Alexa ask plex to play music... (nothing)

alexa
voice-control

so have Plex client running on Android, tv and Firestick.

If i say Alexa ask plex to play Meatloaf... Alexa says OK.. but nothing happens.

for TV Shows, If i say Alexa ask plex to play Arrow... it will play the latest unwatched episode fine.

So there is some sort of issue here when asking Alexa to play music.

This happens with a few other people i have spoken too at work.

If i look at the Alexa webpage, it has heard my music command and can see the reply of OK.

I have the Amazon Echo DOT.. i do no not have the big version.
I am running latest version of PMS.
i am running latest copy of PLex Clients.
I can select & play music fine via the Plex Clients.
I can ask Plex to Pause playback of a TV/Movie so she is communicated to the plex client.. just Music is a problem

just Alexa isn't able to tell the client to play the music, or the client isn't actioning the request from Alexa.

is this know issue, anything special needs to be done ?

Can you play music from Plex on the Dot?

Like echo ask Plex to play meatloaf?

Should play on the dot itself and not on a client.

thats what i am asking Alexa.. to play music.. but i get zero music from anywhere.

so does.. .."Alexa ask plex to play meatloaf" = play on DOT ? if so then nothing plays... so what should i
be saying to play music from the FireTV Plex App or the SamsungTV Plex App? thats where i want the music to come from.

If you want it to play on a different device you need to say "Alexa ask Plex to change my player" and select your device for playback followed by Alexa ask Plex to play meatloaf. Note Not all clients are supported afaik.

tried that.. i still unable to get it to play music... to any the clients or even the dot.

So casting music to a remote Plex player should work just fine if you're able to cast video. Music on the device is broken in some cases (outlined here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/303556/update-on-playback-issues) and we're actively working on fixing those.

so basically i can ask Alexa to play a movie at it will work fine.. but if i ask Alexa to play music to the TV/Firestick/whatever then it currently not working?

It should work. What exactly are you saying to Alexa when trying to cast music?

Hi..

first i asked Alexa to change my player... it finds the TV App and makes it the default player. (could have been the firetv app or one on my phone)
next i ask it to play some music.. it makes a suggestion of an album and asks if i would like to play it,
i say yes.. she responds, ok playing music by x... but nothing plays.

what/how should i be asking to play music and i can try it. ta

Hi i have the exact same issue , the only way to get this to work is to connect to my phone via blue tooth and that's what i don't want if I'm not in range with my phone,i want to play the music directly from my server , the issue is that my echo dot does not see itself as a plex player ,, please help us

@Kazgor said:
Hi..

first i asked Alexa to change my player... it finds the TV App and makes it the default player. (could have been the firetv app or one on my phone)
next i ask it to play some music.. it makes a suggestion of an album and asks if i would like to play it,

To play music on the plex app on your phone or TV you would have to say Alexa, Ask Plex to play Taylor Swift on Fire TV. The Alexa skill will always default to playing music back directly on the device. It sounds like that bit is broken for you and there's an internal issue we're tracking with NAT loopback to address this.

@Kazgor said:
Hi..

I had the same problem before. Just now, I tried to fix the "Indirect" issue I'm seeing on my plex account. After fixing that, when I ask alexa to ask plex to play music, plex now plays music :-)

Check first if you have the indirect issue on your setup. You can see this when you access your account on https://app.plex.tv/. If your server shows "indirect", then you have sa dns rebinding issue.

Solutions for the indirect issue:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/288183/only-have-indirect-connection-to-my-plex-server-on-my-local-network
http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1516941/#Comment_1516941

What's cool is that I can see plex transcoding for alexa. I have flacs on my music library. It's transcoding it to mp3 :-)

I hope this helps you.