• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thesoulhacker

thesoulhacker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

May I ask why the Plex team keeps making choices for us or should I say keeps us from choosing how we want to use Plex.

I have to say this is becoming really frustrating and I feel like the dev team just doesn't get it. Let me say that I appreciate all the hard work you guys are putting into Plex and if the reason why you guys are working so hard to deliver this really good software is to satisfy your users you have to stop disabling or deleting functionalities without asking the community or simply giving the community the choice.

The main reason for my frustration is the way you guys simply killed the shutdown menu. A lot of people like me used the shutdown menu A LOT. And you guys for some reason just killed it. You guys should know by now that there is nothing more frustrating then loosing good functionality. I feel like for every good functionality you guys add, there is a good one you guys disable.

We've had discussions about the way the team is handling Plex and the way you guys think you're entitled to all the decisions on the release schedule and content. I respect that, you guys are putting in all the hard work so you should be deciding on the way you want to work and on the new functionalities you want to build, but please just sometimes listen to this community that is spending hours in these forums! We are the users of your application and I feel like all you listen to are the good feedbacks.

If you decide to disable something by default, ok, do it, but at least give us the choice of re-enabling it somewhere. I don't understand how come you guys don't understand this yet.

Sorry in advance if I sound harsh and negative but I'm pissed because I love this app and admire the work you guys have done and after each release I feel like you're killing the experience.

Just my 2 cents.

#2 Billy Joe

Billy Joe

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

in my opinion it was just a design decision for a small-ish UI cleanup, the sort of decision that has to be made a lot on projects like this to keep plex from getting cluttered with thousands of confusing and mostly useless settings. i dont really care about it one way or the other, but some people do really miss the shutdown menu though, and if you look in the skins forum, there is a mod to put it back.

#3 thesoulhacker

thesoulhacker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

in my opinion it was just a design decision for a small-ish UI cleanup, the sort of decision that has to be made a lot on projects like this to keep plex from getting cluttered with thousands of confusing and mostly useless settings. i dont really care about it one way or the other, but some people do really miss the shutdown menu though, and if you look in the skins forum, there is a mod to put it back.

That's my point, if there is a mod to get it back there can be a toggle in the settings to turn it on or off. And also this in no way is a "small-ish" UI thing, we're talking about a menu that some people were using every single day.

When you start seeing people modding your app to bring some old stuff back it's a clear sign you're doing something wrong there.

#4 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

We're definitely listening to the community and we'll be addressing the issue in the next release.

With a large project like this, with thousands of features added over the years, it's always hard to clean up, because there is always someone who passionately loves every single feature.

We always try to make the best choices for the *majority* of the people, especially with new users in mind.

For now, rest assured we're listening, and working :)

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#5 thesoulhacker

thesoulhacker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

We're definitely listening to the community and we'll be addressing the issue in the next release.

With a large project like this, with thousands of features added over the years, it's always hard to clean up, because there is always someone who passionately loves every single feature.

We always try to make the best choices for the *majority* of the people, especially with new users in mind.

For now, rest assured we're listening, and working :)

Thanks for the answer Elan, I appreciate it.

#6 wally007

wally007

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the answer Elan, I appreciate it.

i was probably 1st who cried when File manager and ShutDown menu was removed. I used ShutDown menu every night before i went to bed to enable timed shutdown so Plex, didnt run all night ( but i didnt want mac mini to go to sleep for downloading reasons ).

For now Maverick was nice enough to make mod and brought back ShutDown Menu to MediaStream and AeonPlex. But i also hope Plex is not on its way to become FrontRow-ish , dumb shit that looks pretty. If devs want and feel the need to cut some menus , why not give power users choices in Advanced settings and just disable it by default.

#7 diamondsw

diamondsw

"Vitriolic yet well-intentioned"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

That's my point, if there is a mod to get it back there can be a toggle in the settings to turn it on or off. And also this in no way is a "small-ish" UI thing, we're talking about a menu that some people were using every single day.

If it can be brought back by a mod so easily, then I'd say that yes, that is a smallish UI thing. They moved an option from a dialog to hitting "right arrow" when on Quit.

If devs want and feel the need to cut some menus , why not give power users choices in Advanced settings and just disable it by default.

Because then you end up with stuff like this:
Posted Image

And thus Firefox was born.

There are a lot of settings in Plex today that have little to no reason to be there for most users, and if you really want to edit them, you can use either a patched skin or edit an XML file. But if 80% of people don't need it...

#8 thesoulhacker

thesoulhacker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:55 PM

Well I couldn't disagree more with what you saying. Being in software development for years believe me in no means the amount of code needed for a functionality defines its importance. So in no way an easy mod can reflect a smallish UI thing. What might be smallish to you is really important to peeps like who are using this functionality every day. "right arrow" on quit is not equal to "S" from anywhere, believe me.

As for your second argument, it's even more wrong than the first one. I could bet my pay that you don't use half of the functionalities in Word or Excel; and 90% of the peeps using word don't need most of the functionalities in there but Microsoft doesn't just get rid of them, why? because it would be just dumb!

And lastly, if you really read what I wrote you'll understand that in this case what I'm saying is that it is possible to satisfy 100% of the users by just having it be optional and not 80% and leaving the other 20% complaning about it (which by the way in no way reflects the number of people who complained about this)

#9 wally007

wally007

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

If it can be brought back by a mod so easily, then I'd say that yes, that is a smallish UI thing. They moved an option from a dialog to hitting "right arrow" when on Quit.

Because then you end up with stuff like this:
Posted Image

And thus Firefox was born.

There are a lot of settings in Plex today that have little to no reason to be there for most users, and if you really want to edit them, you can use either a patched skin or edit an XML file. But if 80% of people don't need it...

first of all i see nothing wrong with that pic.

second of all i was talking about ADVANCED settings , you know the one that you can even see unless you exit from full screen hunt down mouse cursor and look for it in menu bar. Unless you're looking for it , you wont find it. And those 20% users will keep using it instead of going to something that will fit them. And most of the time , those 20% that tinker with their systems are most vocal of the bunch too.

Tech idiots , like my lovely girlfriend would NEVER install something like plex , xbmc , path finder or growl . Front row , finder etc is all she needs and if its not there , she doesnt need it.

#10 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:17 AM

Tech idiots , like my lovely girlfriend would NEVER install something like plex , xbmc , path finder or growl . Front row , finder etc is all she needs and if its not there , she doesnt need it.

Even Front Row kinda assumes that someone is hooking their Computer to a TV (with its ten foot interface).

Lets all be honest- without us nerds in the world our girlfriends would get by on over priced digital cable, Netflix and Blockbuster. Like most people.

#11 Billy Joe

Billy Joe

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:22 AM

SOCKS proxies can be useful on really rare occasions ... but ... i do have to admit that that sort of feature bloat is what makes firefox perfect for developers and what make me far prefer camino for everyday browsing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users