• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Zer0defex

Zer0defex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

I currently use Plex on my 2GHz Mac Mini, and it's great. However the limited power of the Mac Mini makes watching hd rips with an average video bitrate over 10000kbps pretty tough.

OTOH, I just streamed a rip of Planet Earth Episode 1 to my PS3 (from my Windows 7 Media Server) and I swear, the PS3 practically laughed at it as the bitrate climbed to over 50000kbps. It's just a shame that the PS3 interface is crap for using it as a full HTPC solution. I'm very spoiled by Plex I guess you could say.

So I guess this is more of a wishlist request to have the ability to use Plex on my PS3.

Just throwing that out there :rolleyes:

#2 Billy Joe

Billy Joe

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

i think the problem with planet earth specifially isnt bit rate, but rather a very shifty vc1 encoding.

and you gotta be kidding asking plex to be ported to ps3. firstly plex's strength is its single platform focus. also xbmc will never work on the ps3, even under linux. search their forums for the exact reasons why, besides requiring a complete port to the cell processor, xbmc requires opengl 1.4 support to draw to the screen and there is no way to access the ps3's gpu.

#3 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

i think the problem with planet earth specifially isnt bit rate, but rather a very shifty vc1 encoding.

and you gotta be kidding asking plex to be ported to ps3. firstly plex's strength is its single platform focus. also xbmc will never work on the ps3, even under linux. search their forums for the exact reasons why, besides requiring a complete port to the cell processor, xbmc requires opengl 1.4 support to draw to the screen and there is no way to access the ps3's gpu.

The new slim versions of the PS3 don't even let you boot Linux, which was the previous way of watching 1080p content (not blessed by Sony) on the PS3 without transcoding. Sigh...

#4 scross28

scross28

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

With the new Geohot custom firmware and PSLight open source dev kit, this might be possible. I would love to see it!

#5 HaveACoke1886

HaveACoke1886

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

+1

#6 kappa_fo

kappa_fo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

With the new Geohot custom firmware and PSLight open source dev kit, this might be possible. I would love to see it!

Looks like they now have access to the Cell processor for video acceleration

Showtime

#7 Dahlgren

Dahlgren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

I've created a simple Plex client as an addon for the Showtime app and it's working great on the PS3 version of Showtime! Only downside at the moment is the slow initial loading of videos, probably something wrong with streaming from the PMS backend but playback is fine with HD videos. The PS3 version of Showtime also lacks an onscreen keyboard which means that a USB keyboard is required to initially configure the URL for the PMS backend.

#8 NEI

NEI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

I've created a simple Plex client as an addon for the Showtime app and it's working great on the PS3 version of Showtime! Only downside at the moment is the slow initial loading of videos, probably something wrong with streaming from the PMS backend but playback is fine with HD videos. The PS3 version of Showtime also lacks an onscreen keyboard which means that a USB keyboard is required to initially configure the URL for the PMS backend.

Is there a download somewhere for this? Would be very interrested...

#9 qwerty1234

qwerty1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Please tell us where to download? :)

#10 diamondsw

diamondsw

"Vitriolic yet well-intentioned"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

Also interested. A friend of mine is dying for an all-in-one Blu-Ray and local media streaming solution.

#11 readyplex

readyplex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:28 AM

Me too. Is this coming soon?

#12 andig

andig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

Me too. Is this coming soon?

me 2

#13 diamondsw

diamondsw

"Vitriolic yet well-intentioned"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

FYI since the poster did not mention this, but this requires you to have "hacked" your PS3 with custom firmware. It's not something that will (ever?) run on a stock PS3.

#14 cassius

cassius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:07 PM

With the release of the RSX driver for PS3, Plex or XBMC on the PS3 is probably closer than it has ever been.

#15 Dahlgren

Dahlgren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

Sorry, I've been busy for the last month so not much development has been done. I've upgraded the code to work with the new plugin system in Showtime at least :)

I got an idea about a week ago that might make it possible to use Plex on a PS3 which isn't "hacked" with a custom firmware. I'll try to hack something together soon!

#16 tcviper

tcviper

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

cool and from THE ps3 you Will than be able to browse to a plex server?

Primary PMS: HP Quad Intel Xeon Ubuntu 12.04, 16Gb memory

Secondary PMS: Macmini 2012 i7, 16gb Ram, Fuzion Drive (1TB)

Storage Server 1: Synology RS3412xs with 20TB of WD Red Drives, AFP to Plex Server

Storage Server 2: Synology DS1511+ with 10TB of WD Black Drives, AFP to Plex Server (PMS 2)

DLNA/Airplay Clients: Sony KDL-55W905A | KDL-42W655A, Sony Receiver DN1040

Desktop Clients: 2 x Windows 8 24", 2 x 15" MBP, 2 x 13" MBPA, iMac i5 2011 27"

Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5, 2 x Sony Xperia Z, 1x iPad 4 32Gb

Media Players: Sony NSZ-GS7 GTV, ATV3

#17 Mooo

Mooo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:00 AM

Is it not possible to exploit the streaming plug-in that allows streaming from TV Stations catch up TV services? Sorry -- I know that was a bit long-winded, but I hope that was understood.

Also, how does the EyeTV plug-in work?

#18 5stringdeath

5stringdeath

Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:23 AM

Why not just use PS3MediaServer? While it won't integrate with Plex for watched/unwatched status, etc, you can map the exact same folders for access on the PS3. Its what I used before Plex in my living room. Its not as elegant as Plex, but it certainly works fine.

-------------------

Running PMS on a MacMini and Synology 412+

Clients include: PHT MacMini, PHT MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPad Retina, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Sony GS7, Nexus 7, Roku3, Chromecast, Plex Web in Chrome

Fav Plex Feature: SYNC!

#19 warper4098

warper4098

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

The only problem with trying to run plex and ps3 media server on the same machine accessing the same folders is that it really messes with the database
on both of them. They both are always monitoring and something happens and slows everything down. That is at least what I have seen.

#20 dasdrehmoment

dasdrehmoment

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Sorry, I've been busy for the last month so not much development has been done. I've upgraded the code to work with the new plugin system in Showtime at least :)

I got an idea about a week ago that might make it possible to use Plex on a PS3 which isn't "hacked" with a custom firmware. I'll try to hack something together soon!

hi,

did you develop that idea eventually? I would be happy to test and troubleshoot.

also, how does that showtime plugin-thing work? could someone hint the correct search terms, 'cause I didn't find anything... using the ps3 for plex would be awesome!

best regards,
ht

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users