20 replies to this topic

#1 jernomer

jernomer

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

Did something change recently with the Hulu plugin (or something on Hulu's end) where the ability to pause a video is lost?

I swear I used to be able to pause the videos, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

#2 jayman978

jayman978

Plex Dev Team

• Plexville Red Sox Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

A brand new version of the hulu plugin was released last week. I just played a video and was able to pause it with the space bar.

#3 jernomer

jernomer

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

A brand new version of the hulu plugin was released last week. I just played a video and was able to pause it with the space bar.

Yep, I'm on the most up-to-date version. :) (I even uninstalled and reinstalled for good measure.)

Neither using the space bar or the pause button on my Harmony remote is working to pause Hulu videos. Both of those methods work to pause videos in all of the other plugins, though. I wonder why it isn't working with Hulu.

#4 popophobia

popophobia

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

I actually bumped into a bug (javascript bug i think) when you keep hitting space before the movie was fully buffered. The count is messed up so that plex will say pause while hulu says playing, and vice versa... I don't know what is a good way to fix this, since hulu used to lag on my connection and need a big buffer time.

#5 jayman978

jayman978

Plex Dev Team

• Plexville Red Sox Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

I am not able to reproduce this. I am on a 20mb connection though so I'm not sure if this is an issue with slower connection speeds. When Plex can't read enough of the file it will not let you use any of the play controls. How fast is your connection?

#6 jernomer

jernomer

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

I am not able to reproduce this. I am on a 20mb connection though so I'm not sure if this is an issue with slower connection speeds. When Plex can't read enough of the file it will not let you use any of the play controls. How fast is your connection?

To give you an idea of what I'm running on, I just ran a speed test:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 26678 kbps (3334.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1963 kbps (245.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

It should be fast enough...

#7 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:39 AM

Did you ever find a solution to this? I cannot pause either.

#8 jernomer

jernomer

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

Did you ever find a solution to this? I cannot pause either.

Nope, I'm still waiting for a fix.

I have created a lighthouse ticket here: http://plexapp.light...use-hulu-videos

It might be helpful for the devs if you can add anything you might think is helpful to the ticket. :)

#9 snowtires

snowtires

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

same problem here, can't pause, fast-forward or rewind hulu OR joost videos.

#10 Marc Rhodes

Marc Rhodes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

Dunno if "me too" posts are useful or not but that's what this one is. I am also unable to pause Hulu videos.

#11 norbertsf

norbertsf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:00 AM

Can't pause here either. OS 10.5 on MacBook

#12 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:05 PM

Has there been any progress with a resolution for this? Not being able to pause, fast forward, or rewind Hulu videos is driving me nuts!

#13 Billy Joe

Billy Joe

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

still broken for me too, i've been using the hulu desktop app, which has great navigation, but worse upscaling than plex.

#14 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:09 PM

still broken for me too, i've been using the hulu desktop app, which has great navigation, but worse upscaling than plex.

Yea, that's what I've been using in the interim. Problem is, I prefer the unified Plex platform and you're certainly right about the upscaling. hopefully this issue gets resolved...but it looks like it's been going on for a while.

#15 Billy Joe

Billy Joe

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

i think the problem is is that it's not happening to everyone and the people that would be able to fix it cant reproduce the problem

#16 minifig

minifig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:18 AM

I swear I used to be able to pause the videos, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

I didn't use it for a while, and I honestly wasn't sure if I ever had been able to pause, either.

My DL pipe is ~1.4MB/s, so that really can't be the deciding factor, with the tiny bitrate on these videos.

#17 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

I didn't use it for a while, and I honestly wasn't sure if I ever had been able to pause, either.

My DL pipe is ~1.4MB/s, so that really can't be the deciding factor, with the tiny bitrate on these videos.

Yea, I've consistently been seeing between 3 and 4MB/s down and I can't use any of the control functions. Stop takes me back to the HULU menu, at which point I have to start the video from the beginning (regardless of the fact that it allows me to pick up where I left off).

I'm not sure it's going to be that big of a deal when HULU starts charging in 2010 though. I doubt I'll be using it much after that.

#18 jernomer

jernomer

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:52 AM

Well, it seems like the recent Hulu plugin update solved my pausing issue. I hope it fixes it for everyone else, as well. :)

#19 vicariousMe

vicariousMe

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

Hi All,

I've been having the problem for a while now, too, but I just managed to resolve it by removing my Plex Media Server library folder. Hopefully this will help some of you for whom it is still happening, even after the updates:

0: BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER. You will be removing data. If something goes wrong you have been warned.
1: Open Plex.
2: Go to System Settings
3: Go to the Media Server settings and turn off Always Running on the media server.
4: Quit Plex.
5: Go to your user's Application Support Folder: [username]/Library/Application Support
6: move the Plex Media Server folder somewhere else (the desktop is a good working space)
7: restart your computer
8: restart Plex
9: reinstall and set up all of your plugins again
10: turn on Always Running on the media server if you so desire.

Good luck! I hope this works for you all, too.

-Vicarious

Preen: Skin manager for Plex on the Mac.

#20 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

Well, it seems like the recent Hulu plugin update solved my pausing issue. I hope it fixes it for everyone else, as well. :)

YES!!! I can pause now too! I had to uninstall and reinstall my HULU app for it to work. I tried to update, and it told me it was the most recent. So when I uninstalled and reinstalled it, everything works great now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users