlex and the myPlex account that she is using the Chrome app with has access to your media server, it should work.

#6 s1lentb0b

s1lentb0b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

#7 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2945 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:51 PM   Best Answer

Yes.

• s1lentb0b likes this

#8 CTAC

CTAC

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Just to chime in on that -- plex worked wonders even on the ARM-based Samsung Chromebook. Unfortunately Chrome doesn't natively support bonjour/avahi services discovery, but I believe there's a Chrome extension for that and then you don't need to type in the IP address.

#9 ericmatthys

ericmatthys

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2945 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

Just to chime in on that -- plex worked wonders even on the ARM-based Samsung Chromebook. Unfortunately Chrome doesn't natively support bonjour/avahi services discovery, but I believe there's a Chrome extension for that and then you don't need to type in the IP address.

I am planning on adding support to the Chrome app for remembering details for your servers so you only have to sign in to myPlex once before you can access your servers even if myPlex is down or you are on your local network. These details would be cleared if you sign out, of course.

#10 CTAC

CTAC

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

I am planning on adding support to the Chrome app for remembering details for your servers so you only have to sign in to myPlex once before you can access your servers even if myPlex is down or you are on your local network. These details would be cleared if you sign out, of course.

That would be wonderful, thank you!

#11 flinker

flinker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

Allow me to add that with an Acer C720 it isn't neessary to use the Chrome OS. In fact, many people use a flavour of Linux on their ChromeBook. Personally, I've used Bodhi Linux (Jeff Hoogland's C720-specific version), Ubuntu 14.04, and HugeGreenBug Linux (C720-specific).

The C720-specific flavours bring out-of-the-box support for the touch pad and other C720 foibles. The stock Ubuntu runs nicely with a mouse, but it's handy to have the touchpad working, too.

If you put Linux on your ChromeBook, you then have all the underlying services that Plex requries.

A final note: Plugable's USB 3.0 and 2.0 USB to Ethernet (10/100/1000) adapters work like a charm on the C720 ChromeBook (under either chrome or linux), so you can have that fast, reliable, wired connection. You can get a max of 480Mbps throughput via the USB port using one of those adapters.

My C720 is currently running HugeGreenBug on a 128GB SSD (a 30-45 minute upgrade [~USD$65 from amazon]).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chrome