AC3 5.1 sound not working on Fire TV 3rd Gen

android-tv
fire-tv

I have a 3rd generation Amazon Fire TV, and I'm unable to get AC3 5.1 output from the Plex app. All local files and Live TV streams encoded to AC3 5.1 are sent as 2-channel audio to my Yamaha receiver. On the Fire TV itself, I have enabled Dolby Digital over HDMI. Other apps like Netflix properly output AC3 5.1, so the problem seems to be isolated to the Plex app.

Is this a bug with the Plex app? Are there any workarounds to get the Plex app to output AC3 5.1?

This is a major issue for me, since I use the Fire TV for Live TV streaming, which is only broadcast in AC3 5.1.

FireTV, Plex server, and Plex app firmware up up to date as of 1/12/2018.

I also have this issue. It appears that the client thinks that passthrough is disabled even when set to auto.

Support, please respond as this issue as been going on since July of last year.

I enabled logging on the device. Passthrough was set to auto:

01-21 19:20:32.014 i: [DeviceCapabilitiesChangedBehaviour] Recording source codec (ac3) support: true (Passthrough: false)

The response I’ve received from support is that it’s a firmware bug with the Fire TV. However, all other apps (i.e. Netflix, HDHomerun View, etc.) work fine and properly output Dolby Digital. It seems unlikely the issue is with the Fire TV firmware, but that’s all I have to go on.

Amazon did just release a new firmware version as of 1/22/2018 for me: Fire OS 6.2.1.2 (NS6212/926)

Plex support, can you confirm whether or not this firmware revision fixes the bug in question? If so, when will there be an update to the Plex app?

@kbadkins said:
The response I’ve received from support is that it’s a firmware bug with the Fire TV. However, all other apps (i.e. Netflix, HDHomerun View, etc.) work fine and properly output Dolby Digital. It seems unlikely the issue is with the Fire TV firmware, but that’s all I have to go on.

Amazon did just release a new firmware version as of 1/22/2018 for me: Fire OS 6.2.1.2 (NS6212/926)

Plex support, can you confirm whether or not this firmware revision fixes the bug in question? If so, when will there be an update to the Plex app?

If it is firmware issue of Fire TV, then why do previous Plex client versions work?