• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Volante

Volante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:07 AM

Anyone know a good application to change .avi-files aspect ratio?

#2 Blackstar BSP

Blackstar BSP

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:10 AM

Visual Hub, Episode Pro, MPEG Streamclip, QuickTime Pro, ffmpegX, JES Deinterlacer, Compressor, MPEG2 Works, just to name a few off the top of my head. I believe all of them will change the aspect ratio of video files. Some are free, shareware, or commercial.

But, are you wanting to change then so they are correctly displayed on your TV? Because you can cycle through those options and control them with Plex by pressing the "z" key or looking at the video playback submenu and changing the x and y axis manually without having the re-render the video. If you are looking to crop the video files to get 4:3 footage to become widescreen, that's different. You will lose the top and bottom and have to expand the size to fill the widescreen frame. This does soften the footage quality.
- Blackstar

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

"This is UNSC AI Serial Number CTN0452-9. I am a monument to all your sins."

#3 Volante

Volante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

Visual Hub, Episode Pro, MPEG Streamclip, QuickTime Pro, ffmpegX, JES Deinterlacer, Compressor, MPEG2 Works, just to name a few off the top of my head. I believe all of them will change the aspect ratio of video files. Some are free, shareware, or commercial.

But, are you wanting to change then so they are correctly displayed on your TV? Because you can cycle through those options and control them with Plex by pressing the "z" key or looking at the video playback submenu and changing the x and y axis manually without having the re-render the video. If you are looking to crop the video files to get 4:3 footage to become widescreen, that's different. You will lose the top and bottom and have to expand the size to fill the widescreen frame. This does soften the footage quality.

I got some avi's that are supposed to be anormophic 16:9, but isn't. I dont want to reencode the file, just change the aspect ratio. :/

#4 Blackstar BSP

Blackstar BSP

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:55 AM

I got some avi's that are supposed to be anormophic 16:9, but isn't. I dont want to reencode the file, just change the aspect ratio. :/

That's where the "z" key comes in. Press it to cycle through the options until it looks correct to you. If non of those options work, you may have to change it manually from the onscreen video option window. If that does not work for you, then they may in fact have to be re-encoded to get it correct.
- Blackstar

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

"This is UNSC AI Serial Number CTN0452-9. I am a monument to all your sins."

#5 jimjim85

jimjim85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

There's a very good application, i will not post the link though, it allows to change resolution anisotropically so that also the aspect ratio changes accordingly.
If you google for: Aspect Ratio Video Resizer you should have no problem finding it

My suggestion is to test the trial version first on the same video you want to modify so you are sure the codec and format is supported, either with your numeric values or manually (easiest way). works fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users