• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Frihet

Frihet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

I have read the wiki and looked at similar threads here, but cannot get a DVD ISO to play.

I have the latest beta on a Mac Mini. The files are on a 1.5 TB Windows XP share.

I can add a source for mpeg files on the share, select it, pick a video, and it plays fine.

I can add a source for iso files, but cannot get them to play. They play fine with Nero on the Windows host machine. When I select an iso directory containing AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS and subdirectories and attempt to play, I simply go down a level in the tree to see the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subdirectories. If I select the VIDEO_TS subdirectory, I see the DVD VIDEO_TS file list.

I have scanning turned off (don't want it).

I am confident that this is totally a result of my utter incompetence, but be that as it may, I'm at the end of my rope.

Ideas?

Thanks!!!

#2 Frihet

Frihet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

My question must really be embarrassing.

MPEGS still play fine from the XP HD. ISOs do not play. I have read the file mode info on the wiki, to no avail. The first time through after creating the source, I can navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder. When I hit play with the remote or enter "C" on the VIDEO_TS folder (stacking on), Plex crashes. After restarting, I can no longer navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder and must recreate the source (I'm getting good at that).

My guess is that DVD ISO playing is not working in this release (or, I'm a complete idiot, as I originally thought).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#3 Frihet

Frihet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:10 PM

OK, I think I'm done here. The Mac DVD player works just fine off the remote ISO directory containing the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS subdirectories. The problem appears to be in Plex or the complexity of setup.

I'm really happy with Plex for what it does. I'll just use something else for my ISOs.

Onward and upward.

#4 nerpissad

nerpissad

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:16 AM

OK, I think I'm done here. The Mac DVD player works just fine off the remote ISO directory containing the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS subdirectories. The problem appears to be in Plex or the complexity of setup.

I'm really happy with Plex for what it does. I'll just use something else for my ISOs.

Onward and upward.

let me try to understand. are you trying to play .iso files directly, or are you mounting your .iso / .img files and adding them as sources?
for me, playing .iso / .img files has never been a problem. even though I don't like them and always convert them to .mkv's with makeMKV.
could you elaborate on what exactly you're trying to do, as I don't see any VIDEO_TS folders trying to play .iso files plex just seems to play them as it should.

What to do if you're new to Plex?
First you should have a look at the Plex Wiki, its full of all sorts of useful information. For all initial set-up questions, the screencasts are an invaluable source of answers.
If you still can't solve your problem, your
Plex log files are very useful source of information. Zip them up and attach them to your post.

#5 Frihet

Frihet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:58 AM

let me try to understand. are you trying to play .iso files directly, or are you mounting your .iso / .img files and adding them as sources?
for me, playing .iso / .img files has never been a problem. even though I don't like them and always convert them to .mkv's with makeMKV.
could you elaborate on what exactly you're trying to do, as I don't see any VIDEO_TS folders trying to play .iso files plex just seems to play them as it should.

The DVD iso creator program creates output that looks like this:

VideoName --> AUDIO_TS --> empty
VIDEO_TS --> iso files are present

VideoName is a directory, AUDIO and VIDEO TS are each subdirectories.

I have several VideoName directories as subdirectories in a consolidation directory:

VideoDirectory --> VideoName 1
VideoName 2
VideoName 3

I can Add VideoDirectory as a source, and see VideoName 1,2,3, etc.

Attempting to play an ISO will crash Plex.

The Mac DVD player and my Nero player both work fine when fed the VideoName.

My MPEGs are set up the same way and work just fine.

Thanks for the help.

#6 cnf

cnf

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:39 AM

The DVD iso creator program creates output that looks like this:

VideoName --> AUDIO_TS --> empty
VIDEO_TS --> iso files are present

VideoName is a directory, AUDIO and VIDEO TS are each subdirectories.

I have several VideoName directories as subdirectories in a consolidation directory:

VideoDirectory --> VideoName 1
VideoName 2
VideoName 3

I can Add VideoDirectory as a source, and see VideoName 1,2,3, etc.

Attempting to play an ISO will crash Plex.

The Mac DVD player and my Nero player both work fine when fed the VideoName.

My MPEGs are set up the same way and work just fine.

Thanks for the help.

