4K content not direct streaming to 2017 Roku Ultra

roku

Hi I am trying to stream 4K files to my new 2017 Roku Ultra however for some reason both the video and audio content is being transcoded making it impossible to play (constant buffering). Am I mistaken that this should simply direct play?

Probably overlooking something as simple is file incompatibility but just want to be sure. Have not attached logs for now as I would need to read up on how to do so. Apologies if this is needed. Also if the file format below is simply incompatible please help me understand which type of 4K files I should be streaming to plex on Roku for direct play.

When playing the file the Plex server tells me:
Video transcoding HEVC to H264
Video transcoding DCA to AC3

My setup is as follows
Plex Media Server on Synology NAS DS1812+
Plex Media Server version 1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b
Roku Ultra 2017 version
latest plex preview player used on the Roku
4K TV LG 65SJ8500

File information
Source UHD Blu-Ray
MKV container
Video : HEVC/2160p,Real HDR
Compression: :Bits/(Pixel*Frame) 0.123
Audio : DTS MA 5.1 : Engels

Thanks for you help and please let me know if key info is missing

@asaweli HEVC content can direct play if the container and audio are also compatible. In this case, the DTS-MA audio is not compatible, and needs to be converted which causes a transcode session. This should be OK though, as we should be able to copy the HEVC stream instead of converting it to H264. However, the current Plex Pass channel does not support copying HEVC during a transcode. The official channel should work, and we’ll have an update in the near future to support this scenario in the Plex Pass channel.

Thanks. I will try again playing these with the official channel. Will report back here. How will i know when the plex pass channel is updated for this?

@asaweli said:
Thanks. I will try again playing these with the official channel. Will report back here. How will i know when the plex pass channel is updated for this?

I usually try to make my rounds and update threads when a fix has been made, but it’s always best to refer to the release thread for the Roku. http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/27134/plex-for-roku#latest.

@ljunkie totally works with the official channel :smiley: thanks!!! will keep an eye on the release thread

I had the same problem trying to stream 4K files, as soon as I forced Direct Play not only did the video load super fast but didn’t buffer once throughout. Before that it was unwatchable with constant buffering every 30 seconds.

@Emissary35 said:
I had the same problem trying to stream 4K files, as soon as I forced Direct Play not only did the video load super fast but didn’t buffer once throughout. Before that it was unwatchable with constant buffering every 30 seconds.

I believe I already had it on direct play but just to check where did u change this setting

Hey quick question for this scenario,

Doesn’t the roku support audio pass through? So couldn’t you just pass through the audio here and avoid the transcoding based on the audio?

This may sound ignorant, but what do you mean by Official Channel?

@kismeras said:
This may sound ignorant, but what do you mean by Official Channel?

Apologies… have been super busy lately and did not check out the forum for a while. There are two plex channels on the Roku… One is the normal one (official lets say) and one is the plex preview (or beta) channel which has new updates but not always fool proof tested (I am pretty certain that is a good way to describe it but am sure others can describe it better).

You can recognize the difference between the two once you have installed them both on your Roku by a little yellow diagonal banner in the top left corner of the preview channel which says … preview

So oddly enough, my 4k movies only work when I Disabled Direct Play. With it enabled, I get all kinds of errors.

Transcoding isn’t an issue, it’s running off a Threadripper 1950x but it’s weird to see this work for everyone but not for me.