• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 meulemaster

meulemaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

Sorry if this question has been posed before...

I am looking for the best preset option in Handbrake to play in Plex. I was using the xbox 360 preset but since I am in the process of switching to a mac mini setup with Plex I am wondering if there is a better preset. I read in some thread that using the apple tv preset (mv4 vs mp4) will give you better audio?

Can someone who has experience with this please advise me? I am looking for high quality audio + video...

Help is much appreciated!

cheers

#2 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

My settings:

http://forums.plexap...?showtopic=5176

#3 David B

David B

Plex Dev Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

For simplicity, I use the Apple Universal setting so that it will play on an Apple TV, Mac and an iPod without additional transcoding.

#4 Cameron

Cameron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

For an easy solution, use the Apple TV preset. It's fantastic and encodes at a decent speed. I use a modified (and slightly slower) version of the Apple TV Preset:

Advanced Tab:
ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:me=umh:subq=7:b-adapt=2:8x8dct=1:direct=auto:analyse=all

Loose Anamorphic
Framerate: Same as Source
Detelecine: Default
Decomb: Default

Constant Quality
Movies: 62.25% or RF 19.25
TV Shows: 59.31% or RF 20.75
Really anything between 57%-62% will be great, but it's all up to what you prefer. Run a few tests to see.

I use the MP4 container for everything but videos that require subtitles or DTS passthrough. Using MKV instead allows me to have selectable subtitles and the ability to passthrough DTS. I usually also encode an AAC file along with any AC3 or DTS for backwards compatibility with Apple TV, etc just in case.

One caveat: you said you were previously using the XBOX 360 preset. Well, if you are planning on using any of these files on your 360, uncheck 8x8. The video's aspect ratio will be distorted on the 360 if you use 8x8.

Also, if you need your videos to also be compatible with iPods and iPhones, use the Universal preset only.

-Cameron

#5 meulemaster

meulemaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

thanks everyone for your great responsed!!

Much appreciatted!!!

#6 pmcmvp

pmcmvp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

i use the film preset...takes forever to encode (3-4 hours) but it looks pretty good

#7 Blackstar BSP

Blackstar BSP

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:42 AM

I personally tend to use:

Container: .mkv
Audio: Passthrough
Video: MPEG-4 / ffmpeg
Quality: Constant 90%
Picture Settings: Keep Aspect Ratio ON - Pixel size original - Auto Crop ON

Movies end up looking great, are between 800MB and 1.6GB in size, takes about 15 - 30 minutes to encode each.
- Blackstar

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

"This is UNSC AI Serial Number CTN0452-9. I am a monument to all your sins."

#8 pmcmvp

pmcmvp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

I personally tend to use:

Container: .mkv
Audio: Passthrough
Video: MPEG-4 / ffmpeg
Quality: Constant 90%
Picture Settings: Keep Aspect Ratio ON - Pixel size original - Auto Crop ON

Movies end up looking great, are between 800MB and 1.6GB in size, takes about 15 - 30 minutes to encode each.

Blackstar, do you watch your movies on a computer screen or a HDTV?

#9 Blackstar BSP

Blackstar BSP

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

Blackstar, do you watch your movies on a computer screen or a HDTV?

I watch my HD content on my LCD HDTV with either PLEX or XBMC. The HDTV actually doubles for my computer monitor. I watch my SD content on a regular CRT TV through an xbox with XBMC. On occasion, I watch SD content with PLEX on my HD TV, but I find the majority of SD content simply looks better on a SD CRT TV.

When I want to rip DVD's, I find just for time-sake and performance on the xbox, the ffmpeg/audio pass at 90% with no other changes goes very fast. I don't like tying up the machines with encoding for hours if I can help it.
- Blackstar

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

#10 Cameron

Cameron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, using ffmpeg instead of x264 will be much faster but the quality of an x264 encode should be much better. It's all in what you prefer. For anyone just trying this out, there are no perfect settings. Use the examples in this thread and run tests to see what you like.

#11 pmcmvp

pmcmvp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

I tried the blackstar settings and it does look okay and is much faster to encode. Just need to decide if Ill stick with it or use the film preset. Im leaning towards blackstar settings. Not sure if I can wait the few hours.

#12 Blackstar BSP

Blackstar BSP

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

I tried the blackstar settings and it does look okay and is much faster to encode. Just need to decide if Ill stick with it or use the film preset. Im leaning towards blackstar settings. Not sure if I can wait the few hours.

Yeah for me, the quality vs. time was just not worth it. Especially when played on a CRT TV, the compression is not even noticeable. On LCD's, it is at a close distance. But since nothing will be really perfect except the originals, if I want that much quality I'd just rip the original VOB's and be done with it. Those also take only 10-30 minutes but are 4 to 6x's the files size. For slightly less quality I think it's worth it to get 4 to 6 movies on a drive in the same space it would take 1 vob. As my storage capacity increases, I may re-rip my existing movies I want the better quality on.
- Blackstar

#13 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:12 AM

I don't like tying up the machines with encoding for hours if I can help it.

What originally got me into hackintoshing was wanting Mac Pro (back when it first came out) level performance for handbrake for a reasonable cost. Now I pretty much have a quad-core that is dedicated to getting me things off of Megashares and encoding Blu Rays/DVDs.

If I didn't have that system, I would get one of those Turbo sticks. I couldn't imagine how long re-encoding a Blu Ray would take on a Mac Mini.....

#14 ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

I start with Universal, turn on detelecine and decomb. I save one preset with AAC and AC3 audio tracks, the other with just AAC.

Files are compatible with Plex, AppleTV and iPhone/iPod touch.

#15 pmcmvp

pmcmvp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:36 AM

im back with the film preset with 2200 bit rate..takes forever to encode but it looks good

#16 Woodsy Allen

Woodsy Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:45 AM

Im just about to give this a shot for some DVDs I have. I want to include the directors comments. MP4 or MKV doesn't really matter to me (I was thinking of going with Universal just so that it is compatible with all my devices) but I wanted to keep the file sizes AROUND 1400mb or so. Suggestions? Should I stick to universal? Or try the "film" setting?

i heard that the MKV files from handbrake can sometimes be a bit of a pest so thats why I was thinking of sticking with universal (and again, plays nice with all my apps, devices, and my favourite, MetaX)

Thoughts?

#17 Cameron

Cameron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

Just a heads up for those who also like compatibility with their iPhones: the 3GS and newest iPod Touches will now play encodes with more advanced x264 options like B-Frames and CABAC, making presets like the Apple TV one viewable on the iPhone!