1080p HEVC jittering Samsung 2014

samsung-smart-hub

Hello,
I can play 4k HEVC streams without any jittering or stuttering and there is no transcoding or buffering present.
Using a 78HU8500 Samsung TV, I am seeing issues with 1080p HEVC material.

There is no buffering problem, nor is the video transcoded to H264, but the video is somehow jittering and not very smooth. Is this a problem of the TV or maybe Samsungs software?

When the video is transcoded to H264, when subtitles are burnt in, I don't see any jitter at all and the video is played smoothly.
I could just transcode all videos up front to H264 but it seems like more and more video files are in HEVC.

Additional information, the same files are playing fine on a Nvidia Shield TV with direct play connected to the same TV.

Am I the only one seeing this issue? I don't want to reencode the 1080p rips, that I already have in HEVC and would like to know if this issue is caused by wrong encodes or if this is a general problem on 2014er Samsung models that just can't play HEVC 1080p material.

Personally, I've been staying away from HEVC. That being said, it could be the difference between 8-bit and 10-bit. I'm not sure how well developed 10-bit support was in the Samsung in 2014.

@felix.marx@gmail.com said:
Am I the only one seeing this issue? I don't want to reencode the 1080p rips, that I already have in HEVC and would like to know if this issue is caused by wrong encodes or if this is a general problem on 2014er Samsung models that just can't play HEVC 1080p material.

2014 H-Series

HEVC codec is only available in MKV /MP4 / TS containers. Streaming and DLNA are not supported.

Yes, this is a 2014 H-series model. 4k HEVC works without jitter, I only see this issue when watching 1080p HEVC direct plays. I switched back to using h264 encoded movies or force the transcode on existing files.

I've finally found a solution which is to use the SEK-3500U/ZG instead of the SEK-2500 no jitter with 1080p HEVC anymore...