I think we are having a slight misunderstanding here…

An ISO is a file. Just one. It is a dump of a DVD or CD filesystem. ( ISO Image on Wikipedia )

What you are describing is the file layout ON the filesystem. Or what you would see when you MOUNT a DVD ISO.

The files in the VIDEO_TS directory are Video Object (or VOB) files.

Playing an ISO works great (a single file that ends in .iso, or .img)
Playing the VOB directory I have never tried...

#7 Billy Joe

Billy Joe

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

click the VIDEO_TS.IFO file (the first item in the video_ts folder usually) and plex will load the dvd and start the dvd menu.

#8 Frihet

Frihet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

click the VIDEO_TS.IFO file (the first item in the video_ts folder usually) and plex will load the dvd and start the dvd menu.

I will try this, but I think I may be getting close to the problem (it's not Plex, but closer to my original opinion). The "iso" files were created from archive DVDs containing PVR recordings with 1Click DVD Pro under Windows and saved to a USB drive hooked to the XP machine. The problem may be that the hard drive is formatted NTFS. I have just formatted a USB drive as FAT 32, and will try again.

#9 Frihet

Frihet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

I have just formatted a USB drive as FAT 32, and will try again.

The reformatted drive now contains one file, video.iso.

The video plays perfectly using the Mac's DVD player. I can now also copy and move the .iso with the Mac. I could not do that with the USB drive formatted NTFS.

If I select the file with Plex (cannot get to the .IFO), it crashes and asks to send a crash report. So, no change at this point.

I have, by the way, reinstalled Plex to see if that's the problem. Maybe I need to download and try again?

#10 Frihet

Frihet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

I tried running a .IFO file on the NTSC drive (still attached) using the Mac's file manager (whatever that is). When I tell it to use Plex to run the .IFO, Plex crashes.

#11 Frihet

Frihet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

I reformatted the USB drive as HFS Journaled. Now no ISOs (a rather loose definition) run from that drive when it is on the Mac Mini, although it is perfectly accessible and MPGs work fine in Plex or the Mac DVD player. ISOs in the form of a directory with a VIDEO_TS subdirectory still play across the network from the XP machine. ISOs in the form of a self-contained file (XXX.ISO) do not work on the Mac. Plex always crashes on an ISO of either type. My web browsing indicates Plex has problems here, so I'm probably wasting my time. I'll just use the Mac DVD player for ISOs, and use Plex for what it does well.

I've noted that the Mac file browser does not associate ISOs (of either type) with the DVD player. That's odd. It may be part of the problem. It won't let me do this manually.

I'm probably going to reformat the USB drive to NTFS, move it back to the XP machine, and network the files to the Mac Mini. That seems to be the most reliable solution.

I am going to use another tool to create an iso and see if that works any better.

Even if no one is following this, the record may be useful.

#12 nerpissad

nerpissad

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:21 AM

I've been able to play many .iso files even before I realized they were .iso files so I doubt it's the actual .iso fles (or .img for that matter) that's causing the trouble. let me calrify, I'd rather not doubt the ability of plex to be able to play image files over your inability not to play them.

by the way, I've been able to play these files on an HFS+ external drive. so I suppose this issue most likely originates from network issues.

What to do if you're new to Plex?
First you should have a look at the Plex Wiki, its full of all sorts of useful information. For all initial set-up questions, the screencasts are an invaluable source of answers.
If you still can't solve your problem, your
Plex log files are very useful source of information. Zip them up and attach them to your post.

#13 Thomas Höglund

Thomas Höglund

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:21 AM

Hi!

It seems that I have the same problem with iso's. Plex can't play movies in iso-format if they are located on my Win XP server...

/T

#14 convergent

convergent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hi!

It seems that I have the same problem with iso's. Plex can't play movies in iso-format if they are located on my Win XP server...

/T

I can play ISO's fine from my QNAP NAS accessing the share in SMB mode.... which should look to PLEX like a Windows server I would think.

#15 Thomas Höglund

Thomas Höglund

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

I can play ISO's fine from my QNAP NAS accessing the share in SMB mode.... which should look to PLEX like a Windows server I would think.

Ok, I can't even play ISO's from the local disc. However, the ISO's work fine in applications like VLC :blink: Very, very frustrating... :angry:

I'm running Snow Leopard with all possible updates and Plex version 0.8.5 (the latest)

Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users