3 replies to this topic

#1 AndreaPress

AndreaPress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

please sorry for the n00b question but why from the plexapp.com home page I can only download the Plex Media Server edition?

By using the Google search I can download the Plex Media Center edition at this page http://www.plexapp.c...edia-center.php

Please can somebody clarify the main differences between the two editions and why the media center page isn't reachable from the plexapp.com menu?

I've assumed that the Server is a full package while the Center is just the PC/Mac client that works only connected to a Server (I'm using this scenario in my actual setup: Debian Server and Media Center on a Mac that works really flawlessly ----> thanks to all the developers of this great project ;-) )

Thanks!

Andrea

#2 FrozenDragoon

FrozenDragoon

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

You are right, the Plex Media Center is just a client. And the server is just a server. If you wish to run a server and client on the same machine, you do need both packages. If you just wish to connect to a server located on another machine, you just need media center.

Regarding the website... Looks like someone messed up.Attached File  image.jpg   172.02KB   3 downloads

#3 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15386 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

The download page at plexapp.com has both sets of downloads:

Plex Media Server ( the server with Plex/Web browser interface for access to the media library) version 0.9.8.10
Plex Media Center (the media player) version 0.9.5.4 - needs Plex media server.

The structure of the download page is not very good with heading referring to PMC then download for PMS then the downloads for PMC

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues      Plex Home Theater: Reporting Issues      Plex Web App: Debug Log      Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows and other recurring Plex issues see my profile

#4 AndreaPress

AndreaPress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ahhhh okkk  :D  :D

I've noticed the versions just now, anyway yes, the download page is a little bit confusing.

Thanks guys now it's clear ;D

Cheers!

Andrea