A few questions about using plex server with multiple firesticks.

server-windows

Hello, I have 3 firesticks and I am trying to do a system that plays a playlist on all three firesticks. I have a few questions regarding updating the play list, and how to use the logs to troubleshoot connectivity issues.

Question 1: I have the server set to scan the libary every hour, how do I get new videos added to the playlist automatically, and the old videos removed?

Questions 2: I have the Plex server installed as a Hyper-V host (Windows 10 enterprise), I was able to connect all the firesticks to the plex server, load the play list, shuffle, and repeat all. However, after about 1 - 2 hours the firesticks loose access to the server. I need to know where these drops in connectivity are logged so I can try to figure out what the cause it. It is a full gigabit network, all on the same subnet, all the other Hyper-V host do not loose connectivity, all other wireless devices have good signal in the same area as the tvs, low ping times when pinging firesticks from the server..

@Jason1154 said:
Question 1: I have the server set to scan the libary every hour, how do I get new videos added to the playlist automatically, and the old videos removed?

That’s not possible in Plex, AFAIK.
Once a playlist is started, it stays as it was. Even if you have a ‘smart’ playlist which updates itself dynamically, you’d have to stop playback of this playlist and then restart it for the new additions to be included.

You might want to look for a software solution from the field of ‘Digital Signage’

Questions 2: after about 1 - 2 hours the firesticks loose access to the server. I need to know where these drops in connectivity are logged so

On the server side, a loss of connectivity during playback should get noted in the main Plex Media Server.log. You need to have ‘Debug Logging’ activated on the server.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/
You could also inspect the logs of the Firesticks themselves.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201573117-android-android-tv-fire-tv-logs/

all other wireless devices have good signal in the same area as the tvs,

No wireless network has never any interruptions.
If you want guaranteed availability, go with wired clients.
There could even be an issue with the hardware itself, if they overheat after 2 hours of uninterrupted use with high-bitrate content.

Nonetheless, here is a tip which is good for both Plex Servers and clients on Windows:

Thanks I will check into your suggestions

Okay, sorry for the delay. I purchased fire stick Ethernet adapters, ran cabled, migrated the server off a vm to a physical device, entirely gigabit network, and disabled power management for the LAN connection. Still same issues.