Alexa Hates Guns 'N Roses and then offers Movies instead of Music.

alexa
voice-control

Morning,

When trying to play music via Alex from PMS (see my both post about Oh Something when wrong, I’ve alerted the Plex Team to take a look.)

I’ve discovered Alexa can’t match to Guns N Roses. The Alexa skill get very confused and jumps from music over to films. eg

Richard -> Alexia Ask Plex to play music by Guns 'N Roses
Alexa -> I’m sorry I couldnt find the artist Guns 'N Roses on the plex Server… Suggest Something ?
Richard -> Suggest Something
Alexa -> How aBout Continuing Your Viewing of Harry Potter…
Richard -> No thnak you,
Alexa -> Would you like the NingaGo Movie?
Richard -> No.

as it it goes on, I’m going to upload a voice recording for your enjoyment! (see the zip file)

Two Issues this have highlighted.

1. No Match To Gun 'N 'Roses. I guess this is because of Alexa’s conversion into Guns AND Roses and that’s failed on Plex Server
  2. If I’m asking for Music, Surely the Alexa Skill should offer more music from this collection (see screenshot)

Thoughts Please…

Regards Richard

I’d guess the ' part of the title is throwing off the search. As a temporary workaround try renaming the artist to Guns and Roses. There’s some internal discussion ongoing internally to identify pain points in the search algorithm and to improve it as punctuation cases are especially painful.

That’s Alexa? Stone age. That would frustrate me right to a hammer.

@vanstinator

Any chance of Updating the Skill to offer ‘Suggestions’ Whcih are in context, eg Music when I asked for Music not Films.

And As for Changing Gun’NRoses in the Media Data… Are we sure we should be hacking our Meta data to make your Alexa Service work?

And As for Changing Gun’NRoses in the Media Data… Are we sure we should be hacking our Meta data to make your Alexa Service work?
You can do that right in Plex without editing the media itself. It’s just a suggested workaround.

Any chance of Updating the Skill to offer ‘Suggestions’ Whcih are in context, eg Music when I asked for Music not Films.

We can look in to it