Alexa - No sound

alexa
voice-control

Using my Echo Dot I was able to setup my Plex server and I was able to, using voice command, select and play a song, but no audio came out. When I login to my Plex server I can see the song playing but nothing comes out of the Dot/Audio.
Any advice?

Please review the FAQ:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115000320808-Getting-Started-with-Alexa-Voice-Control

The Dot is not a playback device at this time.

Sorry to hear that I won't be hearing.

You connect your dot via bluetooth en get Plex sound that way.

@dragon2_nl said:

Plex will not see the Echo Dot as a playback device, no matter what speakers you attach to it.

@kegobeer-plex said:

@dragon2_nl said:

Plex will not see the Echo Dot as a playback device, no matter what speakers you attach to it.

Does that not entirely depend on what client you are using? That is if I am using a client that is Bluetooth enabled and you pair it with your Dot would it not produce sound from Plex via the Dot?

I tested using a computer I have that has PMP running on it and paired it with my Dot and when Plex plays media the sound comes out from the Dot exactly as expected.

That is it does not matter if Plex sees the Dot as a Playback device but only if the client sees and uses it.

@kegobeer-plex said:

@dragon2_nl said:

Not Plex itself no, my pc that runs PMP however DOES ;-)

Plex music (or houseband music) in my kitchen using voice commands, yes yes.

Just pair it using bt like I said! The dot thinks my (bt enabled) pc is a phone (it literally said after pairing, next time just say 'Connect my phone') and will play all sound coming from it like a good little speaker :-).

@Elijah_Baley said:
That is it does not matter if Plex sees the Dot as a Playback device but only if the client sees and uses it.

Yup.

Not as nice a solution as playing 'native' music, but for me it works just fine :-)

BTW,
Kinda weird that plex doesn't talk about this option, no? They make it seem as if the dot cannot play anything at all aside from native stuff.

I got the bt idea from google/the houseband/iriver forum. Got a demo version of iriver working before coming to the conclusion that 1) I already have Plex and 2) I don't need/want another server and 3) I already paid for plex and not for iriver LOL so I tried the same using plex and of course it worked.

iRiver has 'zones' which may or may not come in useful (personally i have no need, that's more like a sonos-option), and more importantly it handles playlists much better, Plex come on ;-)

@Elijah_Baley said:

Then Plex is not using the Dot as a playback device in that case, you are streaming to a client that uses the Dot as a speaker. Quite a silly step - if I want good music I'm not using the Dot's speaker.

I have 2 months by now with Plex playing all my music on my Echos and Echo Dots, it very buggy specially when you ask it to play what you want and it stops playing often. But if you are ok with those it is a good player. check your firewall settings, the connection between Alexa and Plex is quite different than 32400, Plex Media server uses 32400, Alexa uses its own and then Alexa to your Plex use a complete other.

@"gecedwards@yahoo.com" Do you still have media fail often during playback? We've squashed most of those bugs so I would be very interested to know if that was still happening.

yes , I still have them, to make it work i ask Alexa to play different songs and usually it starts to play in the 2d-3th try. Please find the last log attached

@vanstinator ,
just to let you know that the issue is still there, no too often but it is till there. what i did i wiresharked my alexas and my plex server and what i noticed was that the pllex server doesnt receive the Alexa request, funny coz Alexa comes back with the plex status,BUT! doesnt send the play request or well it never arrives.