4K on Apple TV 5. Gen

apple-tv

Hi,
I can not play my 4K movies directly, my plex server always uses transcoding. Is an update planned for that? The tvOS.xml fix does not work, it uses the transcoded instead of playing the movies directly...

@phu@mailpass.ch said:
Hi,
Is an update planned for that?

Let us all know when you find an answer to that.

Unfortunately I only found a "solution" with the modification of the tvOS.xml file. That solution does not suitable for me because the plex transcoder is still active and consumes about 90% of my available CPU ressources I only get a 1080p resolution.
Some users report that direct play was working after they made these changes.

Any news about an update from Plex?

The 1.18 version supports 4K I have tested it. What is your file format?

As seen here: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191469/plex-for-apple-tv#latest

oh great, thanks! I will check if I have the latest version.

File format, I'm not sure, I think HEVC

Video Stream is HEVC and it will not play directly... Still transcoder in use with the newest version.

@phu@mailpass.ch said:
Video Stream is HEVC and it will not play directly... Still transcoder in use with the newest version.

With MP4 or MOV container? because that's all that is supported.

Can't believe it hasn't been updated with custom player yet.

I've installed Infuse Pro and using Trakt.tv to sync Plex and Infuse watch progress.

We'll see what Plex does, I'd love to keep my PlexPass subscription but no point if both my player (Apple TV4th and 5th Gen have to transcode everything).

PLEX Really needs to write a dedicated app for the Apple TV and put an end to all of this. Hopefully soon.

Infuse has solved my problem... Unfortunately still no update from Plex!

@Curun said:

With MP4 or MOV container? because that's all that is supported.

Exactly, in order to support transcoding to HEVC or direct streaming, the server needs to implement support for fMP4. They're working on that, but no ETA right now.

Meanwhile, both iOS and tvOS apps only support HEVC in MP4/MOV containers (and, of course, the audio stream needs to be direct played too).

Why does it take so long...?
Infuse can play the files since a long time and it costs 12 USD (only for once...)

@phu@mailpass.ch said:
Why does it take so long...?
Infuse can play the files since a long time and it costs 12 USD (only for once...)

Have fun using Infuse