3 replies to this topic

#1 AndreaPress

AndreaPress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

please sorry for the n00b question but why from the plexapp.com home page I can only download the Plex Media Server edition?

By using the Google search I can download the Plex Media Center edition at this page http://www.plexapp.c...edia-center.php

Please can somebody clarify the main differences between the two editions and why the media center page isn't reachable from the plexapp.com menu?

I've assumed that the Server is a full package while the Center is just the PC/Mac client that works only connected to a Server (I'm using this scenario in my actual setup: Debian Server and Media Center on a Mac that works really flawlessly ----> thanks to all the developers of this great project ;-) )

Thanks!

Andrea

#2 FrozenDragoon

FrozenDragoon

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

You are right, the Plex Media Center is just a client. And the server is just a server. If you wish to run a server and client on the same machine, you do need both packages. If you just wish to connect to a server located on another machine, you just need media center.

Regarding the website... Looks like someone messed up.Attached File  image.jpg   172.02KB   3 downloads

#3 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

The download page at plexapp.com has both sets of downloads:

Plex Media Server ( the server with Plex/Web browser interface for access to the media library) version 0.9.8.10
Plex Media Center (the media player) version 0.9.5.4 - needs Plex media server.

The structure of the download page is not very good with heading referring to PMC then download for PMS then the downloads for PMC

Help given free on forums.      Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Getting Started     Downloads     PlexPASS     Channels     FAQs     Changing PMS Data Location     Changing Media Location    Plex Downloads md5 checksums

Supported Plex Companion/Remote Control Apps               Resetting System & Framework Bundles (include WebClient.bundle if Plex/Web loading issues)

Diagnostics:   Troubleshooting   Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues    Logs    Crash Dumps         Plex Home Theater: Reporting Issues     Logs     Crash Dumps            Plex Web App: Debug Log

Plex for iOs:   Console Log & Crash Dumps                 Plex for Android:     Email Device Logs          Roku: Logs   FAQs            Samsung:  Plex User Manual

Server Connect for Remote Access: Plex Media Server - Connect     Network Ports to allow     Connecting a Server   Troubleshooting Server Connections (incl Double NAT check)

Sharing of Connected Server

Current Issues:

- Plex Sync for Whole (Large) Library Sections crashes out the Plex Media Server on Windows (memory):

- DLNA timeouts on PMS 0.9.11.7 & 0.9.11.10 (FIXED IN 0.9.11.12)

- Locked out from server if PlexHome and server removed or password changed - see new support page {Password Change issue fixed in 0.9.11.16}

- Curl 52 Errors and MTU Size - Seen on Linux/NAS platforms on 0.9.11.13 - see this PlexPASS post

- Third Party and Malware and AdWare dll's that crash mswsock.dll leading to Plex Media Server crashes on windows systems

AsProxy.dll, BDL.dll, CatWSPrx.dll, ColorMedia.dll, CovenantEyesProxy.dll,cwalsp.dll, EasyRedirect.dll, GfKLSPService.DLL, HMIPCore.dll, ICProxy.dll, LavasoftTCPService.dll, MintCastNetworks.dll, MyOSProtect.dll, MyRadioPlayer.dll, mza.dll, N1Service.dll, PCProtect.dll, Plsapp.dll, QProxy.dll, Rslsp.dll, SafeIPs.dll, sendori.dll, SmoothPingProxy.dll

#4 AndreaPress

AndreaPress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ahhhh okkk  :D  :D

I've noticed the versions just now, anyway yes, the download page is a little bit confusing.

Thanks guys now it's clear ;D

Cheers!

Andrea